TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

That’s ridiculous. It’s not like they are footing the bill for it.

How about a walk in clinic? They do take insurance but it does cost more for you to go there.
 
The problem with the walk-in is I have to have a doctor order it. I don't even care if insurance doesn't cover it. I'd just pay out of pocket anyway. I will call and ask them. It can't hurt. We have a couple of people at church that may do it. One is a retired nurse and the other a paramedic.
 
I hope you can find someone to draw blood. It isn't all that difficult. I used to work in a clinic in my 20s and learned to draw blood, its a shame you aren't closer. I would think if you can convince the retired nurse or the paramedic to do it, it would be fine. Provided the kit comes with tubes to put it in? A syringe? My husband was in a lab tech program at a tech school when we were young and way back then they used to beg for volunteers to come in an let the students practice drawing blood. No idea if that's still a thing.

I also think I if you can you speak directly to PCP or OS they might be willing. Sometimes the staff is much worse than they are.
 
I also think I if you can you speak directly to PCP or OS they might be willing. Sometimes the staff is much worse than they are.
Agreed!

Is there any rule that the blood must be drawn by a professional? It would be a shame after spending all that money on the kit only to find out they disqualify it because it wasn’t drawn “properly” by their terms.
 
Well, I had to send the metal testing kit back. First off, I called my PCP and spoke with his nurse. She said she they didn't know anything about mental testing. I told her that all I needed was 4 tubes of blood drawn. She said to call a local lab. I called them. They said no, not without a doctor's order, to call the hospital. Same thing, I had to have a doctor's order. Then I called my OS. His PA said he didn't do those. I finally found a lady at church that was a retired nurse. She agreed to draw my blood for me. I got the paperwork in the kit out to start and fill in and low and behold, I had to have a doctor's order for the lap the kit was from to do it. I called them and asked if this was true, and it was true. I told her I had already paid for the kit and had it in hand. I asked why they sold to me without a doctor's order. She had no answer and said I could send it back if I wanted to. If I wanted to??!! That was $573 out of my pocket!

I went online and prepaid for UPS to come by and pick it up. I also paid for a 'signature required' delivery. To ship this back cost me $38. This has been an expensive lesson! So, you guys, be sure you don't jump the gun like I did and order a metal testing kit without your doctor giving you an order for it!

Before my next replacement I will insist I have the metal allergy test done. I've never been able to wear nickle earrings and they are tiny compared to an implant.
 
@sistersinhim My hospital doesn't do the testing often, but they will do it. It was a small hassle because it's not a usual test for them, plus they had to send it out to the Chicago lab, but I went in armed with the exact info from the Chicago lab on how they want it all done, and they got it done. I did it through my OS; he ordered it and I went to the lab and they followed through on it and the insurance paid for it all.

I'm hoping my OS will make some changes in their procedures for this before surgery-even if it's just asking patients about their reactions to earrings, belt buckles, etc. That would have made all the difference in my case as I would have told them how fast I react to nickel earrings before the surgery instead of after I had problems! Belt buckles have never really bothered me; granted I don't wear them often, yet they drive my daughter nuts with rashes, etc. But earrings make my ears start itching, then they start to leak pus, then they bleed on me, within a very short time frame. When my doctor did the skin test for metal reactions I was sure I wouldn't react since I never have with belt buckles on my skin-just earrings inside my ears. Much to both our surprise I got a large rash from the nickel, but none from the other metals he tested on my skin. This was confirmed by a later LTT metal allergy test.

I'm hoping you can get the test done through one of your doctors asap even though you probably have to pay for it yourself; if it were me I'd throw such a hissy fit that they'd agree to do the blood work just to shut me up.....lol.
 
Was it a typo in your 2nd sentence: mental testing?
Maybe I should be tested for my crazy mind! :heehee:

I'm not having a lot of symptoms of an allergic reaction, just discomfort that continues to get a little worse as time goes on. Before my next tkr I will insist that my OS order a metal sensitivity test. Of course, I already have one implant. My problem might be the previous 5 surgeries I've had on it. Or, it's loosening. After all, it is an Attune by Depuy. But, I'm going with the previous surgeries making it hurt!
 
Seriously though, I don't have symptoms of an allergic reaction per se, just vague symptoms of swelling, pain and stiffness with ROM that bites. Every test except the allergy test has come up negative and/or normal, so we're left with that as a possible reason. The last x-ray I had about a month or so ago showed "a subtle lucency around the tibia" which was a possible loosening, but not conclusive, naturally. Either way, it's been four years, so as my OS said, it's time to bite the bullet and replace this sucker.
 
Last edited:
@sistersinhim When you have the next one done will you request a different brand? Or rather, refuse the brand you have now?
 
What a horrid experience. I'm sorry you had to go through this but it is a good lesson for us all.
 
When you have the next one done will you request a different brand?
Depuy isn't using the same cement that was recalled. I don't know what I would do. I will do a lot more research before I make up my mind. My OS prefers this implant and I don't blame him for the maker's mistake. I will do a whole lot more praying about it, too, before I decide to have another DePuy implant. It's scary to read on here about the Attunes becoming loose. But, we have to remember that not all of them are loosening, just a small percentage. All implants have some failures.
 
I was sorry to read about your kit experience. When I saw my OS last, and the allergy possibility was discussed, he said an allergist could do a skin test but that was not a reliable test in his opinion. I mentioned the blood testing and he said that was something I would need to discuss with the allergist. So... I actually see my OS again on 4/4 and I am to be allergy tested at my allergist on 4/5 (for dog/cat/horse/dust mites/mold - I've taken shots for 5+ years so we're testing to see if I can stop them). I'm going to discuss the blood test with her and even show her the listing on their site of all they test for (the Chicago place you bought yours from for post TKR). I've discussed the possible allergy issue with her about 6 months ago and she thought I would be showing much more symptoms and that I was just early in my recovery. So... when this all is discussed, I will let you know what my allergist says Paula. I'm thinking she may even be able to put in the order when/if I would do it. And... I do plan on having it done because I want to make sure I don't have a subtle reaction due to my pain continuing this long. To be continued... and I'll let you know. :console2:
 
@jaschembra, yes, please let me know what you find out. I hadn't thought of going to an allergist. That's a great idea! I'm concerned about this lingering pain, too. If I remember right, I was much better off before my fall on my knee last May when I broke my bones. Now, it just seems that I'm having more bad days creeping in. I'm a little concerned. If it keeps on I'll go get another xray. That will rule out the loosening.
 
That’s a great idea, to go to an allergist. If you pay for the test, I don’t see why an allergist would have a problem with ordering it. I saw an allergist prior to my surgery, to rule out metal allergy, though I did not do the blood test. Just patch tests. I just think it would be a good thing to rule out.

I’m also concerned about the incidents of loosening of the Attune implants. Like you say, though, only a very small percentage have shown this. It’s more of a peace-of-mind thing, I guess. I’m not having problems... but I would like to go forward confident things will stay that way. If you’re having issues, it’s a good idea to talk to your OS and get an X-ray to rule out loosening.
 
Back
Top Bottom