TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

I'm with you there about the snow. I am scared to death of falling. One fall on the new knee is enough! They are calling for warmer weather starting Monday here. Maybe even 60 by Friday. We will have to be very careful to not get sick with these yoyoing temperatures!

Take care of that knee! I will mine, too.
 
would carrying heavy weight, like my firewood, cause my tkr to wear out faster? I don't want to overdo it.
Don't think so. I've lifted some heavy stuff, took a 30kg bag of cat litter upstairs was one, but that was before the fatigue issue hit! To be honest I never ever give my knees a second thought - actually never give them a first thought, either! Something done for long periods of time and repetitively like jogging would be a risk though.
 
Thank you, Josephine, that sure eases my mind! I remember reading that we shouldn't be using the leg weights in the gym, and got to thinking carrying stuff is like using leg weights. But, my carrying loads are in short bursts. I'm sure those others that have heavy jobs to do are relieved that they are OK doing so!

This morning it hit -13. A friend when out and fed the fire for me, so I didn't have to go out there in that cold. My new knee isn't having the pains like yesterday, so it must have been the extreme cold that caused them. I still have discomfort behind it when walking, but the resting front pain is gone!
 
Leg weights at the gym are different from the weight of carrying firewood. The weights at the gym typically put stress on the joint itself, while carrying firewood is a whole body exercise. The gym machines target certain movements and tend to isolate muscle groups. I think you'd have to carry a whole lot more firewood than you need even at -13 to cause damage to your knee.

Even so, I hope you warm up soon. That's awfully chilly!
 
Oh good, Jean! Thanks for explaining that. In the past, I was unable to do the leg machines at the Y because they caused extreme pain. And I still haven't been up there in quite a long time to try them out now.

I am concerned about some new problems with my knee. The back of it and both sides are starting to hurt at certain movements. The back of it has hurt while walking for about 3 weeks. My knee actually woke me up last night aching. It hasn't done that in probably 6 months. Hopefully, it just the knee's adjustment to my handling firewood. My hyper-extenting is getting more frequent, too. I don't like these new changes. Scary.
 
Oh. I would be concerned about that too. Since my New Year’s Eve “adventure,” my right leg has felt more like it wants to cramp. I hope that will go away soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I guess with new knees we will always be concerned about any differences in them. I guess in time we will learn to ignore them and get on with living!
 
I hope your knee pain subsides soon! I regularly carry 40# bags of pellets from the outside shed to the house with no ill effects - I agree with PolarBear about the difference between whole body exercise vs isolated leg machines.
 
Something has caused my knee to be upset. I called my OS's PA and said that he will xray it when I'm ready. I will wait a while and see how it does. If it's the increase in heavy lifting, it should adjust to it quickly. It's just weird because the knee was almost painfree and now I'm getting discomfort in all kinds of different places on it. So, right now, my knee is becoming the center of my attention again. I thought that was over with!
 
Hoping that knee settles down for you. Of course, to ease my mind, I would need those X-rays unless it really felt muscular to me. I'm sure it is getting some extra, new form of exercise with your wood, etc. So maybe it just needs a bit of time.
 
Having a knee act up after it was doing so well really deflates the spirit. It probably is the new activity. Even a subtle change in movement can throw a healing knee into conniptions. :gaah:
 
I’ve been sitting in a different chair/ottoman in the evenings and my knee has been unhappy. I couldn’t sit in this chair for months after surgery. It’s amazing how a slightly different angle can affect my knee. I can sit there now, but my knee feels uncomfortable when I get up and it lasts a while.

I don’t know if I should persevere and let it adjust or just wait a while longer and try again later.

It’s a chair in my bedroom. Sometimes I just have to get away from the tv in the living room!
 
Oh, and the weather has been all over the place here the last week or so, so that may add to my knee’s drama personality. :gaah:
 
I don’t know if I should persevere and let it adjust or just wait a while longer and try again later.
You know we can, "if it hurts at the time or even later on, don't do it for a while." I'd stop sitting there for a while and try it later on down the road. If it still hurts it, stop. If it doesn't hurt, then try it for a little while. As it improves you can add time to it.

It has been warmer the last couple of days, and I've been handling less wood. The knee is probably 50% better! It still hurts behind it when I walk, but the rest of it is better.

Now, I have symptoms of left shoulder problems. In 2012 I had 3 torn tendons repaired in my right shoulder. The left is starting to show some of the same discomfort as the right. Man, if it ain't one thing, it's another!
 
Oh no, I’m sorry you shoulder is flaring up. Maybe try carrying smaller loads of firewood? Our temperatures are supposed to go low again tomorrow, down to 14 tomorrow night.
 
I have an outdoor boiler type heater that has a firebox that's 2'x2', so many of the individual logs are quite heavy. If the wood is cut too small, they burn up really fast. I need to use my upper back muscles more than my shoulders. If my body's rebellion keeps up, I'm letting the fire go out and just use my home's electric heater. No big deal except for my bank account's shock when I pay the bill! But, I'm blessed to be able to have the option of going back to it. I just didn't think I'd be so 'old' at only 66! OK, it's time for me to get off of the pity pot!
 
I agree about not expecting to feel “old” in my 60’s!

That’s great that you do have the electric heat option. Yes, it’s expensive, but if you keep stressing your body you will pay a medical person as well as hurt. Maybe for a time the electric heat will be “priceless”.
 
ha! I've got you on that... didn't know I would feel so old "sometimes" at 57. You can have a pity party anytime you want because you're always soooo upbeat for soooo many of us.
 
Back
Top Bottom