TKR No Kneecap and a TKR Experience

Thank you, ladies! You make me feel so much better! I'm going to pray about what to do with the fire. I'm almost out of wood anyway. And now everything's so wet I can't use any wood I cut for a few weeks.

@Jockette, you made a good point of 'pay now or pay later'! And if it saves me some pain, well that sounds good to me! Yep, I'll pray about it.
 
I read (on Jockettes thread) where you have a tendon on your medial side that sometimes pops or feels like it needs to. I have the exact same thing occasionally. It gets really tight. When it happens in the pool, and I do a certain move, it will actually feel like it has popped and then actually feels much better. So as you said, I think it gets stuck or something and I just assume at some point it will stop or I will stop thinking about my knee so I'll be ignoring it. :) Just wanted you to know that someone else out here knows exactly what you're talking about with that particular area. :)
 
Thank you, @jaschembra! It feels like it gets caught on something, which is quite painful, then 'slips' back off. I thought it was because I don't have a kneecap and the tendon is catching on the edge of the implant, but I have no idea if that's even possible. It happens only when my knee is bent and I move it from the center to the medial side while still bent. Since I'm aware of this, I try to do this very carefully. Can you feel it coming on? I can, and I can move my leg back the other way and prevent it. I'm not really concerned about it since I can control it. Can you stop yours?
 
Yes I can. It hasn't happened lately. I've had it happen when I'm in the pool, lifting my leg up on a slant in order to touch, for example, my left foot to my right hand. That angle of the leg is when it can happen if it's already feeling really tight on that medial tendon. Gosh.... only TKR people would talk this way lol!!!
:rofsign:
 
Last edited:
Yes, that's it! I'm afraid to try and lift my leg that way! If you are getting the same thing and have a kneecap, then I can't blame it on not having kneecaps! Wow, I guess it's just one of those things we'll have to be conscious of. Who knows if we'll 'outgrow' it or not. I hope so!
 
Yes, we’ve learned a lot of new terms and abbreviations!
 
Just finished reading your entire thread @sistersinhim. Your recovery has been amazing and at times challenging. Have you decided when you’ll have the right knee done? My revision is in two weeks and I’m hoping this time my recovery will be similar to yours. I love reading your posts they’re very uplifting and informative. Enjoy your day/night. I have no idea what time it is there. I’m in Australia, it’s really hot and I can’t sleep lol
 
Hello @shelli22. Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad my thread was helpful to you! All in all, I've had a pretty good recovery considering the 5 previous surgeries I have had on it! Having my kneecaps removed in the 90's has left my legs weaker than they'd otherwise be, but I can do most anything I want to do!

I have already had my right one done. It isn't as good as I thought it would be, and the old, left is still better than the right, new knee, so I'm holding off until the right one gets better. The new knee is better than before the tkr, but disappointing. Once this tkr leg got better, it took some of the pressure off the old knee and it isn't as painful. As long as stays like this, no tkr on it! I don't want to go through another one!

I'll be following your progress on your revision. I pray it is a complete success!

Why did you have the arthroscopy on your tkr knee? Did it help for a while?

I hate hot weather. I'm at the age where I'm still having my 'personal summers' and summertime I'm miserable. I can handle winter so much better!
 
Please, all of you pre-op and post-op folks...try to sign up for the Joint Replacement Awareness Day event.
We all want it to be a big success and try to have all resources in one place for those considering joint replacement and those moving forward from joint replacement.

JRAD will be the largest online educational event ever to be held on the topic of joint replacement and up to 100,000 people are expected to tune in. It will feature presentations and panel discussions with the top experts in the orthopedic profession including surgeons, nurses, and physical therapists, as well as patients who have gone through the joint replacement process and can speak to its benefits and challenges.

Bonesmart was an invaluable tool for my recovery and I'm excited to see what this will look like. It was comforting to have support and advice from Josephine, with decades of experience, and all those that have been through joint replacement who were and are willing to listen and help! To have such a large group of all things joint replacement on that day will be amazing.

To have a large number of our members participating will certainly benefit all involved. We CAN make a difference, and we can get the attention of all involved in all areas of joint replacement...
I hope to learn something and hope we can all lend our voices to highlight our unique experiences.

There is a link that will take you there at the end of my signature.
Hope to see you there! You won't be sorry!
 
I thought I'd let you know my experience yesterday. The weather was perfect here, so my friend and I decided to put up a couple more surveillance cameras outside. I was up and down a ladder about 6 times adjusting the angles. One of the times I thought I'd try the right foot first. Well, there's little strength from my foot up. Before my breaks, I was able to go up a ladder with my right foot first. This was the first time trying it since healing from my breaks. Nope, hardly any strength in my knee at all, either. Boy, have I lost a lot of muscles since then. I guess this girl has some work to do! But, I can't do too much. My foot, ankle and knee were all very unhappy last night. They are better today, but not up to par yet. Slow and easy will get me there.

It just goes to show you that trying something too early causes pain and swelling! Even the Bonesmart way has to be used on my foot and ankle rehabs!
 
Your strength will come back as you do a little more each day. Just remember it’s slow and steady that wins the race!
 
Yeah you for being able to go up and down a ladder like that and to do it many times. Wow! Slow and steady wins the race. Hope your entire leg feels better today/tomorrow.
 
So what is your definition of work to do?
I will use the right, recovering leg to be the leading leg up and down the steps more often. No weights, other than my own body. I believe getting back to the Y and swimming would be a big help. Time and patience!
 
You know what your leg needs, but I’m glad it’s healed nicely.
 
Hey guys. I told you that I had ordered a metal sensitivity kit on my own. Well, I have been unable to find anyone who will draw my blood. I called my PCP, they said they knew nothing about it, to call Lab Corp. Nope, they have to have a doctor's order. The hospital says the same thing. As a last result, I called my OS. His PA said that they don't order metal allergy tests, to go to an allergist. All of these people I explained that all I needed was for someone to pull 3 tubes of blood. I sure hope I can get my $573+ back for this kit. I have to see my PCP for a complete physical this Thursday and I will ask him face to face if he'll order the blood to be drawn. I have everything I need to ship it back to the lab, so that's all I need them to do!

My suggestion is to get someone to order the kit for you, then they will draw your blood. What a aggravation this has been. I would really like to have this done before my next replacement.
 
Back
Top Bottom