Hello from the other side! I had my surgery yesterday, first patient of the day like they had said. Everything went smoothly, I have a very vague memory of them prepping my leg to do the nerve block and then a bit later transferring myself to the operating table and getting into position for the spinal, but that’s about it.
I woke up in a bright and beautiful room, my brother was with me and my son drove up from chicago and walked in with some beautiful fall flowers and a few spooky season (our favorite) gifts and he was such a sight for sore eyes. Because we had figured out my pain cocktail last time, asking for and receiving the meds was so much smoother and quicker this time.
The best news, I got to go home on the same day! With my right knee it was a mandatory stay overnight because I have a couple of heart conditions. The OS had told me last week the goal was to get me home same day but the PT, OT and hospitalist would have to get on board, so I wasn’t really planning on it. I know how that stuff can work. But I was doing really well and passed both therapists with flying colors. Then the hospitalist came in and was very thorough, asking the nurses about my blood pressure and heart rate through the past few hours, and asking me how I was feeling and if I was prepared and wanting to go home. Last time around I was relieved to stay overnight, but I really wanted to go home this time if possible and finally he said he was comfortable with me going home! I had surgery at 7am and was home by 5pm, which is longer than the typical day surgery I think but I was so delighted.
My brother had already picked up my prescriptions and was versed in how to use the ice machine so I was in my cozy nest pretty quickly.
The night was bad and I only got a little over an hour of sleep, but I was expecting it this time and that claustrophobic what-did-I-get myself-into feeling didn’t overcome me. I know how happy I am with my new right knee and am trying to stay hopeful that at some point I’ll feel the same about my left knee. I know it could be way different this time around but I’m trying to keep obsessing over that at bay. I have a really obsessive personality so we’ll see how that goes.
Ok, it’s time for my antibiotic and my breakthrough pain medication. Sorry for my wordiness, it’s always worse when i’m medicated lol. I’ll be back to fill you in later, I remember from last time that days 3 and 4 were horrible and I was running a fever. Hoping to maybe switch that up this time
