THR night time muscle spasms? collateral damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to tell whether it's more front or back, but I'd say somewhere between C & D under R2.

I spoke with my friend who proceeded me in the hip replacement (he's over 2 years post-op) and he suggested it could be the piriformus and that I overdid it with weight bearing? I went to the gym this morning to walk and do some weights, and sure enough it flares right up with a test 'squat' (only tried it once).
 
I have had similar when I have "over-did" it. It settled down after a few days. I also felt similar pain when being on an extended car ride. If your xrays post op were all good then my guess would be it is muscular. >Putting excess strain on muscles that are weak and not used to being used (due to years of compensation) is probably what it is. But I am certainly no expert... maybe take it easy for a bit? :)
 
billyedtimmy Hi, I'm just reading your thread now, and it seems like the long car ride and what you did over the weekend may have been too much for you, especially the car ride. I would think that the best thing to do would be to take care of it just like you would any pain - rest, ice, elevate it - or lay down more, and take some pain medication. I don't know if you've considered or are able to take an anti-inflammatory, like ibuprofen or naproxyn, (Advil or Aleve) but my doctor says it not only relieves the pain, but helps get rid of what's causing it by reducing the inflammation.
You've come so far, this is just a small bump in the road of your recovery, it seems. Good luck!:)
 
Well, I didn't handle this well: Thought it was a little better and I'd just 'push through'. Put in 25 tomato plants in my garden yesterday, and today I can barely walk. I actually had to get out my crutches due to the amount of pain/irritation when I try to walk. Guess I didn't take it easy enough, and now I'm forced to. Arrrg. :hairpulling: Guess I'm up for a couple of days of 'couch potato mode' and popping anti-inflammatories and muscle-relaxers. It's kinda funny that I find myself yearning for an Oxy (to just knock me out!). :heehee: Ah well, will hopefully update with better news in a few days.
 
I currently take 400 mg of magnesium daily and have for a long time, because I found it was good for muscle cramping, especially after my long workout days. Is this the dose recommended? Also, where is the article written on Magnesium?
 
Yep, I've been on 500mg+ per day of magnesium since about 1 week post-op (which was over 5 months ago now). I think I was taking over 1000mg per day for the first few weeks.
This new pain is something different. Very reminiscent of pre-op in that it's a sharp pain brought on by weight-bearing. Hopefully taking it easy for a few days will mend it.

Here's the article Sharon posted on Mag: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.17169/
 
Mamarey, I wrote the article on Magnesium, regarding dosages, you can take sufficient Mg up to the point where you start to get loose bowel actions.. Not that I ever recommend or would prescribe that as it can so easily unbalance other critical minerals as Mg activates enzymes, contributes to energy production, and helps regulate calcium levels, as well as copper, zinc, potassium, vitamin D, and other important nutrients in the body.
 
Hi billyedtimmy, hope things are easing for you now. I found lifting and any activity like bending down and stretching (i.e. gardening) bothered my hip at first. It think it's from years of not being able to do any of that. Muscles are complaining. Ice (or heat if it work better) and a bit of OTC pain meds. Rest and then try again. One day you will do it all and not even think about it!
 
Update: Well, I guess I have to hit bottom before things start looking up. The hip is being completely unreasonable with me. I'm back to crutches, because every step is a shooting pain. Whatta ride. :headbang: To top it off, the weather is absolutely lovely and I can't do a darn thing except hobble around with these crutches. :gaah:

I was really hoping to be so much better by now (and I WAS better up until a week ago) as I have so much to do on this farm. Luckily, my regular job is a desk one, for the most part. Grinning and bearing for now. I have an appointment with my physio (who will be surprised to see me) tomorrow to figure out some stretches and gentle exercises that I can do while playing this waiting game. sigh.
 
man billyedtimmy what a pain, in all senses.I'm sorry this is happening to you-- and you were so better and healing! Surely the crutches can be adapted to put in small plants, or hoe the veggie garden, or um act as a rudder on the John Deere?:wink: Hope your physio has just the ticket for you :)
I'm only 2 weeks+1 day out, and several days ago I attempted my first 10 minute 'real" walk out in the street. I developed a pain like what you mention-- stab on weight bearing. So long as i stay inside and on my meds, i'm not getting it. but it's difficult to develop a good gait indoors LOL. Where is my castle with ballroom when I need it?
Poppet haha I get that loose bowel effect at the dose my cardiologist recommends for certain occasions. Sigh... LOL
 
Thanks zauberflöte! Sounds like you're doing better at 2 weeks than 1 was at that time. On my hip diary, I note that at day 19 my longest walk was about 50 meters from the house and back (and I was sore the next day!). :loll:
 
haha billyedtimmy I only said that i walked for ten minutes-- I didn't say how FAR, did I? I got 3 houses out from mine, so, um about 100 meters one way. But it was very much farther than I'd been in the house! 30 feet this way, turn, thirty feet back, 10 feet this way, turn, 10 back . My dad got a hip replacement while living at the bottom of a fist-size gravel paved driveway in a very rough yard. he'd walk a mile a day in a 15 foot hallway. MAN!
The nurse today said i was doing very well, but i have to say, I don't think there was any reconstruction in my surgery, and i was still walking with no aids and doing a lower body strength routine when I went in. So i had a head start.
 
billyedtimmy...we seem to be on a similar journey. I felt my best at about 11-15 days. Have had a lot of the stabbing pain since them. It is all tied into weight-bearing activity, which includes just plain ol walking.
I went to my first PT today, didn't have the therapy today, it was the basic intake. Therapy will start Friday. She tested my range of motion, so areas better than others, and I had NO range of motion prior to surgery. I was getting around with crutches, a cane and a walker. So there is improvement there. She said my leg length is even. My OS had a lot of work in that department as well as a lot of work getting my leg re-aligned properly.
I am very tender in the whole IB band. She told me not to be concerned with strength...I have plenty of that in reserve, and the rest will come back quickly. It is all about increasing my range of motion.
Lots of ice and elevation, which I am doing, and she suggested taking a break from the treadmill and elliptical, and the stationary bike is a better choice for now. Keep seat higher than may seem right and not too much resistance. I tried it at the gym today and did 35 minutes and 9 miles. It was ok, but boy oh boy, it makes for a sore bumm.
Every day is different on this path of recovery. Many steps forward and backwards. I just get so impatient, because I am not used to being so inactive. It makes me restless , which in turn makes it difficult to sleep.
I also asked her about my gait. When my groin is hurting, I fall back into my old gait. It is my way of my body compensating for the pain. So, as my range of motion improves, and the inflammation decreases, all will find its way back to normalcy. My body's time, not mine
 
billyedtimmy - not sure PT is going to help that pain you are having. You might want to check with your surgeon and make sure there is nothing amiss!
 
Well, my surgeon isn't real responsive in terms of follow-up. He's a very talented surgeon, but after that.... ;-)

Beside, as I understand it, the only possibilities that would trouble him would be (a) dislocation or (b) loosening. I'm pretty sure that my problem is muscular in nature, since my 3-month post-op X-rays were excellent. I believe that it's just some of those little muscles in the hip area that have been asleep for over a decade are now coming awake and are not please that they're having to work. I'm hoping my PT can confirm and give me some stretches to help them ease into their new roles. :)
 
Just got back from PT, he's 99% certain the problem is muscular in nature. He wants me to take it easy for 2 weeks, keep on and slowly ween off of anti-inflammatory meds, and step back to easy ROM exercises during this period. He suggests if after 2 weeks it's not better, we'll get in touch with the OS.
 
[Bonesmart.org] night time muscle spasms? collateral damage?
Sounds like a smart therapist with a real plan. Keep us posted. We care.
 
Sounds like your PT is a real winner! Hope things ease and you can get back to normal soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom