THR night time muscle spasms? collateral damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope fades. :sigh: I can't believe what a difference things are lately compared to a month or even two ago (In a bad way): In April, I was walking comfortably with ZERO pain and no walking aids, even up to 2 km with only the side-effect of varying degrees of stiffness.

However, since this most recent 'episode', over the past 2 weeks I've only improved slightly (from using both crutches to just the cane about 80% of the time yesterday). I thought I felt well-enough yesterday to do so (and the garden was desperate), so I did a bit of weed-pulling in the garden. Today I could barely walk across the parking lot at work! The pain is SO similar to my pre-op pain, it's disheartening. I can't believe how such relatively modest activity puts me back so easily, and I'm 6-months post-op as of last Friday!

Everything else during my recovery process (e.g., overdoing it at the gym) was always swelling/stiffness. This new stuff just feels like a bone-pain. It's a sharpness that increases with weight and/or distance. I've called my OS to request an X-ray. I don't know what else to do to rule out a skeletal/implant issue. Any suggestions?

It's interesting (perhaps) to note that this onset of pain in the past few weeks comes at a time when the joint feels least stiff/tight. For instance, my ROM took what felt like a relative leap (e.g., can tie my shoe easily and even put on my sock with 2 hands some now). Is there any correlation? Is it possible that my strengthening over the past few months was only applied to a specific 'range' of motion and now that I can move more the muscles that weren't 'worked' previously are really mad from relatively little use? No post-op pain was ever like this before though. Arg.

I'm in Canada, so who knows how long it'll be before my OS gets me an X-ray requisition and has time to review it. I need hope. Second to that, I need booze. :martini:
 
billyedtimmy, if I do anything "new" (i.e. something I don't do everyday - like gardening) I feel it the next day. If this was the first time you did gardening post op you are bound to have aches and pains. I am not a medical expert but sounds like complaining muscles to me. And you say the stiffness was easing. Perhaps you are doing more now and paying for it? Are you taking anything for the pain? These things take time - sometimes over 12 months.
 
Thanks Jaycey. Sadly, this was rather 'less' that what I was doing regularly a month or two ago. E.g., I put in a couple-hundred feet of fencing/posts and had none but stiffness to complain of in April. The bit of weeding this weekend seemed relatively modest in comparison.

Aches/pains I'm ok with, this piercing/nagging pain is what seems so different. Is it normal to have pain switch gears to something so new this far along?

I'm resolved to do NOTHING except short walks for a week and see how it goes.
 
Hard to say what is "normal" billyedtimmy. We are all different and recovery can take many months for some. I agree with your plan though. Let things settle for a week. Maybe some over the counter pain relief? If it continues after that rest I would see if you can hook up with your OS just for a check. Please keep us updated!
 
billyedtimmy I've just caught up with you-- I'm sorry this regression stuff is going on. Judging from my small/short experience, standing activities are better tolerated for me than stooping, crawling ones. I really hope the xrays come back clean as a whistle!
Umsale welcome, and hey to a fellow Virginian! You will be a valuable addition to our "experience pool" here :)
 
Alright, X-rays are good. No bone/prosthesis issues identified, no infection likely. Guess I'm just a wimp. :loll:

Anyway, more rest and anti-inflammatory meds are the order for a week. The pain is beginning to settle some, so at least we're going in the right direction.
 
TENDINITIS of the hip is my diagnosis.

Makes sense, I remember having tendinitis in my elbow from playing too much tennis 20 years ago, the sharp pain and inflammation rings a bell.

I didn't really feel like I did that much to bring this on (i.e., the symptoms weren't, and never are, immediate), but the doctor's theory is that over my last 10 years of hip degeneration, the muscles/tendons haven't had much of a work-out, so the activities I was getting into in April and May probably were too much for them

Guess it's back to ice, lots of rest, anti-inflammatories, and NO garden work (arg). I'm really, really ready to be 'normal'. :gaah:
 
I have just glanced through this post but wondered if those of you suffering spasms have considered Restless Leg Syndrome aka Willis-Ekbom disease? I have had this for years. Sometimes it feels like creepy crawly sensations but it sometimes is more like a jerking that will wake me at night. I take Ropinerol (Requip) daily for this. Just a thought.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom