THR night time muscle spasms? collateral damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow Canadian! I am almost the same age as you and have had similar experiences with stiffness, restless legs at night, and groin pain. Although my groin pain is because I had a dislocation, I just saw my OS last week and he said that it is not uncommon for people to have groin pain after this kind of major surgery. Remember, they pretty much cut the end of our legs off and all the surrounding muscles are affected. He said that by the 3 month mark, everything should be fine so it is just a waiting game. I am just a few weeks ahead of you (had surgery Dec. 7)
As for the night time twitches, I hope the magnesium worked for you; I still get them occasionally too. Massages and a proper diet help. mine also subsided somewhat when I started sleeping on my side.
As for your knee pain; I also have this problem. I physio told me that I have been compensating for the last 8 years and using all my muscles incorrectly and that it is going to take a long time to start using them properly. I asked my OS about it and he just gave me some topical anti-inflammatory and didn't seem too concerned. I think the main thing is to give it time! You are only such a short time out of a major assault to your body!!
When you see your OS, make sure to bring a list of questions with you! Good luck!
 
Thankyou ntdr for open and honest account of what you are going through us newbies love this sort of stuff :) love your profile pic !!!
 
FWIW, my PT had recco'd I stay off anything like an eloliptical or stairmaster- but to ride the staionary bike on low resistance- this way you are not putting to much pressure on the hip.

Tried a stationary today and just couldn't get it. Even with the seat set out to the max (pedaling on my tippy-toes), there's just too much flexion required when it comes back around that I just don't seem to have enough of yet. Hopefully in a few weeks.
 
Hi Billy.. Try again in a couple of weeks.. You will get there :)
 
Tried a stationary today and just couldn't get it.

Are you used to cycling? I have to ask- as at the risk of sounding 'off', I apologize in advance if you know this already. I know not everyone is as 'crazy' about cycling as I am and therefore not as keyed in 'proper' riding, and I see LOTS of improper posture both on stationary bikes and on the road (and around here the latter is usually due to rich fools with too much spandex and more bike (read:$$$$$$$) than they could ever even know how to use!:snork:) - a 'proper' pedaling position should be with the ball of the foot set over the pedal spindle an the seat height set so that your knee is slightly bent at the lowest point of the downward stroke.

and not to worry if it takes a while to get used to- you are only a little over a month out- I was not even able to get access to a stationary bike til about my 2 mo point, and I could only do maybe 5-10 min on low resistance, so I can imagine it wouldn't be that easy for you just yet.
 
Are you used to cycling? I have to ask- as at the risk of sounding 'off', I apologize in advance if you know this already. I know not everyone is as 'crazy' about cycling as I am and therefore not as keyed in 'proper' riding, and I see LOTS of improper posture both on stationary bikes and on the road (and around here the latter is usually due to rich fools with too much spandex and more bike (read:$$$$$$$) than they could ever even know how to use!:snork:) - a 'proper' pedaling position should be with the ball of the foot set over the pedal spindle an the seat height set so that your knee is slightly bent at the lowest point of the downward stroke.

and not to worry if it takes a while to get used to- you are only a little over a month out- I was not even able to get access to a stationary bike til about my 2 mo point, and I could only do maybe 5-10 min on low resistance, so I can imagine it wouldn't be that easy for you just yet.

Yep, I cycled to work for years, so no stranger to a bike. My issue right now is just that my flexion is still stuck at about 70 degrees, and pushing beyond that gives me a sharp groin pain (so I avoid pressing it). It doesn't seem to be physically possible to pedal a full rotation with this limited flexion at this time. I'm only 6 weeks post-op, so hopefully it'll be better soon.
 
Ahh, awesome on the cycling in the old days! figured I'd do that last post anyways as it might help anyone viewing...

FWIW- at ~8 wks I was cleared of restrictions and it took until about a week ago to be able to bend/squat at a pretty good level- the muscles/tendons seemed to take what seemed like forever to allow me to even bend 'proper' at the knees to pick something up off the floor.
 
Billy, it can often take up to 12 weeks (and sometimes beyond) to get full ROM, but for six weeks I believe your are doing very well :)
 
Hey, since I'm apparently really good at talking out my *ss :snork: - thought I'd throw some info in that may or not be helpful that I scrounged on the interwebs while searching for post THR bike saddle recco's-

Just to show how much conflicting info is around - I have seen that ellipticals both recco'd and discouraged today:scratch: - I guess my PT figured it was just not for 'me'

One site had actually recco'd pedalling 'backwards' slowly if forwards was difficult- apparently helps.
 
Hey, since I'm apparently really good at talking out my *ss :snork: - thought I'd throw some info in that may or not be helpful that I scrounged on the interwebs while searching for post THR bike saddle recco's-

Just to show how much conflicting info is around - I have seen that ellipticals both recco'd and discouraged today:scratch: - I guess my PT figured it was just not for 'me'

One site had actually recco'd pedalling 'backwards' slowly if forwards was difficult- apparently helps.


Ah yes, I read that as well about the backwards eliptical-ing. ;-)

Lucky me, I got to go to the gym today with my friend who had a hip replacement 2 years ago. He walked me though a lot of the machines, and even for those having nothing to do with the hip (at least not obviously), I hadn't though about the benefit of just any motion at all (even if it's just getting on the machines themselves, some of which are quite difficult). Some of the leg equipment felt pretty good (all done with no resistance set), some (like the abduction machines) were pretty close to impossible.

The best thing of the day though (to my surprise) was the treadmill. Before my surgery, I hated treadmills. They hurt like h#ll and I never wanted to do any more walking than I had to (much preferred cycling and kayaking for my cardio). Well, it didn't hurt! I could walk along comfortably (yes, I'm still stiff and ache, but it's like nothing at all in comparison to pre-op!). I'm sure I'll continue to marvel for months and maybe years about this, but after 15+ years of agony, it's a whole new world! :-)
 
Right on, man, that's great you had pal who could help you out- I keep thinking that when I had my home PT, I should have hauled her down to gym to point out what I can/cant do. I had lots of trouble with the abduction at first too- could hardly put 10# on it- today was 45# and 4 sets/16 - heck yeah! The adduction one is still pretty hard- and on that I really notice my limited ROM.

When you back on the 'real' bike- I'll be curious to hear how you find the saddle, and if you hear any recco's - My slim, (yet padded) MTB saddle is killing my hip I think- I've picked up a couple to try out and find something 'wider' and 'cushier'. Some advice I heard was to look at 'women's' saddles.
 
When you back on the 'real' bike- I'll be curious to hear how you find the saddle, and if you hear any recco's - My slim, (yet padded) MTB saddle is killing my hip I think- I've picked up a couple to try out and find something 'wider' and 'cushier'. Some advice I heard was to look at 'women's' saddles.

Hmm, I hadn't even considered that yet. I have one of these (broken link removed: https://www.derriair.com/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm - not this brand specifically, and mine looks a little 'sleeker' than these, but it's the same idea) on both of my 'serious' bikes (the commuter and the Ute... the mountain bike keeps the MTB since I'm off it as much as on it).
 
Yes, pedaling backwards does help heaps.. I still find my coordination gets all confused.. Keen to hear how you go with it.
 
7 weeks today - Flexibility is very gradually improving. I can just about get to 90 degrees while lying flat on my back. Standing up it's still a little under 80.

I've pretty much stopped with the pain meds, since, well, the hip doesn't really hurt (just the occasional temporary aches after walking). However, my lower back is the worst part of me right now (perhaps I should finish out the Oxycodone to address that?). It's beginning to make it tough to sleep. I wake up several times per night with the back just in knots. I'm able to sleep a little on my non-operated side with a big pillow between my legs, which helps a little, so hopefully that'll keep improving to compensate. Any good tips for getting good/solid sleep?

Happy Friday everyone!
 
I've pretty much stopped with the pain meds, since, well, the hip doesn't really hurt.
However, my lower back is the worst part of me right now - I wake up several times per night with the back just in knots.
Any good tips for getting good/solid sleep?
Yes, bear in mind that at a mere three weeks out you are still experiencing post-op pain! As evidenced by the back pain and the fact that your hip doesn't "really" hurt! If that's the case what does it 'really' do?

So you might try some of your prescription meds just at night and after a week or two, just take 1,000mg Tylenol instead. I bet you'll sleep a lot better once the pain is managed properly.
 
Well, today was confusing and a bit aggravating, mixed in with some good news as well.

First the good news: Had my 2 month follow-up today (at exactly week 9 post-op) and my x-rays are 'picture perfect'. Everything is good as far as bone growth into the prosthesis and its positioning.

However, the surgeon didn't seem very happy with my ROM. He asked if I'd been doing anything at all as far as physio (?!), and I responded that I do my exercises several times every day and see my physiotherapist once a week. I feel like I'm doing as much as I can in that arena! He said I needed to be working harder on flexion. The pain when I try to get up to 90 is probably internal scarring. Seems I may be overly prone to scarring (some of my family members say they have the same problem). The surgeon says I need to be walking a lot more than I am. In contrast, my physio had said that I don't need to push the walking too far and certainly don't need to push the physio into pain. Today, when the surgeon pushed really hard (at least to my feeling) on the flexion, it hurt like hell!

How do I beat the scarring? I've tried pushing the flexion up to 90 and all I get is pain (well, and resistance). I've tried just doing my heel-slide exercises as instructed as far as I can up to (but not including) pain, but now am I suppose to be pushing beyond that? Both the surgeon and the physio said they'd start to worry in 3 more weeks, but at this point I can't imagine gaining that much ground in that short stretch.

I guess what's frustrating is, reading between the lines, I'm definitely behind on the ball and what actions I take now may effect the functioning of the joint permanently? I worry because this has happened to me before: I broke my wrist snowboarding about 5 years ago and had to have surgery to repair it. Scar tissues as a result of that made my physio on some motions a torture-fest and I could never really 'push past it' no matter how hard I tried. In the end, it just had to calm down on it's own (in several months) and I lost probably 15 to 20 degrees of supination (turning palm upward) on my wrist in the end. Of course, there may be some bone issues there and at least I know the hip is 'clean' of that as such.

Anyway, is there a movement timeframe threshold on this hip in the same manner such that after a certain point there's no getting it back? I'd really love to hear from anyone who at 9 or 10 weeks was still stuck well below the 90 degrees mark in terms of hip stiffness who later got their full range of motion back in time.
 
Hi Billyedtimmy. I am no expert on PT or ROM issues, and I don't even know what flexion means exactly. And internal scarring....I think that means adhesions. So let's get some knowledgeable opinions for you. Josephine and alexthecat could you two comment on the questions and concerns in post #58?

Sharon
 
Hi there, Jo and Alex will be along to give their expert opinions.. MHO...

The goals of rehabilitation include increased strength, range of motion, and functional gait, that is what we all want.. Sometimes it takes longer than our OS or PT has in mind..

When the fibrous, hardened scar tissue (cross linkage) is normalized and softened, it is able to function more like "normal" tissue in its ability to be mobile and support your new joint structure.

Maybe consider some treatment of the soft tissue of the hip and pelvis may help you to facilitate an increased range of motion, so that physical therapy to strengthen the muscles will be more effectively. Also, the muscle tissue will strengthen more easily since the scar tissue and adhesions will have been released allowing greater flexibility of these tissues.

It all takes time though and at 15 months post, I still don't consider myself fully healed or have full ROM and I know that when I over exercise I experience swelling and discomfort from swollen, inflamed tissue and occasionally muscles which are still healing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom