BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[TKR] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by jaschembra, Jan 2, 2017.

1. sistersinhim

sistersinhim Forum Advisor

United States United States
    A good night's sleep is a blessing!

2. jaschembra

jaschembra Graduate

3. sistersinhim

Yes. Her name is Adorable, Addie for short. She was a rescue from the dump about 15 years ago. She was so scary up until a year or so ago that nobody good touch her. She has finally come around and clings to me most all the time now. After my tkr I spent many hours in my recliner and here she is sleeping on my good leg. She, as are my other rescues, are my medication and therapy! Taking care of 11 of them kept me busy, even right after the surgery. I didn't need pt, I had it at home.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jaschembra

jaschembra Graduate

Had PT this morning and I'm pretty swollen and stiff. Of course I'm taking it easy, icing and elevating.
    I did have a conversation with the Therapist and informed her that when I ask her not to touch me, I mean, don't touch me. I said, if I need to push, I will, but "I" will do it - not you. I didn't have to push anywhere and she was satisfied with my bend. I need to work on the extension, but it's still very early. She informed me that she had been easy on me and just wait until I go to out patient! Well, I know from 2 yrs ago, my PT's goal was to do it, but to never cause me pain!! Unfortunately she is not there any longer, but I hope it's the policy of the therapy place - if it hurts you, we're not going to do it. Today she wasn't happy that I only did the exercises 1 x per day since Monday. What she doesn't know is that I only did about a 3rd of her requested exercises!

5. PegGar16

PegGar16 Graduate

When I had mine done the home PT was just concerned with me safely getting around with the walker..trying the heel to toe when I did use it. Heel slides just to the point of uncomfortable. During the 2nd week we worked on some standing exercises that didn't hurt at all. Moving the leg sideways, to the back, forward with a tight quad and then try to lift the leg to the front like you are marching. Week 3 we would walk to the corner and back with the walker (very flat sidewalk and driveway) I know it wasn't much but out patient PT was impressed with what I could do. And of course I was living with my "Iceman":)

6. Red's Mom

Red's Mom Graduate

Glad things are going well Julie!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

7. jaschembra

jaschembra Graduate

@PegGar16 yea, my PT is already trying to stick a towel under my heel during a leg extension at 1 week post op!

Thanks @Red's Mom

8. UACats70

UACats70 Senior

9. mbrown

mbrown Senior

@jaschembra do the exercises that they wanted you to do at home hurt you? If not, why wouldn't you do them? Glad your doing well.

10. sistersinhim

@mbrown many are finding that you don't need to do the exercises. The knee rehabs just fine and even quicker without doing them for many of us.

11. mbrown

mbrown Senior

@sistersinhim I'm thrilled that worked for you and others. I really am. We will just have to agree to disagree on the benefits of doing the the rehab. My OS probably would have refused to do the surgery if i had told him I wasn't going to do the rehab.

12. jaschembra

jaschembra Graduate

The exercises did hurt me @mbrown and after she was here Monday I was a 10/10 on the pain scale so we were not going to have a repeat performance. Not to mention I have an OS who wants me off the Percocet by this weekend or shortly after. Also, I get extremely swollen afterwards and it takes all day to try and get it down. She was better today and let me do it on my own.

13. jaschembra

jaschembra Graduate

@sistersinhim my 148 lb Cane Corso Mastiff is at home with hubby. He made the mistake of mentioning "mommy" and she just went looking every where for me. Her name is Thunder. :puppysmooze:

14. UACats70

UACats70 Senior

Any Oxy is very hard to get filled in my area. I had to go to six different pharmacies just to get the single OxyContin 10mg extended release my OS had me take the morning of surgery. I talked to one pharmacist who said CVS is starting to not fill it anymore and sending those who need it to Walgreens or Rite-aid. The opioid epidemic in NJ is real. Although, not sure what junkie is gonna fake a script for ONE pill.

15. jaschembra

jaschembra Graduate

Tomorrow I am cutting my 1 1/2 Percocet, every 6 hours down to 1 Percocet every 6 hours. Keeping the Tramadol at 100mg every 6 hours. I plan on adding a couple of Tylenol as well, making sure to keep the acetaminophen total for the day under 3,000. I can tell that the surgical pain is getting to be a bit less. Time sure is flying! I can't believe my sister and I have been together for 8 nights already. She goes home on Wednesday.

16. jaschembra

jaschembra Graduate

17. UACats70

UACats70 Senior

@jaschembra crazy right? P.s. My Saint Bernard Molly (4years old) was in love with a Cane Corso named Brutus. He passed away and she is equally smitten by his replacement which is an Italian Mastiff named Bane. We're probably gonna get another Saint Bernard or a Newfoundland in June after we travel to England in May. Our other Saint Bernard Libby passed away two years ago.

18. mbrown

mbrown Senior

Well I agree 100% if you were in that much pain. Getting off the Percocet that fast seems like a head scratcher. One idea that worked well for me when I was trying to find the right med schedule was that when I cut from 2 Percocet at a time to 1 instead of every 6 hours I did every 4 hours. So instead of 2 every 6 I started taking 1 every 4. Then I started pushing the 4 to 5, 6, etc......that might work better for you than just cutting dosage in half.

19. jaschembra

jaschembra Graduate

Thanks @mbrown i had that thought and may still need to do it. I'm feeling pretty much pain/discomfort this morning. Just trying to ice it away!

Would anyone watching this thread care to tell me what level their pain was at 9 days post surgery?
    1-10
    I'm kinda unsure what level of pain I should be feeling while still on pain medication at this point. So, not sure if I'm undermedicating or if this pain is to be expected. I'm usually between 1-4 while lying down and 4-7 while walking or sitting to eat my meal at the table.
    Thanks. :)

20. L.I.T

L.I.T Senior

@jaschembra, those were about my pain levels exactly around day 9. On the outsides, I had pain levels at nearly 0 or 1 a couple of times, but also around 8 or 9 once or twice. My pain levels started to be a little more consistent toward the end of week 2 - and now at start of week 4, they mostly seem to be around a 2-4 with occasional flare ups to 7 or 8...usually after PT. I'm also trying to cut back a wee bit on my meds since the pain has evened out a little.

Hope this helps.