TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

@jaschembra, I hope the Monovisc injections provide at least some relief; crossing all digits!:fingersx: I had tried them in the past and fell into that latter group mentioned above; pffft. But, I do know some people for whom they've worked very well. It's certainly worth a try to forestall surgery!

Yikes, I can't imagine anyone even suggesting injecting your own knee! I was able to manage the blood-thinner injections, but abdominal fat and a very small syringe are a very different kettle of fish from a joint capsule!

@Canada35, I'm cringing at the mere thought of 420 steps! Talk about determination and motivation!

I'll be curious to see the official answer on the *Hot-Knee* syndrome, but suspect it won't chill out until healing is complete.

Hah, yes, good idea to increase the time on the stationary bike and up the resistance before pedaling into the "real world!"
 
Yea @Pheebs52 the real world would mean buying a bike as well lol. I took my old bike to the bike store for a free quote and to get it up to par and safe, was basically nearly the price of a new bike (it was the price of this bike 13 years ago lol)

So far no change for the right knee, but I know it can take awhile but I also know I had no relief last summer.
 
My knee was warm for a few months and seemed to be warm after a lot of activity.
 
I did just remember that 2 1/2 years ago, when I had my right knee scoped for meniscus and arthritis clean up, it was still warm at 6 months and that was only a scope
 
Oh wow, just from a scope, eh? Good to know!

Bummer on the bike; wah!
 
What is the difference between Synvisc, Monovisc and cortisone injections?
 
@flyaway79 Synvisc and Monovisc are basically the same type of shot; however, Synvisc is usually 3 injections in 3 weeks unless it's Synvisc One. Monovisc is 1 shot (equal to 3 Orthovisc shots). These are Hyaluronan and are like gel shots meant to help with the fluid in your knee joint capsule. Cortisone is a steroid meant to reduce pain and inflammation. These are my definitions in answer to your question although I am not a pharmacist. :)
 
Thanks! I had the 3 injection Synvisc. I have never had the cortisone injections but my doctor is going to try that in my bad knee at my next appointment. I'm not expecting a whole lot but the cortisone injection she gave me in my hip last week for my Bursa problem worked great! So who knows. I'm willing to give it a try.
 
Can't wait for BoneSmartie tech folks to get it all back to normal. :) I cannot see or write on any threads when I am logged in. When I am logged Out, I can read all threads.

I hope everyone has a great day! :loveshwr:
 
Patience is failing me...chronic pain/discomfort. I need to get back to my gratitude journal for a reality adjustment of how good of life I really do have! I seem to be stalling in the recovery mode - regarding this tight, semi painful, when standing or walking, feeling. I know my OS said I would have aching for 6-8 months and I'm 7.5 months out. I'm thinking that most doctors make surgeries out to be less than they are so his estimate of 6-8 months for me is probably more like 8-10 months. I still seem to get so much swelling (granted, it goes down once I'm icing and elevating or just elevating). I still have a lot of discomfort and the pain in my right knee isn't helping. My daily steps are actually less now than they were around the 6-7 month period. I've been trying to not take the Meloxicam and/or Tylenol for 2-3 days in a row and then I give in and just have to take something. My next plan of attack is to go ahead and take the medicine on a daily basis for a week to give my mind a mental break and hopefully feel less discomfort.
Ugh is my word right now. And... I MUST remember - I've just rounded the corner of the halfway mark of this year long healing journey! Okay... as I type I'm climbing up out of my pity party...
 
:friends:Here's a hand up from the pity party. We've all been there. I'm on #2 TKR and when this new OS said expect a 6 month recovery I rolled my eyes at him. He looked sheepish and said, oh yes, you've done this before. To which I replied how about a YEAR recovery? He admitted I was right! I PROMISE it will get better. Having a second knee dragging behind does not help. I did that, too. I found that cortisone helped my old knee more than the gel injections as time wore on. ( I had Supartz inj. 45 over 7 yrs! )
Hang in there! Rest when your knees need it. Ice and elevate, take your meds.
 
((Hugs)) jaschembra. I guess the "dog days" of recovery are longer than we would like or that we anticipated when we started this long journey. I think the plateaus are to be expected but it is still aggravating to be on one - I think I have been on one for a couple of weeks - and perhaps even a setback as I have had more swelling this week than last. I would encourage you to continue with the Tylenol if you need it - it's not a sign of weakness and if it helps you to get through the days and get better sleep you will feel better mentally. Halfway is a good thing -- every day from here on out gets you one day closer to full recovery (vs your surgery date). We've all hosted and been to pity parties -- Bone Smart pity parties have the best guests, snacks, and party games! Hang in there :flwrysmile:
 
I'm at 5.5 months and boy has it been up and down!

I can really understand the whole year long (or more) recovery now. Not even half way through and still having lots of issues. But I guess if the true recovery period was what we want it to be I would be totally healed up and not giving my leg one moment of thought. Kinda like when I had my gall bladder removed. At 4 weeks it was totally healed and I haven't given it a thought since. I know, two totally different surgeries. It you get my drift.

I've been a guest at many pity parties over these past 5 months. Right now I'm just letting what happens happen. I know I have absolutely no control over my healing. I'm sure days of frustration will surely set in again (and again and again). For now, I'm just going with the flow......

Hang in there :thumb::) :-) (:
 
The specialty pharmacy that called with my shipping date was going to send it to my house. They said it showed, an injection I could administer myself. Yeah, right! I said nope, that syringe goes to the doctor's office. there is no way someone administers a shot into their own knee capsule! (maybe Josephine could) :loll:
That's outrageous! Injecting into the knee capsule is a very skilled job. I'm glad you told the pharmacist.
 
(((jaschembra))), you have been such a help to so many of us. Sharing your experiences has benefited loads of us, including me. Please know that you will get through this. You were told that a cementless implant would cause more pain than one with, but your bones are growing into this implant. How more solid can you get than that! It will be worth it for you in the end. Just try and baby that knee of yours as long as it's fussy. You know what to do. But, having to do it gets so old. I know, I've been there, and still am there part of the time! Come on here and vent and your BS family will be here for you!
 
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom