TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

[Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017< @Josephine I read the description for the red and blue areas on another thread and I thought the blue was most likely related to IT - I've started stretching my IT band according to the exercises I've seen on the link you all provide. Thanks.
 
@jaschembra im sorry you are having a bit of a setback. Keep that ice on and you will feel better soon I'm sure. I don't think I'd move from that gorgeous spot you are sitting watching your stepdaughter and her mount!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

It's that time of day again! No, haven't had a bilateral, but I should have!! Not really, still would have been too chicken. I was pretty ouchy after riding my horse and I almost wondered if the natural knee was screaming louder. Hmmmm.
Enjoy my homemade ice pack covers. They sure have been handy (old, big blue jeans). About time to put the packs under my knees. Like being at the spa!
8 months tomorrow - I'll need to post an update tomorrow
 
Happy 8 month knee-versary to me and a couple others that may see this post!

I tried to look back to another monthly update and only really saw my 6 month update. I'm a lot like I was at 6 months, although I probably go down stairs a little better and there are little snippets of time when my bionic knee feels better than my natural right knee. I was feeling a bit unsure of my pains for 8 months this week so I emailed my OS to #1 ask about Leftie and #2 give him an update that Rightie isn't really feeling benefits of Monovisc - It doesn't seem to swell, but nothing makes the bone/bone go away. So, he told me a couple of things about Leftie after I told him I was still experiencing: heat, swelling, pain when walking/standing and stiffness. Uncomfortable high knee stepping, going down stairs and just general everyday movements.
He answered: Stiffness will continue to improve but 8 months is getting close to the end of time for improvement (I have a hard time believing this but I explained later, I'm only stiff when first getting up or not having moved in awhile). Pain and weakness will continue to improve. I asked again about the swelling and he said - he said he expected it to be 20% bigger around than the other knee at this point and there is still time to have improvement on the swelling. I measured my knees and my bionic knee is only 3/4 inch larger than my natural knee so that's no where close to 20%. That seems exaggerated (20%). So, I was glad to hear that everything is normal and pain will get better. Although he didn't actually say this is normal! I pretty much feel this based on all the reading I've done on BoneSmart, but the mental games the mind plays is the pits.

- Most of my pain is on the lateral side of the knee from top to bottom. I'm assuming it has to do with healing and IT band and IT band attachment. I think part of this may be from all the un-level property I walk around here - up incline to chickens, and down incline to horses! I do get some pain upon flexing on the upper medial. Still feel some pretty strong discomfort in the top of my shin/tibia which again, is just recovery. All that hardware: the implant spoke and 4 screws. @sistersinhim I know you didn't like it at the time, but it is good to hear that you too still had pain during your recovery at 8 months and that it got better by 9 (even though you still have some occasionally). I have faith that this implant is solid and will last a long time, but I need to feel pain-free before I go this route again. :umm:

- I'm trying to only take the Meloxican or Ibuprofen maybe 3 days a week if I feel the swelling is the problem. I usually take Tylenol or Tylenol Arthritis every other day, 1 x/day. I tried it everyday last week but it didn't really make a difference in my discomfort level. I do think it gives some relief, but I've been taking stuff everyday for so long, I just feel I need to give my insides a rest. Years of this stuff is not good! I've been rubbing Diclofenac Sodium on my knees too, although, I'm not sure that it does much (it was cheap through my insurance, so figured I'd given it a try)

- My activity level hasn't really changed (less in some ways - not swimming as much) and if anything, I feel my steps have stalled back on the 6-7 month mark. 6,000-7,000. I know that's still quite a bit. My knee-twin and I tried our Wed. water aerobic class (we have avoided it for 8 months because it is the aerobic class of the week versus more strengthening class on Mon. and Fri.) - Well, we both felt it and for a couple of days. I even took 1/2 Tramadol with my Tylenol Arthritis and Meloxicam that night. We're not doing it again for awhile! I am very blessed to have a knee-twin that is recovering at a rate very closely to mine although she has less pain than I have.

- I am still happy that I have done this even with the pain because I know the bone/bone pain and instability of the knee would have just gotten worse. I have to trust and believe that I will continue to have less pain. I know I will! I've been writing in my gratitude journal (actually, my knee journal) for about 3 weeks again and it does help my mental "altitude". I try to make the effort to use my bionic knee more and more as my primary knee to improve on strength.

- If you're still with me after reading this lengthy post :loveshwr: I am very thankful for BoneSmart and all the BoneSmarties! Enjoy your day! :friends:
 
Nice update! I'm almost exactly two months behind you and I can say "ditto" to just about everything you wrote. Although my doctor said healing and progress in everything will continue for at least a year or more. I also don't have the shin pain anymore. My nemesis is the tight band feeling and the occasional crunching feeling we spoke about last week. Has that disappeared for you yet?

I too have cut way back on the amount of Tylenol I'm taking. Was taking it everyday now just when I feel more stiffness or achiness. And if I really overdo it I throw in a Tramadol.

We are going to get to the end goal yet!!
 
@flyaway79 I'm still having the crunchy when I bend.
Do you think you feel more of the insides as the internal swelling gets less (the metal and plastics working together)? My local knee twin and I were thinking that we do.
 
Absolutely! I'm also getting more of a clicking as my swelling goes down. I'm all over the board with the way things feel from day to day.

I have been trying to make a conscious effort to not worry about every little twinge and pain. I just have to trust that at the end of the 12,18, 24 months or whatever it may take it will all work out. It's exhausting otherwise.
 
As I sit here massaging my IT band with a hand massager..............I could be writing your 8 months update (even though you are a little ahead of me). Also having lateral knee/lower leg pain I am convinced it is IT band/ tight hips causing this as I can replicate the pain by stretching.
Thus my focus for the next few weeks is hips/IT - pool, massages and stretching.
Our OS seem to have the same philosophy of time healing all so we might as well continue to go with it
 
Hey ladies, so I am at 9 months , very similar progress, feel really good some days and sore and tired others. I walk around really well, been back to the gym for 2-3 months every Tuesday and Thursday before work , do 15minutes on bike 15 on elliptical and then lite weights, working the legs leaves me sore a couple of days, then I am fine. Back was hurt at work so seeing a chiropractor once or twice a week, tight when I bend over, went to my monthly massage, they have been working my hips, she said i was tight from new knee through my y hip and butt, so I have been working on that, the hip abductor at gym works wonders. Ice back and knee every night. Good to be getting my wind back up, walking around 70000 steps per week.
Stiffness is a lot less, actually sat on ground working on furnace and assembly of stuff at new home in Lancaster, NY. Anyways proud of you all, wish I was riding a horse @jaschembra!


R Partial Knee Replacement 11/28/16
 
awe! @DebM and @mwetzel394 I'm glad I'm not alone. :)
Riding that horse is aggravating my knee! Rode longer (1 hour) on Saturday but then took through Sunday to recover. Even woke up at 3 a.m. today and took 2 Tylenol. Haven't had to do that in awhile!
The squiggly line of recovery just keeps going and going!! Just so long as it gradually keeps an incline.
:skep:
 
What not to do to a severely arthritic knee: Get between you and your hubby with an excited 150 pound Cane Corso Mastiff dog. Thunder took a jumping type move sideways and slammed right into the side of my shin/knee. I heard something, and stood there with tears as I was afraid I couldn't move. Luckily, it's okay. Just a bit more sore than normal and kinda feeling like it might want to hyperextend. I think what I heard was it's normal popping. Very grateful it wasn't my bionic knee. Holy cow! Icing both knees last night and natural knee was hurting on ice, bionic was not. I envisioned this one time up at the chicken coop with my new knee so I'm always very careful with her when I'm up there - she gets very excited with the chickens. :chuck::doggie::chuck:

Heading out very early tomorrow for a flight to the panhandle of Florida (Crystal Beach, Destin). Yep... IRMA. We should be okay up there though as long as the hurricane routes are correct. Just a tiny bit concerned about our flight home Tuesday traveling via Atlanta, GA to change planes. And...I may be a wimp, but because I still have so much discomfort when standing and walking, I ordered the wheelchair at the airports. Waiting in long security lines and walking through the huge Atlanta airport is not my idea of fun and I don't want a huge painful knee when I reach our destination.
 
Last edited:
Just caught up on your thread, @jaschembra, and hoping your original issue knee is feeling better. A big dog slamming into a knee cannot ever be good. That's what happened to make my Lefty my problem child. My standard poodle spun right into him, frontal, full on. Nothing but inflammation after that. So ice that knee into oblivion! Good to hear that bionic knee is doing fine.

Best of luck on evading Irma and having a fine time in Florida. Crossing my fingers for your trip back. :fingersx:
 
Ice your knee with ice from the fresh fish market when you fly into town and pick up shrimp for lunch then, work on straightening with this in the background! I may feel crippled but Life is good.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
    image2.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 248
  • [Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
    image1.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 292
Just caught up with your thread @jaschembra and see you are already at the beach! Enjoy your stay and stay safe. I don't *think* Irma is heading that way but hope you won't experience any problems with coming home. I don't blame you a bit for using the W/C assist in the airport. That's not being a wimp, it's being smart. :SUNsmile:

You've really had a lot going on, eh? I never quite realized how much discomfort you are still experiencing; bah humbug! Do I think your pain will go away? You betcha!:yes!: If this is any comfort to you, my OS says it can take some people 18-24 months for complete healing. Some people just have a slower, "Onboard Healing System," just as some people have red hair or musical talent. I experienced the slower path with my hip replacement; 14 months to be pain-free. At the time, I didn't have a very supportive surgeon and therefore didn't use him for my knee. He actually seemed annoyed that I wasn't doing as well as he felt I should be at around 9 months post-op, as if it were a personal affront! Needless to say, I felt pretty annoyed by his attitude and also a bit worried; pffft!

Like your knee, my hip is not cemented. I've no idea if that impacts healing time (can't recall that far back, but it may have) but I do remember I felt the ultimate benefit would be worthwhile. When I went for my knee, I really wanted the un-cemented version as well, and my surgeon hoped I'd be a good candidate, but I wasn't. Apparently, there just wasn't enough good quality bone left to work with for screws.

Gosh, I can't imagine having my so-called *good knee* slammed by a 150 canine! I hope any discomfort was really temporary!

I'll just leave you with one good thought; I think we all come out to the same place in the end; healed! You'll get there, just as we all will. :friends:
 
Ah, the pain from the body slam of a 150 pound canine has left my right natural knee.
Just had to work on more straightening today while enjoying our vacation!
@KarriB recognize the flip flops?
Thanks so much for that post @Pheebs52, it means a lot to hear about the longer recoveries.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
    image1.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 225
Don't you love them?! Although I have Vionic slippers and inserts there's nothing quite like the flip flops and I was never a flip flop lover.
I propped my leg whenever possible for a year after TKR. Enjoy your vacation!
 
Just want to say I'm really loving your vacation pictures! :roseshwr: So beautiful! And your leg is looking good, too.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom