TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

@sistersinhim Thank you - yes, that knee pic was taken after a day reflecting 6,750 steps! I'm really starting to see less swelling lately. I realized, looking back on my activity app, that my steps have been following the month of the year:
4,000 plus in April
5,000 plus in May
6,000 plus in June
So I'm guessing I'll be in the 7,000+ in July. I've hit it a couple times already but never on purpose!

So for those of you reading... be patient - your days of more activity are in your future. I still ice and elevate (especially elevate) a lot.
 
6 Month Knee-versary today!

There have been so many changes in these 6 months. Wow!
I can do a lot of normal living.
No, I'm not pain free, but it's not the OA pain and it's not surgical pain, it's more of a continuing healing strong discomfort. I do usually take Tylenol at some point during the day. I've tried to limit the Meloxicam to just a few days a week. I do take all my supplements for my bad knee, especially my turmeric with pepper as that was the one supplement I noticed was gone when preparing for the LTKR - so I'm hoping it is helping with the right knee's bone/bone pain.
I do notice at various times when the right knee definitely hurts more than my bionic knee. And... that's what we want!
I think my ROM is somewhere around 125-127 and I haven't been able to measure my extension but, I'm at 1 finger, when sliding under so I know it's gotten better than the -5 I was at. Again, as others have said, I know this will all get even better.

I ride my horse about once a week - so far only for about 20 min. and work with him 1-2 times a week on the ground.
I go to water aerobics 2 x a week and I meet my knee twin for our own water class 1 x a week
I've also been swimming - I'm up to 12 lengths (freestyle), 3 x a week
I pick garden vegetables and gather our eggs and do normal housework

So as I said, life is getting back to normal. There still needs to be patience and TLC. I ice at night before bed and usually 1 other time during the day. I elevate several times a day (usually whenever I'm sitting lol)
I still have some swelling and stiffness but it's getting better

And as mentioned in a previous post, my steps are matching the months of the year lol. Now that I'm in July, I suppose most days of the week will have 7,000 plus steps (June = 6,000+ and May = 5,000+ and April = 4,000+). I didn't track steps Jan-Mar since those were so focused on healing.

I'm happy I did this.
I'm happy I am halfway through the typical recovery period (as my OS said, I will ache for 6-8 months and I think he's spot on).
I'm happy 1/2 of my body has been completed and I'm sure I'll be ready to do knee #2 in Dec./Jan.

If you've not yet reached any of these milestones, be patient and listen to your knee! You will be here too!!
 
Your post makes me happy. Happy that you're doing so well, and happy that I can look forward to your level of mobility and freedom. The elevation and icing probably become like a pleasant routine, I expect, and continue to be so helpful. Thank you for your serene approach to this recovery; I've found much inspiration in your posts and comments. You're always so well-grounded. I have no doubt you will approach knee #2 with humor and competence!
 
I know you're thrilled to be back on your horse! At 6 months you are doing so very well! You don't expect to be completely healed now. You show yourself to have the patience and common sense that I wish we all have. Your steps are increasing nicely!
 
So glad to hear this! I'm about 2 months behind you. Funny my steps now are about what you said between 3000-4000 now and hopefully will go up from there as the months go by. Those are good goals to reach! My fitbit does count the revolutions on my bike as steps.

The aching and discomfort is definitely still here as well. I'm still icing almost every night and some days as well. Glad to hear I'm on track :wave:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear your update! It is nice to feel normal, I am a month a head of you, and am experiencing the same things as you, live life its good!


R Partial Knee Replacement 11/28/16
 
News flash: 6 1/2 months, and I spit a stitch!! So, a couple months ago, I had the stitch abscess at the very bottom of my incision - OS determined it was the remains of the knot that didn't dissolve. 2 days ago, I noticed something at the very top of my incision - no abscess, just a speck... needless to say, I pulled the prickly white speck out and it appears to be the remains of the knot at the top.

This is my eyeglass black case - see how tiny. Can't believe it can still happen this late in the game :)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
    image1.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 234
@sistersinhim No. if it would have, I would have stopped and let my OS office handle it :) - same as if it would have been of any length.
 
I agree, It's best not to pull on those stitches. Let the professionals deal with them.
 
Saw my OS yesterday to talk about the "barking" that my right knee has begun now that my activity level is increasing. I've been this route last summer, with a different practice (one that's main focus and source of $ is stem cell and blood plasma injections) but the HA injections did nothing for either knee (Orthovisc). However, we're going to try it again with my OS. He gave me a cortisone shot to get the inflammation down first and we'll start the injections in a 2-3 weeks, for 4 weeks. We both know my knee is a candidate for replacement but as I told him, I don't plan on doing it any earlier than the first of Jan. 2018. Timing and I want my left knee to have that year under its belt (praying there is no discomfort the majority of my time on that TKR by Jan.). The other place did not do the cortisone first and my OS said the HA had a better chance of working without inflammation. All I know is previously, anytime I have had injections, my knees have been screaming and nothing helped. However, now the right knee is only barking, so I'm hopeful. He also ordered a script for me of the generic for Volteran gel. I've used Pain Terminator from my acupuncturist and it seemed to give a little relief so I'm hopeful for the gel as it is much cheaper via my insurance.

On a side note... I showed him pictures of my top dissolvable knot getting spit out. It was 7/14, exactly 1 1/2 months after the bottom knot was spit out. He said, yep, looks like the knot.
He said my ROM looked good. I asked, what measurement do you think it is? He pulled out his tool and said, 130. I was shocked. I thought maybe I was 123-125. In the spring, at PT, I had them measure my right knee to have something to compare to and it was 131. I'm glad it has that range, but it is still stiff! :) What I felt was the Baker's Cyst that was stopping my bend - he felt the area that I have pain and feels its still related to hamstring muscles/tendons and will get better. I left feeling really good about my visit.
Heat, swelling and stiffness is all completely normal - he assured me. I still have a lot of it.

So today and tomorrow I'm resting my injected knee (feeling a little like I'm on the earlier months of recovery of the TKR). By the way, after the spray and the lidocaine injection, I felt zero of the cortisone shot - nothing. Not even the needle. I was like, "thank you God" as my prayer was answered. I pass out at pain, blood and needles.
 
@jaschembra, Happy Belated Kneeversary! What an uplifting post that gives us all so much to look forward to as we ease on down the recovery road.:egypdance:

Like you, I want to get at least a year out of my other knee, so, I'm going to baby it as necessary and won't be jumping on trampolines anytime soon. Just recently, my TKR knee felt better than the natural one after I had done a bit too much of my stairs, but as you said, "This is what we want." Yep, it is.:SUNsmile:

The photo of your property is just gorgeous and your knee looked pretty darned good as well, lol! But, can we have some horses next time? Please? I love my anti-gravity chair and it seems to like me in return which can often be challenging; hah!

BTW, we both own Ecco Yucatan sandals and they really are fabulous; worth the $$$. I had a pair prior to these that actually lasted for 5 years. Ok, they became a little grubby, (walked into salt water, lakes, and dirty trails) but the comfort was still in place, so I didn't hesitate to get another pair. I find many of their shoes to be comfy as well.

Here's hoping the Cortisone and other injections to follow will take care of you over the next 6 months. :fingersx::prayer:
 
May those injections give you months of relief. What a wonderful visit to set your mind to rest and let you look forward to getting your other knee done on your own timeline. By then your stiffness in the TKR should be gone. Huzzah! :cheers:
 
@Pheebs52 Here we are, back on shoes lol - i found those shoes (Ecco Yucatán) when shopping for the wedding sandals (SAS). I still don't think my hubby knows how much those shoes cost but he does know I have high maintenance feet! I love them. Haha! My first bionic ride is posted in the community, social room under: Equestrians among us. But I will find my fav photo of my boy and post it here. He's a cutie.

Yes! What I'm doing is what you have to look forward to. Slow and steady I will finish this marathon even if it is at a turtles pace

@sistersinhim that may be stretching it, but we can hope. :)
 
Great report! It helps so much when people post their later reports. It reminds me to be patient, there is still a ways to go! I'm amazed at your riding!
 
Your horse is gorgeous! Are you able to get much riding in yet?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom