TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

@sistersinhim thank you so much for those kind words.
All of you gals!

Now, you want to think of something that will make your knees hurt! Heck, this would make my whole body hurt and I don't think a person should do it... the VP of the company I retired from just finished his 6th annual Leadville Trail 100 run this morning (Colorado). 29:17 hours. He just turned 58 this week - his son ran it with him this year and he too finished. You must finish in 30 hours or less. This man does practice runs by starting a marathon at the finished line at 3 in the a.m. to get to the starting line, to then run the marathon. Crazy.

I had a 35 min. ride today and my horse was just wonderful. Picked some weeds at the front door and picked 4 zucchini (probably the end of the crop) and now my knees are getting pampered the rest of the day. I wear Tommy Copper knee compression sleeves when I ride (have for a couple of years). I have no pain when riding, just when standing. And I guess it's discomfort- but really, isn't discomfort just a for of pain...
And @Pheebs52 I do have clinking while riding lol
 
Ah yes, the Leadville Trail 100 -- I have some friends who have done that, and a former student who has won it a couple of times. And also the Leadville 100 mtn bike ride -- talk about painful knees!!!! Lots of folks on here have used compression sleeves - I am considering it as I seem to have ever present swelling. Do you like the Tommy Copper sleeve?
 
@kmak81230 yes I do like the tommy Copper sleeves. My OS gave me a thicker sleeve for swelling but it's uncomfortable in the back of the knee upon bending so I revert back to my TC.
 
I like your thinking!!!! I still get them regularly at 5+ months. Especially at night.
 
Last edited:
Oh what fab photos of your gorgeous horse! I am always amazed that you can actually ride!

How has your natural knee responded to the injections so far? I really hope they will see you through at least until January!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ugggg......I can't imagine a 10 mile trail let alone 100 miles!
However we can sing " Happy Trails" to you and your beautiful mount or am I really showing my age now??
When I mention any song from pre 2000 my grandkids just ask if it's a fossil song lol?
 
@Pheebs52 so far the shots have not done anything. The cortisone may be keeping swelling down but the Monovisc hasn't changed any bone on bone pain. I know it can take awhile for that shot to fully work. Oh well... it is what it is.

I rode today for 30 min. 30 min to tack up and after riding, I walked the 3 out to pasture (I had been to the grocery before all that) - so yes, there is life after TKR but boy was I ready for ice and elevating with my lunch and soap opera lol. I wear the tommy Copper sleeves on both knees when I ride. There is one movement using my heel on the horses belly near the back (flank) that my knee does not like the angle!! And when my horse walks is when I feel the clunking the most. I will say today, while tacking, I felt a little less discomfort.

I have discovered these couple of weeks, as my leg is getting closer to straight, it isn't hurting as much to stand in one place. I've been doing some straightening exercise and I think it's helping. I was a 5 when PT ended a long time ago.
 
@Josephine May I ask a question - I have just recently (like yesterday) noticed, what the nurse in my water aerobics class called, a crepitus. When I flex my knee, I'm feeling the crunching (like my arthritic knee does) in the area of LF4-D (on your chart). It's about a 2 finger area and I can feel it every time I bend. I don't feel it when I straighten.

I had a little more discomfort on this lateral side of the knee yesterday and last night but I chalked it up to riding my horse for 30 min yesterday. There is a move I've done with this left knee that feels kinda like I torque it and it's uncomfortable and I'm avoiding it in the future for now (reaching back with my heel to press the horses flank).

I understand popping, clicking and clunking but I didn't think there would be any crunching or that arthritic knee feel. Do you think this is just normal healing? Thank you
 
Crepitus isn't uncommon after knee surgery. It's the where the incisional wounds heal and then the resulting scarring makes that sound or sensation. Perfectly normal. Don't fret about it!
 
@jaschembra, many, many years ago, back in the dark ages, I took a few riding lessons so have a dim recollection of some terms and moves. I was thrown and then decided it wasn't the sport for me; hah! I can definitely see why that particular *heel on belly/flank* move would be ouchy. In fact, for now, I'd have to say , eeeuuuwww, but you are much further along than I am, much more flexible and it's wonderful to hear about your horse adventures.:-) :horseriding:

I tried those injections once, but can't recall how long it's supposed to take to feel any benefits from them. I do know it's a while though, so am hoping it does do something for you! Glad to hear the cortisone has reduced some swelling! Yay!
 
I have that same crunching sound. It's a little disconcerting because it almost feels like the bone in bone of my other knee. Good to hear it's normal and I trust it will go away.
 
Mine doesn't crunch while walking, just getting up out of chairs and up and down stairs.
 
So our pool was closed for 4 weeks but my knee twin and I met at another Gold's gym pool locally 3 days a week for an hour each time. Well, today was our first day back in class and I gave it my all. I guess I thought I had stayed in shape and was capable... even doing some moves faster than I had a month ago. Dang it, I'm feeling it. I'm on my 2nd dose of arthritis Tylenol. I just wasn't using the thinking side of my brain.
:umm:
 
When I went back to swimming laps at 8 months I could only do 3-4 laps before I was tuckered out and my leg was sore. It took a month of building up my lap number before I could swim my regular 15 laps in about 40 minutes.
 
@Pheebs52 you wanted a horse pic in the background lol. My stepdaughter and her thoroughbred

The best way to ice!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
    IMG_3147.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 200
Julie. I just got back on BoneSmart. I'm sending hugs and a ladder your way to grab onto and climb up out of the pit, I'm sorry your having dark days again. This recovery thing is arduous for sure. Your strong and have a strong faith. Your going to be ok. My knees L<R still get angry if I ride too intently or for too long. I also find now that my bow is gone I really struggle for good position. I can either have heels down OR toe straight not both and I have to toe out to connect for the ques. I've never used spurs but I might start so I don't have to torque/twist my knees. I'm saying prayers for you right now and sending healing light your way.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom