Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

Oh my, he is just beautiful! What a face! He looks like he has a really sweet personality as well! Thanks for sharing those great photos Jaschembra!

As for hubby and shoes, well...you know, what he doesn't know won't hurt him, lol!
 
@sistersinhim I have been trying to ride one day a week on the weekend when my husband is home. I'm still a little afraid to ride when no one is here, just in case. Last weekend, Sat. was 105 degrees and Sun. we made pickles so... I need to rest the right knee still tomorrow so I hope to ride Sun. :)
 
Just the fact that you CAN ride is amazing to me! Canter on!
 
Headed to the OS today for a Monovisc injection in my right knee.
:scare:
But I guess if I've experienced a TKR, I can do anything, right!? Had 4 Orthovisc injections last summer (didn't do anything to help, but figured I would try again to get me to Jan. since my knee isn't as swollen and upset as it was last summer) so if I could do it then, I can do it now.
 
Crossing my fingers for you that the Monovisc helps. Anything that can help you get by is worth trying. My last series of Synvisc, last fall, did nothing. Both knees. Nothing. So that was when I knew TKR was my only remaining option. At a certain point... well, you know how that goes.

And yes, if you have gone through a TKR, you can do anything!
 
The one funny about this shot: The specialty pharmacy that called with my shipping date was going to send it to my house. They said it showed, an injection I could administer myself. Yeah, right! I said nope, that syringe goes to the doctor's office. there is no way someone administers a shot into their own knee capsule! (maybe Josephine could) :loll:
 
Anything except give yourself a shot in the knee. :wink:

Funny about giving yourself the shot. My first husband was a physician with RA, and he taught me to give him cortisone shots in his knees. His reason for not doing it himself: tricky to get the right angle if doing it himself. He said having me give it to him worked better. Maybe these new shots have shorter syringes or something, but having an untrained person give themselves shots into the knee capsule sounds like a bad idea on way too many levels.
 
Inject it yourself?! Yikes! The PA at my ortho group uses a sonogram to get to then "sweet" spot. But yes, if you can do a TKR you can do this shot. In fact I said this to the PA last February when I had my set of 3 Synvisc shots. So he asked about how my TKR went and was VERY shocked at my ROM after all that happened.

FYI, since I couldn't even inject myself with the heprin shots I don't think I could inject my knee!
 
@KarriB Last summer I went to a place that used an ultra sound for the injections (4 into each knee, 1/week) but that didn't help. Figured I'll let my OS use his expertise this time. That dr. last summer didn't even think I was a TKR candidate - I think he was too interested in selling me the plasma/stem cell injections (and in my opinion, I could never find anything with those helping advanced OA).
 
What a gorgeous horse! I a man sure you are happy to be able to ride him again even if it's not as often as you like! I hope the injections help. I had both Synvisc injections and cortisone a few years ago but nothing really helped although I got enough relief from the cortisone for a trip to Italy. Good thing because there were 420 stairs from our villa down to the Mediterranean.
I would be very happy if I could get on horseback but not sure it would be the knees preventing it these days or my fat butt lol!
 
I worked with someone who tried the stem cell. It was all out of pocket, took a year but in the end she had two PTKRs due to pain.
My ortho group has a little sonogram machine on wheels. Once they found the spot they didn't use it with every shot, just the first. It's about time for another set of shots in my left.
 
I had the Synvisc injections in my knee years ago. 3 in each knee that was done by my OS using ultrasound guidance.

My doctor told me that in 1/3 of patients it works great 1/3 works okay and 1/3 doesn't work at all. I was so positive this was going to work!

Sadly I was in the last group. Didn't notice one ounce of difference. I was sad.
 
@flyaway79 I too was in the last group last summer. 4 Orthosvisc injections. I was sad.
Today it was 1 Monovisc injection performed by my OS. Dang, that man gives good shots!! Didn't hurt at all. Love lidocaine!! I would like to get some relief for the rest of the year and I'm hopeful but he has told me before that I have a 50/50 chance. I don't think there is much relief with bone on bone.
 
Question - can the heat take a year to leave too? My little heater "commonly referred to as my bionic knee" just keeps staying warm. Only after ice or maybe first thing when I wake up is it ever a normal temperature.

@sistersinhim How long before you first rode your outside bike after your TKR?
I'm starting to think I would like to ride a bike outside but today, I thought realistically, I should probably first increase the time on my stationary bike and maybe even go from zero resistance to a level 1.
 
I don't remember. Let me look back on my thread. OK, I found it. I first rode at 5 months. I went only 1.5 miles, but I did it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom