Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

@Knees4Me I just realized I never answered your question about the wedding shoes :)
I wore SAS very comfortable black 3 Velcro strap sandals. They were pricey but oh sooooo comfortable for all parts of the body, especially my feet!! I updated my avatar today of my stepdaughter and I, you can kinda see them.
 
Nice, new avatar! And what a wonderful report you had! You know how to do things, and it's paying off in a super recovery for you!
 
Thanks @jaschembra - gorgeous photo of you both! Can't see a knee surgery scar!! I can see only two straps on your sandals. Were they flat or wedges? I can get SAS here. I always buy good shoes now. My poor feet are developing arthritis too! But, then, I'm more than a decade older than you! My younger daughter is graduating from university early next month, so I need to find an outfit (I've lost 20 lb. since my surgery, so my clothes are all too big) and shoes/sandals. I'm not ready for heels, though!
 
I love reading about normal recoveries, all the ups and downs and sideways. Been watching your progress for a while and hope to be where you are soon!
 
@Knees4Me the shoes are called SAS Women's Nudu. The back heel strap was a buckle (I forgot). No heel, I ended up wearing barely colored nylons because the evening was cool - I had them on for 8 hours and they never hurt once. I have arthritis in my big toe joints and have 5 surgeries all together involving my feet so as I say, I have high maintenance feet! I'll never be able to have a cheap pair of shoes lol.

Congrats on that weight loss. I lost 50 lbs. leading up to the TKR and was hoping for another loss of 5-10 lbs after surgery - but... I never lost my appetite.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jaschembra - 50 lbs. weight loss! Wow!! I hope to lose another 40. And those are my kind of sandals! I can get them here for "only" $180 Canadian plus 15% sales tax (not on sale and there's no trip to the States in the near future.) Yikes! But my feet deserve, and demand, good shoes. My feet too!! My LTKR replacement knee has been really hurting for the past couple of days. Tylenol and ice aren't solving the problem. I hope nothing has gone wrong! I thought I was making some progress, but today I've really been down in the dumps. I could only manage driving to the grocery store with my daughter this afternoon. and pushing a cart up and down the aisles. No recumbent bike or trekking pokes for me for the time being. How's your knee doing? - Judy
 
What a wonderful weight loss! How did you do it?
 
@Knees4Me my knee is always quite achy when I'm standing or walking. But when off it, I don't usually feel it, except bending and straightening - it stiffens so so quickly. You may have joined the ODIC "again". I say that as I'm sure you probably have at some point along this journey :) I have. The first time, it took me several days to recover. I never did it that bad again. Be sure and elevate that knee. Mine is elevated anytime I'm watching tv. It's just my hubby and I and we never have company so we still have this hospital bed in our living room - I'm addicted to watching tv from it lol although the recliner is nice when I want a change. I've been thinking of storing it soon. I actually just put away my ice machine today! Haven't used it in a month but it was still sitting next to my bed upstairs. Yes, I have clutter!

@sistersinhim I lost most of it on Weight Watchers (I'm a lifetime member - get to attend meetings for free) but some I lost with my husband with My Fitness Pal on our phone app. It's a great, free app. All boils down to weighing and measuring in my opinion. Thank you.
 
I'm going to check out that My Fitness Pal. I gained 17 pounds after I started eating after my tkr. I've lost 5 of it, but am not sticking to my diet as I should. I need more motivation.

I remember how good it felt to walk into my den and it not looking like a sick room! The ice machine is still within reach if I need it, but it's out of sight!
 
@sooz58 you said you were in the buying mode - I came home with an ice machine through my insurance and used it all the time; however based on my reading here, I purchased these ice packs on Amazon to fill in the gaps for icing. I still use them today. At times, early on, I would use one on the top and one underneath. They are a bit heavy but seem to stay cold a long time. I even made little jackets for them, but early on I always made sure to use a clean pillow case between my skin and my ice.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
    IMG_0384.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 200
My stitch finally spit out today! I kinda helped it, as I was trying to see if it was a piece of skin or a prickly feeling stitch. It's itsy bitsy! Kinda like a tiny splinter. I texted a picture of it to my OS and explained how it came out. I have neosporin on the spot with a small bandage. He said it looks like a stitch and to keep neosporin on it. There was no puss or anything else. Nothing like it was 3 weeks ago.
 
Good, you got that behind you now! It's amazing how something so small can cause such aggravation.
 
There is a first for everything... my first ride with my bionic knee! Yes, it was clunking the whole time lol but it didn't hurt.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<
    IMG_2810.PNG
    185.1 KB · Views: 258
Wow! You look wonderful on that horse. It's things like that, that make this surgery so successful. I love to ride, but it's been at least 30 years because of my knees' pain. I am so jealous! How long did you ride? Let us know how you do tonight. I bet just fine!
 
Wow, I'm so happy for you. I'm sure that was a good feeling. I'm still waiting for the "I am happy I did this feeling". I know it will come, you give us all hope!
 
@becticu I am happy I did this because I'm halfway done lol. However, I do have a long way to go because there is a lot of stiffness and soreness that I can't wait for it to get better. :) It did feel good to get back on my horse though.

@KarriB It did feel great! I was surprised the angle of the leg/and stirrup didn't make it hurt (sore) but it didn't.

@sistersinhim I really didn't ride long (I mean, as little as 5 or 10 min) as my niece had come over and she and her friends were there to ride. I just snuck in a "get on and see if I could do it" moment since he was all saddled. :) I showered afterwards and felt very sore in the shower (I was feeling it down to the middle of my shin), but then took 2 tylenols, iced and elevated and I'm no worse. Slept great! My tibia is still sooooo sore (but my implant has that spoke, plus 4 pegs, plus 4 screws), still a lot of healing going on in there I'm sure.
 
No wonder your tibia is sore with all that hardware in there! Just knowing that you can ride has to be a great feeling! It's wonderful that you knee let you get a good night's sleep. All is good!
 
@sistersinhim yes, all the additional hardware has to do with the porous implant - but last time I saw the X-rays at the OS office I told him, I guess that is not going anywhere until I die!! He said, that's the plan. :) When he spoke of this type, he did tell me I would "ache" a bit longer. I asked, how much is a bit longer? He said 6-8 months. I'm glad I had an OS who was straight forward with me. I need to go read up on your thread and see how you're doing with the ankle. I hope okay.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom