Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

Maybe alcohol will help :heehee:. I'm glad you're feeling less discomfort. I still used a cane at 15 weeks, it just helped me walk easier and gave me more confidence as I walked. What kind of shoes did you decide on for the wedding?
 
Hi @KarriB I used my cane throughout the DSW Warehouse yesterday! When you've been retired 2 years and all you do is hang out at the farm/ranch, you just don't wear nice shoes... I now know 100% that I must wear my horse tack boots (good arch support, lace), tennis shoes or sandals with 3 straps!! Narrow heels! I am returning the Vionic sandals I was going to wear because I had a shoe fitted at a nice shoe store yesterday and it is even more comfortable and fits like a glove AND I'll wear it more after the wedding. SAS (still a sandal, 3 Velcro straps)
While there, I also bought leisure, wear all day, hiking type sandals, Ecco brand (buffalo leather - again, 3 adjustable Velcro straps and fits like a glove). Zappos will be happy that I've stopped my shopping from home spree. I'm tired of taking things to ups but love all the free shipping lol

I'm loving using my trekking poles outside here at the house
 
I've only been retired 10 months and I only get out of my skechers long enough to wear my Vionic flip flops now that the weather has turned. My TKR was the turning point for wearing pretty shoes. I wore skecher sneakers to school all winter my last few years.
 
I just as soon run around the house and yard barefooted! Yes, my country hick coming out!!

Wonderful that you were able to shop with just a cane. You are definitely on the road to good recovery! How did you feel last night and how about today? Any extra pain from your outing?
 
@sistersinhim actually I didn't have a good night. Went to sleep, and woke up at 2 a.m. Not being able to sleep and I don't usually have issues. But yesterday my time schedule for taking my Tylenol was off also and I think it ended around 2 am instead of 4 am. I was fasting for some blood work in the morning yesterday and didn't want to take the Tylenol. :)
 
Oh, I am sorry that your night was a rough one. It might have been from your outing yesterday and not being on track for your Tylenol. You made a good decision to not take it why fasting. It might have thrown off your blood work and/or hurt your tummy. Are you feeling better now?
 
I just caught up on your thread. I'm sorry you had a rough night last night. Hopefully tonight will be better. Wear whatever shoes are most comfortable for you. When my oldest daughter had her 'country' wedding she decided she wanted to happen some outside photographs taken that caused me to have to walk a mile or two over uneven terrain. I wore my sneakers to get to each location and switched some dressy shoes just for the pictures. My girls, and it seems many others, supply flip flops to wear at their receptions so feel free to take what ever you will be the most comfortable for you.
 
@KarriB arent Sketchers the best! They are all I wear. Unfortunately we don't yet get the range here that you have in the USA. :)
 
I love them, especially the slip on mules! I usually get them from Amazon, but some Skecher stores have recently opened in my area.
 
@jaschembra i am probably on a par with you as far as recovery goes. i have good and bad days for no obvious reason. Definitely not pain free but also mainly on paracetamol adding codeine if needed. I gave up my remaining cane 2 weeks ago and there is definite improvement in those 2 weeks so I am sure you will improve for the wedding.
 
Finally... 1st day of not needing a dose of Tylenol during the afternoon!
I've been taking 1,300 mg in the morning, 1,000 mg at 2:30pm and another 1,300 mg before bed
Today I skipped the 1,000 during the afternoon. I do think I had less discomfort today than any other day.
Oh, I also didn't take the Meloxicam (15mg) because I just don't think it does much for me and so far, I'm correct (no more swelling than normal)

Yesterday was 16 weeks. I'm a slow turtle recoverer. I think if you're a sweller it makes all the difference in recovery and I swell at the drop of a hat.
 
@jaschembra - I had my TLKR on the same day as you - Jan. 3. I've been meaning to post to say I'm also a "slow turtle recoverer." (Love that phrase!) It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who still swells at this stage. I was released from outpatient PT after 18 two-hour sessions that I hated going to. The wanted to push to the point of pain! I've continued once a week with my own, gentler therapist to try to increase my flexion, which hovers between 100 and 110 (extension has always been 0). However, I still have pain on the outside of my knee when I walk or use the recumbent bicycle. My therapist thinks it's where soft tissue - like a tendon or muscle - is attached to my kneecap. I don't use a cane at home but I need one when I go out. I still can't do stairs properly. So my question to you is: how much pain do you still have? Do you walk normally? I still have a limp. I continue to be frustrated by my slow recovery. I'm terrified something may be wrong and I'll need revision surgery! I thought I''d be free from pain and back to normal moving around by now. My surgeon thought I was doing fine when I saw her four weeks ago. I go back again in two weeks to see her assistant for a follow up. I hope I don't get scolded for derailing your thread, but I've wanted to connect with you since we've been on this seemingly endless recovery "journey" for exactly the same amount of time. I read this forum nearly every day but haven't been posting much. All the best to you for your recovery!
 
jaschembra, I don't think you're slow at all. I thought all along that you were doing great. My OS said to not expect a big improvement until 6 months out. He was right. You aren't quite 4 months and doing great! Here I am almost 11 months and my new knee is still 1" bigger than my old knee. So, I know about swelling! But, it does come down when I elevate. Are you doing enough of that?
 
@sistersinhim yes, I am definitely still doing a lot of icing and elevating and it does come down then but just comes right back when I'm up and about. I know I'm doing okay, and I too look forward to that 6 mos mark because I hear a lot of people say there was noticeable good feelings then. Thank you for your comments.

@Knees4Me You're not derailing my thread at all. I went through the feeling that something was wrong and even bumped up my OS appointment by a week, but he said everything was just as they like to see it. I pointed out an area on my outer side of the knee (low edge) and he said that was where the IT band attached to my bone and the implant was right next to it. I also sometimes get a quiet pop of something on the outer side (top edge), he said that was most likely a tendon moving over something - these strange little things cause you to think something is off and I then have to tell myself that this thing is solid and exactly as it should be. I am sure yours is also just as it should be but it will be nice for you to get that reassurance when you go in 2 weeks. Pain - I don't know... maybe I'm a 2-3 on a scale?? I have no pain unless I am walking or getting up, stiffness, swelling - and would consider it a pretty solid "discomfort" rather than pain. There are times I feel I'm walking really well, but then a friend said, you look like you're walking pretty stiff - I said no, I'm just trying to walk without a limp lol. I feel I walk slow and at times I try to do a normal speed, but I don't want to trip or wobble and fall! I'm not walking my horse! I don't feel sturdy enough to do something like that. I use my cane out at a store or someplace if I've been out for awhile. I have been using trekking poles outside at my house (slight inclines). Stairs going up are slow but 90% normal. Coming down.... I'm maybe 50% normal and still use the canes assistance when coming down in the morning. I also still use the cane if I have to get up to use the bathroom during the night and for the first 10 or so steps in the morning. I'm saying all this to reassure you that your journey may be long, but it is normal and there will be days ahead that we feel better than we do today and then there will be a day when we have no pain or discomfort. And... we no longer have that bone on bone pain!!!
:console2:
 
:loveshwr:Well, the big wedding day came and went. It was beautiful and perfect in every way. My husband's (FOB) welcome speech and poem was over the top! Nothing could have been any better. Now our daughter is married to her best friend of 11 years. They started dating at 15 and have never broken up.

Now on to the knee! I had packed an ice bag and planned on some elevating and icing prior to the event - which I did. We had to be there 4 hours early and it took 1 hour 15 min. to get there. So...I was away from home for 13 hours! I even danced the first 3 songs (2 margaritas helped with that) - I was very careful with my stepping. I remember during the 2nd or 3rd song thinking... I'm going to have about 3 days of recovery for this day - but it's so worth it! Can't pass up dancing to Bruno Mars :) At about hour #10, my knee said, I'm done. At hour 11 the event was over and I iced for that long drive home. I was on the arthritis Tylenol around the clock but I added a Tramadol at the 12th hour!! I didn't do much of anything yesterday and today I'm pretty much back to my normal discomfort. This was the event I had to get through when I planned my TKR in January so now it's back to the normally scheduled healing. I can't wait until that 6 mos mark when I hope I start feeling much better. As I describe: I'm at a Tylenol level of discomfort, not a norcotic level of pain.
 
I'm glad the wedding went so well and you managed to cope with it all.

Now, give your knee some days of extra rest, as a reward. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
 
Yay! What wonderful news! And your knee did really well and let you enjoy that blessed event! Now, goof off this next week and give you and your knee some much needed TLC!
 
Yay! Sounds like a fun day and you planned it all well. Glad you were able to enjoy with no knee issues.
 
I was at the pool today and then going straight to Costco. I realized shortly after being in the water that I forgot to take my 1,300 mg of Tylenol and turmeric etc. when back in my car I realized I had forgotten my cane (just in case) - so... I take this as a good sign - I must be feeling better. And yes! I did ride in a cart at Costco. :)

When I got home, a small spot at the end (shin end) of my incision was looking red and when I pressed it a bit of white puss came out. I've been thinking maybe a stitch didn't dissolve and was working it's way out. I thought I felt something a week or so ago. I called my OS and within 10 min they called me back, giving his cell # for me to send pics. He instantly wrote back and said it's a stitch that didn't dissolve and is working it's way out - put neosporin on it and a bandaid and send a pic back to me on Friday. What a great, fast OS!! NP also called me back and no more pool until it's no longer red and stitch has come through and healed.

I get my teeth cleaned tomorrow and my OS had cleared me to not take antibiotics (which is a big topic here in the U.S. to take or not to take). With this little spot, I called my dentist and I'm going to go ahead and take the antibiotics tomorrow when I get there for my teeth cleaning. I would rather be safe!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom