@jaschembra I say it's the knee but in reality it's probably the muscles/soft tissues. My reasoning is that since my new knee has better flexion than the left knee, I'm probably making the left knee work more. It's hard to say since I never was very happy with the LTKR.
@boxerlover I still use a stick a lot (I feel). I use it first thing in the a.m. and I'm usually using it during the p.m. when tired. I also take it everywhere I go when I'm outside or going to a store. I feel much more secure with it and my balance is a bit shaky without it. I can walk almost normal with it, but not without it. But as they say... we all heal at our own pace. You will get stronger the more you use your leg/new knee. There were times that I had to override the mental part of this recovery - there were times I didn't trust my knee and had to tell myself that was just silly (there still are times!)
@jaschenbra It makes me feel better knowing you still have to use a stick to I felt I was so behind my balance is shaky to. I'm finding it so hard to trust my new knee after what happened with my partial [emoji26] I am improving but slowly.
Besides stretching my calf muscle - any other suggestions to help prevent the sudden cramping in the calf when walking? It seems to come from the lower back of the knee, into the calf. Usually I stop and rub it instantly before it goes into a full blown cramp, but it seems to be happening more this week. Guess I'd better eat a banana a day too!!
It's very hard to find the balance - my mind thinks I can and should be able to do all these things and my knee says otherwise. - which I guess is why I'm awake for my 2nd time tonight and it's 2 a.m. and I typically sleep through the night (minus rolling over). I still have a lot of pain/discomfort when I'm up and about and I'm still taking Tylenol around the clock and 1/2 Tramadol in the morning and 1/2 before bed. I still need support to get out of low areas and I'm not 100% cane free yet. If I hadn't read on here about how long this recovery is, I would have sworn something is wrong with my knee and I would have been back to see the OS by now! I do see him for a follow up appointment on April 12.
It's now 3 a.m. So I'm going to try and find those z's once again
Jaschembra I'm exactly at you are with my recovery I feel so frustrated my mind wants to do so much but like you say the knee is in control. I feel I'm never going to walk without a crutch. I went out to our local quiz night and now today I'm suffering leg swollen so it's ice and elevate today feels like it's never ending [emoji30]
Even though my both of my OS said I could return to work at 12 weeks it was clear I wasn't done healing. I still needed a cane, still had difficulty standing for longer than 5-10 minutes, and still needed to elevate a LOT. I came home from school to ice, elevate and nap nearly every day. I certainly couldn't grocery shop on working days either. The time will come when you'll realize you left the cane somewhere and you can't find it, it'll be easier to get up and you can go longer without resting/elevating. It will come.
I do hope so I go back to work on the 19th April on phased return and some days I don't know how I will manage luckily I work in a Admin for orthopaedics so there will be plenty of people to help me and I'm mostly going to be sat down it's still a worry though I don't know how people cope going back after a few weeks.
I went back to teaching first grade (mornings only for 6 weeks) after a second surgery and infection at one month. It's wise to phase back into work. I even had a friend who drove me back and forth the first few weeks as everyone was worried my leg would be too tired to do the drive. Just take it slow and don't expect to be 100% just because you're back to work. Rest, elevate, ice when you're not working.
I will say, I went to the pool to do some easy moves today (more moves for other parts of my body like core and upper body, than the knee) and then came home to ice and elevate. Swelling felt manageable and after, when I did my 10 min of bike (slowly with no resistance), I was able to make full revolutions within a minute. For these next couple of weeks, I'm going to focus on not being a member of ODIC and reap the rewards!
@KarriB It is so nice to be reassured that this is normal when you tell parts of your recovery. Thank you.
Oh, and I did find those remaining zzzzz's this morning. Thank you God.
I just wanted to stop by and thank you for the post you left on my thread. You and I are knee twins for sure. Maybe we can both take comfort in the fact that we are in the exact same spot kneewise. I hope today is a good day for you. When you figure out how to stay out of the ODIC let me know. lol
@Ronsgirl How to stay out of the ODIC: laying in my bed, with mega elevation, watching Netflix! Keeping my mind off boredom eating and following up with gentle bends, stretches and walks through the house. Trying to get swelling down.
Have you thought of trying a lymphatic massage? I've heard of some who have success with it when swelling continued months after surgery. I believe @skigirl used lymphatic massage for the swelling in her knee.
@KarriB yes I have considered it. I actually contacted my massage therapist to see if she was trained in that - she was not but referred me to someone who is. Haven't made contact yet... i had read that from skigirls thread.
Thank you. I'll be sure to read that thread as well. I also just moved up my OS visit by 1 week so that I can be reassured that all is normal. It was scheduled a week from Thur. but I can go this Thur. The appointment lady sai, be sure to ice and elevate, lol - I said that's where it is as we speak.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.