TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

Do you think a 1 inch heel will be too stressful on a 4 month young knee?
(wedding is approaching)
I have a pair of Vionic sandals that are #1 so far, but I just recently saw a pair of Rockport Cobb Hill but they have a heel.
This baby needs to do some growing up during the next 4 weeks. :)
 
I know we can't predict this for you, but I think a one-inch heel could be possible by then.
 
I found wedges to be the easiest heel to walk in. They give your leg/foot full support. Are either of the shoes a wedge?
 
@ jaschembra I to still have lots of swelling I tried to bring my OS appointment forward because I don't see him till the end of April but they can't fit me in [emoji30] it's all such a worry. But when I had my first knee done in 2009 I'm sure it was still swollen at 4 months the thing is when these knees get better you forget.

Good luck with your appointment [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@boxerlover Yes, I'm pretty sure everything is completely normal, but since I keep worrying over it, I figure if they could get me in, I would go earlier. I still feel too that I may have extra swelling (I know pain) due to all the drilling on my poor tibia. That portion of the implant is going nowhere! In addition to that peg in there, I have 3 screws (that I could see in the X-ray). I'm sorry you weren't able to get in earlier although, again, everything is probably normal. I swear though - If I didn't have this forum to read and hear about everyone else, I would have been freaking out a long time ago. lol

@KarriB I have not looked at wedges, but will today. I'm a Zappos shopper!

Thanks @Celle. I like how you say, ...we can't predict this for you. :)
 
The more I read of your posts, the more I realize just how much knee twins we are. :heehee: Your recipe for staying out of the ODIC sounds pretty much like the last 7 months of my life. that's why all my clothes are getting too tight. lol I am glad you get to see your OS this week. Let me know what he has to say. I don't go back to mine until the 2 of May, and have also thought about trying to get in sooner.
 
I had a good visit with my OS today. I didn't even need to ask for x-rays to ease my mind. This is something he does at the 1 month visit and again after 12 weeks to ensure the bone growth. He said my x-rays are exactly what they want to see! The bone has grown into/on the implants on the femur and tibia. My patella button is the only item cemented. I bent and straightened for him as he was holding my knee. He was pleased with my progress. I showed him a couple areas where I really swell - he explained one as being an area with no muscle coverage so the fluid just pops up there and the other was where the IT band attaches to the knee (that was lower than I imagined it to be).

I just had to ask about the bent screw! (lol) What is it or is it an optical illusion? He showed me, it's actually 2 screws with one being immediately behind the other, one is longer than the other and is coming in at a different angle. That explained it.

I don't go back to see him for 9 months. As I was making my appointment, I was joking with the girl - I said, well... I'm hoping to be having surgery that Tues. on my right knee! (I really hope not, but I can't imagine that I won't be)

So all my scary thoughts that something was wrong or I shouldn't be feeling this way have been put to rest by my BoneSmartie friends and my OS. Thank you God!!

Oh, and he said as of Nov. in the US, the antibiotic rules have changed. I answered No to a series of 5 questions and the attendee said I would not need to take an antibiotic prior to dental work/cleaning. Interesting. I bet that is one of those things that all surgeons differ on. :)

:loveshwr::yes!::loveshwr:
 
I know that visit eases your mind! He sounds like a wonderful OS and you're so blessed to be doing so well. I loved your story about the 'bent screw'! What a hoot! I've not had dental work done yet, so I don't know if my OS will want me to take anti-biotics ahead of time or not. I hope not. I think they are being prescribed way too frequently.
 
I'm glad the appointment went so well and he explained the swelling. Now you can continue recovering and not worry.
 
That's great news the hospital rang me yesterday and they can see me next Thurs 2 weeks before my original appointment just want peace of mind so glad your doing well [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Attending my first ever lymphatic massage tomorrow. I'm curious how I will feel after.
@skigirl how many sessions or how often did you go if you don't mind me askin?
 
not at all. I think I went about 4 times---it was hard to get an appt. She did give me a "wrap" which was like spongy stuff with vertical lines. I was supposed to wear it at night. I felt extremely silly, but decided to try it. I was shocked the next morning when I saw my leg---the swelling was visibly down. After that I used the wrap whenever I was resting.

Ask about a wrap if she/he does not suggest one right away.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoy your massage I've been having a look at this to will be interesting to see how you feel after


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you @skigirl I will definitely ask. By the way, my niece was married at her now husbands Aunt and Uncles place in Whitefish, 3 yrs ago, this July 5. What a beautiful part of the country, plus I had never been to MT. We rented a big house on VRBO and just had a great family trip.
 
Me too---it is so much easier to see whose thread we are posting to!! let me know how it goes with the massage. Yes, I love Whitefish. When I go away, I am always excited to return home to our beauty. I came home last week on a beautiful, sunny day---we crossed over the Swan range into the valley---wonderful!!
 
Well, the lymphatic massage was good. Gentle, interesting. Felt good. Not sure I'll do it again. I'd probably enjoy a regular massage for the money but if I notice a change in my swelling, I guess I'll go again. :)

I did get trekking poles today and used them to walk up to our chicken coop. I really liked them. I felt so straight and felt like my gait was good. I think I felt confident because I felt balanced. This was my 3rd trip up there this week - it's a fairly long incline up and back down. I'm slow and careful but I'm glad I'm able to do it. My dog, Thunder, is very happy too! Another step of many, towards normalcy.

Wish I could tap my glass slippers and get ther sooner!!!! :yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's like jumping for joy! Many times I wanted to do that.
 
Gosh, I almost thought these nights of not being able to sleep were completely behind me, but no... I've given up just laying here, trying to sleep and have decided to do some reading on BoneSmart.

Just past 15 weeks.

My knee is still pretty uncomfortable when I'm out and about walking. When I first get up in the morning I bend and straighten/stretch, but that first walk to the bathroom is very sore and stiff - I still use my cane then. However, I can definitely be up and about more than I was a few weeks ago.

I go up steps really well, I come down them leg over leg, but slowly and using the one rail pretty much. Going both directions, my natural knee hurts with the OA pain so it is a wonderful feeling knowing Ms bionic knee feels none of that. She just needs to continue to get stronger.

I've been going to the pool 3 days a week. I swim a few laps but don't kick and I do other slow water movements and stretching. I may start doing a small, easy flutter kick soon. I'm also going to start doing the water class on Mon/Fri as it's the easier one and I can do only what I feel I can do and do it at my own pace. Getting 5,000+ steps on pool days and 4,000+ steps on non pool days. Twice I've hit 6,000 (on a pool day) and didn't feel any more discomfort than normal. Icing and elevation take care of it. I do make it a point to walk up to the chicken coop daily since this includes a long incline. Going up feels great, coming down, I'm slow and a little tender. I believe half of this knee recovery is stretching stretching stretching!

All in all, I have less discomfort now (notice - discomfort has replaced the word pain). I have stopped the Tramadol but have continued on Tylenol most all hours of the day. I wish I could say I was pain free but not 100% yet. I am still taking the Meloxicam for inflammation but may try to take every other day in order to take less of it, I'm just not sure how much swelling it is controlling and I hate that I've taken it for so long - couple of years on a daily basis.

The wedding is two weeks away... I still do hope and pray for even more improvements by then. I'm sure I will have some. It's going to be a long couple of days (the venue is just over 1 hour from our house and we have to come home each night for the animals) but I do plan on packing a couple of ice packs for the wedding day (4-5 hours pre wedding and then the actual wedding/reception is 5 hours). Maybe alcohol will help!

Going to read now and hopefully find more of those
:sleep:
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom