Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

TKR New to TKR world

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
United States United States
Awww.....Stuart.....what a nice post about how BoneSmart helped you. Thank you so much! I chuckled at your line, "Came straight on here looking for advise/sympathy. I got advise but no sympathy."

We sometimes feel the need to honest and rather blunt with members to make them realize exactly what you have found - it is possible to do too much too soon and make your knee swollen and painful. We always worry just a bit that honesty might be taken the wrong way and we "lose" that member as far as giving advice goes. I appreciate that you realized we were really trying to help, took the advice and are now on a better path! Believe me, that makes our day here on BoneSmart.

Here's to continued progress for you and that wonderful new knee.:loveshwr:

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Can i ask a question if i may?
Im now 12 weeks post op. My issue is sleeping. Can someone advise or share why i wake in the morning with a pain on the inside of my knee? Im a side sleeper and have my operated leg on top of my good one with a pillow between, but still wake feeling as if my knees have been banging together all night. Any thoughts folks?

Sara61

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@5531stuart maybe without realising it your knees are putting pressure on the pillow whilst you sleep or that you are possibly lying too long in one position, I occasionally still sleep with a pillow but spend most of the nights switching it from side to side :yawn:
Maybe try a thicker pillow or occasionally try switching sides.

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Thanks Sara61, appreciate your comments, i ll try anything lol.

JennyLynne

post-grad
Country
With my last TKR, I struggled for months and months to side sleep. It was just too tender for a long time. I had to switch to my back for parts of the night (which I hate). Eventually it stopped aching.

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone else us feeling let down after their TKR, i was very lucky to get mine done just prior to lockdown, which im grateful for, but have been feeling ' cut loose' since then. Apart from the nurse removing my staples at 14 days, ive had no further contact from anyone since until yesterday at 13 weeks in, i had a 30 second phone call from the surgeon to ask about my job, then hr said you can start back on a phased back to work. Before i could ask anything he was gone. Is this normal under current climate? Ive no idea if im doing ok or how much pain or movement i should have. I think i just expected a bit more after surgery. If it wasnt for some of the advice and content on here id be totally lost.

sistersinhim

Country
That's a common complaint from our OSs. Once their job is done with the implant in, we are pretty much turned loose to others. I had a nurse that came daily for 2 days, then once a week thereafter until my third week when she took my staples out. I saw my OS at 6 weeks for about 30 seconds after riding for an hour and waiting in the waiting room for over 45 minutes. What a waste, but that's how it is with most of us. They are there if you are having a bad problem, but our day to day recovery is unknown to them. Most don't realize the pain and swelling we go through daily.

Many have found their GPs will take over where the OSs left off.

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
That's a common complaint from our OSs. Once their job is done with the implant in, we are pretty much turned loose to others. I had a nurse that came daily for 2 days, then once a week thereafter until my third week when she took my staples out. I saw my OS at 6 weeks for about 30 seconds after riding for an hour and waiting in the waiting room for over 45 minutes. What a waste, but that's how it is with most of us. They are there if you are having a bad problem, but our day to day recovery is unknown to them. Most don't realize the pain and swelling we go through daily.

Many have found their GPs will take over where the OSs left off.
Thanks, very frustrating. I guess i ll try speaking to my GP about things. Im still taking OTC painkillers, and experience stiffness, early morning and after 1.5 mile walks. I suppose im just looking for reassurance thats it s all normal at my stage of recovery and will get better with time, and not something amiss. Thanks for your ongoing support.

Wolvesfan

Country
@5531stuart ... Your surgery was two weeks before mine, and like you, any follow up was affected by the stay at home directive. Also, all of the things I’d planned to do to aid my recovery (stationary bike at gym, walking at indoor mall...I live in a climate where it’s still winter in March..short outings to see friends...all cancelled because of the pandemic). So, I worried a lot about my progress. I was able to get the staples out at my surgeon’s office two weeks post op and I had a short Zoom checkin with him at 8 weeks. It went well, but it’s not the same as an in office visit. Also like you, my knee can feel stiff and tight when I first wake up, after a walk, or after too much activity. I had PT this morning, and my therapist said it’s still very common at this stage of recovery; that some day down the road, I’ll realize the stiffness has just gone away. I hope that’s true! I’m supposed to see my surgeon next week for a 3 month checkup, and it will be at his office. I’m glad about that. I have a friend who had a TKR a week ago, and talking with her has helped me realize how far I’ve come, even though I still have a long way to go in this year long recovery. Best wishes to you!

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Hi folks, just thought I'd pop in and update on my tkr. Im now 4 months out, my knee is beginning to slowly look like a knee again, swelling way down. I've cut way down on exercises after some great advice on here. Main issue now is ive got a lot of pain behind my knee and up into my hamstring. The knee itself is great but i still struggle to come down stairs as its too painful to bend it enough. I've still never seen anyone since my op on March 2nd so no idea if im doing. I don't ice much at all as I assuming its for swelling but could be wrong. Any of the bonesmarties been here before that can offer advice?

sistersinhim

Country
I don't ice much at all as I assuming its for swelling but could be wrong. Any of the bonesmarties been here before that can offer advice.?
Ice not only helps to reduce swelling, but it also reduces pain, too. Ice helped me to cut back on pain meds quite a bit and I iced and elevated for months after my surgery. If the swelling and/or pain increased, the ice was put on!

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
I don't ice much at all as I assuming its for swelling but could be wrong. Any of the bonesmarties been here before that can offer advice.?
Ice not only helps to reduce swelling, but it also reduces pain, too. Ice helped me to cut back on pain meds quite a bit and I iced and elevated for months after my surgery. If the swelling and/or pain increased, the ice was put on!
Thanks, SIH, I wasn't sure about using the ice for the pain as its not the actual knee, but if that's the advice I'm on it.
Anything for a bit of relief.
Great advice as usual.

_Annie_

Country
My surgery was Jan. 28th, so I am almost 6 months out. i still use my Bregs Ice machine all night, if I don’t, my knee will be slightly swollen. I’ve tried to do without, but after I’m back on the machine for severs weeks, my knee looks normal again.
I’ve been a side sleeper most of life, until my knees started to hurt. I found out that if lay on my back to sleep, I pretty much sleep all night. I ended up buying a brace that won’t let my knee bend.
I’m doing really well and am looking forward to getting my right knee replaced also on August 11th. The knee brace is on my right knee and the ice pad on my left knee! Am lookin forward to the day when I will be able to be a side sleeper again! Good luck, Stuart

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Annie, thanks for your encouragement, im back on the ice. Good luck to you, hope all goes well.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
1645phillips
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom