Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR New to TKR world

Tykey

big-cheese
PS Many moons ago, in the days of black and white TV, there was a lady, Joyce Grenfell, who often appeared singing "Stately as a Galleon, she glides across the floor"

You'll find her on YouTube.

That's what to aim for, just hum the song as you walk, but you don't have to dress up

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Tykey, lol, i remember watching her in the st trinian films i think it was. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

Harryrightknee

Country
United States United States
Hi Sara61, thanks for getting back to me, like yourself i was assessed in hospital before being sent home. It s elbow crutches i have also, biggest fear ive got is putting too much weight on the knee if its too early. Im managing the stairs at home no problem and getting about ok. Ive hobbled about for years so trusting the new knee is going to be more mental than physical i think.
Hi 5531stuart, welcome to the club! I'm 4 weeks post-op on my right TKR, I hobbled on my knee for years, I'm finally just about putting full weight on mine now, everyone will be different, I still catch myself trying to compensate on my left, we have to relearn how to walk again.... Time will let you know when it's right.
You can check out my post. It's a rough few weeks ahead and even after 4 weeks there are good days and bad days...but it does get better.
Definitely read through everything in this forum there's a lot of good info.
Best of luck!
Harry

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Just thought id give a wee update on my ' progress'. Im now into week 9 and thought i was doing well. I was out walking unaided, averaging 12000 steps a day plus about 5km on the static bike, still had discomfort but no direct pain. Decided to paint my decking (2 decks) on Saturday which i thought was easy. Well you know whats coming next. Ive been in so much pain and discomfort since then, especially on whatever is to the left of my shin just below the knee. Im sure the answer is in the amount ive been doing but just thought id let you know, please dont do as ive done and assume you re ok to go back to ' normal', you re just gonny suffer like i am, it s been a couple of dark days for me, feeling sorry for myself. Sorry for the ' novel'.

sistersinhim

Country
These knees will certainly let us know when we've done something they aren't happy with. It'll probably take a few days or even a week to get back to where you were before your painting project. During that time rest, ice and elevate as much as you can to aid in your healing.

KneeHelp

Country
I'm just over my one year mark with my TKR. I still ice at night while resting with hubby. One thing I learned from our forum is you can not ice too much!

My surgeon told me at one year there are still soft tissue healings going on. My knee acts up when I do too much.

I used lidocaine cream, which is over the counter in the US. It doesn't last very long, but it does help some with the stiffness. My quads on both legs were very stiff and tight that only recently eased up.

As long as your MRI s show the replacement is OK, it's just a matter of letting your body heal. Each time I went in for a doc appointment someone was sitting in the reception room with bruises from a fall. It's a set back so I was really careful not to fall. Taking it slow and easy is my motto, lol.

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
KH, not been seen by anyone since my op on 2nd march due to covid 19 lockdown. Hopefully as sistersinhim says its just my knee letting me know its not having what im doing. I ll give it to the weekend and ice a lot and hopefully it ll settle down.

eliza61nyc

Country
Just thought id give a wee update on my ' progress'. Im now into week 9 and thought i was doing well. I was out walking unaided, averaging 12000 steps a day plus about 5km on the static bike, still had discomfort but no direct pain. Decided to paint my decking (2 decks) on Saturday which i thought was easy. Well you know whats coming next. Ive been in so much pain and discomfort since then, especially on whatever is to the left of my shin just below the knee. Im sure the answer is in the amount ive been doing but just thought id let you know, please dont do as ive done and assume you re ok to go back to ' normal', you re just gonny suffer like i am, it s been a couple of dark days for me, feeling sorry for myself. Sorry for the ' novel'.

Aaah yes, we've all "been there, done that", if it helps you're in fine company. Don't beat yourself up about it, it's very natural to want to get back to life. I'm actually a few weeks ahead of you and still find myself paying for trying to be like "wonder woman"... Ouch!!

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Im week 9 now and was doing really very or so i thought. Monday dawned with me in a new pain world i hadnt had since week 3. Ive rested all week in case id simply overdone it, but still got the same pain. Middle of my hamstring, back of my knee and left of my shin bone halfway up. Pain meds and ice relieve it but its straight back as soon as they wear off. Is this something to worry about or just requiring total rest. Any advice would be appreciated as im totally dumped by this and regretting having it done at the moment.

sistersinhim

Country
When you overdo with a baby knee, it takes weeks or maybe even more for the knee to recover. Continue your icing, elevating and resting for as long as it takes for your knee to recover from its anger.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
The back of my knee took a long time to settle down for me.

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Well halfway through week 10 after tkr, boy am i frustrated. I accept id been doing far too much up to week 8, and finally managed to hurt myself ( no idea what i actuallly did that caused it) but pushed far to hard between 12K steps and 7km on my static bike. Ive cut everything out except a gentle walk around 4K steps, and ice several times a day, no swelling or additional stiffness, just pain. Still suffering hamstring and behind knee pain along with pain down the fibula. Is it all just tissue and muscle injury or have i done something else? Its really getting me down now. Thanks for reading this but i needed to vent.

sistersinhim

Country
You added to the abuse that your poor knee had already had. It will take up to a month or more for it to heal from that. Remember, your knee isn't out of shape, it is extremely injured and needs to heal. Would you do this to a broken leg? Well, you had two bones cut off, drilled, and had a stem hammered into them. That's worse than a broken leg. Besides the bone work, your soft tissues had been cut, pulled apart, moved around and pushed out of the way. All this is very damaging to that poor knee and it needs time to heal from it. Exercising them does not allow them to heal. All it needs is gentle movements with you taking care of your daily needs.

Roy Gardiner

Country
pushed far too hard between 12K steps and 7km on my static bike
Indeed you did. Imagine 'working hard' to recover a broken leg or a sprained muscle; you can't, and walking on a broken leg or exercising a sprained muscle are counter-productive, obviously. It's much the same with TKR, you have damage needing healing, not unfitness needing training.

All you need is to help retain mobility (not fitness or strength) until healing is complete. This is done with gentle stretching exercises, without pain.

Read full details here https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-operative-exercise-ā€“-the-bonesmart-view.25463/

Golfer1

Country
Greetings! I am 11 weeks post-op RTKR. The fact that you are going upstairs foot over foot at 6 weeks post-op caught my eye. This may well be contributing to your stiffness and swelling. That activity still fires up my new knee (swelling and discomfort). Perhaps you should consider stopping that until you are further along in your recovery...just a thought

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Thanks Roy, yip im afraid ive paid the price for stupidly trying to force things. Backed off and rest with lots of ice. SIH was spot on im afraid lol.

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Greetings! I am 11 weeks post-op RTKR. The fact that you are going upstairs foot over foot at 6 weeks post-op caught my eye. This may well be contributing to your stiffness and swelling. That activity still fires up my new knee (swelling and discomfort). Perhaps you should consider stopping that until you are further along in your recovery...just a thought
Thanks Golfer1, going by ur username i assume u r one of us tortured souls that like a 5 mile walk knocking lumps out of a wee whitd thing? I actually think that was my driving force behind my stupid exercises. I assumed golf would be resuming and i was keen to get out. Amazing how ur mind thinks u r able to recove so quickly. I think my biggrst mistake was using the lack of pain as a sign of progress and pushed on. Doh! Wrong.

Golfer1

Country
Yes! Iā€™m looking forward to getting back on the links. Best wishes to you on your recovery. We will both get there, just not on OUR time schedule.

OP
OP

5531stuart

Country
Thought id give a wee update on my ' progress'. Im now 12 weeks post tkr, and wow, what a ride so far. First 8 weeks were good by my own expectations. Im afraid i made the fatal error of ' knowing better'. I pushed and added steps and miles on my bike every day until i woke up one morning in great pain and discomfort. Came straight on here looking for advise/ sympathy. I got advise but no sympathy, and rightly so. All self inflicted. After taking/ listening to the bonesmarties on here i backed right off and slowly began the recovery journey again. Im now at the stage where i feel im making steady progress just by doing everyday activities. My advice to anyone recently operated on is, please listen to the advice on here, these people have all been there, done that, and really know what they are talking about. Listen to your knee, it ll let you know when your over doing things.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hippy chick
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom