THR New to post - Hip replacement 5/7

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dani, I had butt pain. Hurt to sit on it. I just backed off the PT. In my opinion you are doing more advanced exercises. For the first 2 weeks I only did butt squeezes, modified leg lifts. Heel slides
 
oops that got away from me. Anyway. I find the full leg lift in the early days does nothing but aggravate your muscles especially the piriformis...butt....and groin. Maybe back off on the exercises. The best exercise for a hip is walking!
 
Hi @ Dani. I am responding to your "butt pain"! So I am 8 1/2 months post- op right hip and 4 months post- op left hip, so I have a little experience( actually a lot) with regards to this type of pain. With both hips i found it uncomfortable to sit due to the pain in the butt! As others have said, your muscles have been moved and stretched a lot so your surgeon could place your new joint. For me I felt this well into 12 weeks post- op with each hip. Of course by the end of that time it was just a tiny bit but I still noticed it. Remember to take your medications regularly and ice as much as you can.


RTHR - Sept. 8 2014
LTHR - Jan. 19 2015
 
I started immediately feeling pain in the buttock area. Didn't feel much around hip region. Well, two weeks later, it is still there. I feel if I didn't have this horrible huge lump in the buttock area
I'll try and help if you will tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] New to post - Hip replacement 5/7


[Bonesmart.org] New to post - Hip replacement 5/7
 
@Dani,

Before my RTHR on May 4th, I was in extreme pain. 99% of it was right buttock pain. My Surgeon told me that people usually come in with either groin pain or buttock pain. My left hip was groin pain, my right was buttock pain. Laying down was the absolute worst for me. I couldn't lay down. It was like I had an ice pick stabbing me in the right buttock. I was miserable. Now I am almost 3 weeks post op. I still have some residual pain there. My surgeon said its still trying to heal. It will get better. I am taking his word for it. It's nothing like it was pre surgery but it's still is noticeable. It takes a long time for the muscles and soft tissue to heal. Take your meds and ice. Remember it's a marathon not a sprint. We all forget and get antsy. Myself included. I hope this helps a little.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fearbox

That's a good reminder for me too that it takes a long time for muscles and soft tissue to heal! My biggest complaint is about soft tissue trauma.
 
R58B. Sometimes it moves a little lower or more to the right.
 
sorry. So it's mainly R5B B and R5B C. I sit on a recliner. Do you think I am not sitting properly and it is causing pain in this region? I don't know how else to sit. I could lie down on the couch, but sitting I can do other things. Josephine love that diagram.
 
Thanks Fearbox. I'm trying. But like you it is very painful. I was in less pain before surgery -- unless I moved a certain way then it felt like my ball came out of the socket. I had avascular necrosis. Apparently blood wasn't reaching the bone and it collapsed. I had some lower buttock issues due to lack of mobility and stretching, however, not this bad. I'm trying to be patient. Icing just seems like it would make it worse, but I'm still icing. Thanks so much. I pray that this will get better. I'm getting a little impatient. Medication doesn't seem to help much but if I stop taking it, I can tell a big difference. Wish I could get in my hot tub. I just pray that I don't have this pain much longer.
 
Dani, did you read the articles that were posted for you earlier? You know you're not even 3 weeks out from a very major surgical procedure. It's going to take some time! And you've had issues getting on top of your pain, so that can also make things a lot more uncomfortable.

I hope you are spending a good bit of the day with your leg elevated and iced. You shouldn't be doing a lot of activity or exercise until the pain is better controlled. Hang in there. It will get better.
 
Thanks Jamie. I guess I was hoping for a quicker recovery. I've been walking around the house on one crutch, doing dishes walking a couple stairs to do laundry. I have a hard time staying put. It's hard to sit for too long or stand for too long. As far as elevating, I sit on my recliner and have my legs out with a pillow underneath. I don't know how else to elevate them higher than my hips unless I lie on the couch. I figured when I sleep at night is when all my muscles relax. Thanks for the vote of confidence.
 
ICE! Ok, so since I have been out of the hospital on Mothers day, I have been using ice constantly. About a little over an hour ago, I read a post where someone said they use up so much ice. I thought to myself, I am using ice packs that are called ACE reusable cold compress. I decided to get some real ice and put in a plastic baggie and have used it twice in the past 1 1/2 hours. I think it is helping a little more -- unless it is making me numb. I am sitting on it for 20 minutes and 40 minutes off. Of course I have my stretch pants on so I do not get burned. Anyway, was wondering is there a difference? I also have a gel pack. Is the old fashion ice in a baggie the best? I'm just not sure if the ice packs I have are cold enough.
 
@Dani

I know I notice a difference. I abandoned the gel packs really quickly in favor of actual ice. The cold really helps with pain control and with swelling. They point out here that it's a natural pain controller. Yes, try real ice ... I hope that makes a difference! :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Use whatever works best for you Dani. Real ice or gel packs. I found I needed several gel packs as I rotated them around the clock during the day. Glad you are feeling some relief!
 
@Dani

The first week out of surgery I really had a hard time with ice. I'm not sure if it was nerve damage or what. But it was painful. I'm 3 weeks out today. I use lots of ice now.

I have lower back issues. It hurts more than my THR most of the time. I was awake most of the night. I still have issues with my left hip replacement. So sleeping on my left side is limited. I can't lay on my right side at all and I hate being one my back. It's impossible for me to get comfortable on my back because of my lower back. I gave up at 5 am and got up, took pain meds, and made it to my recliner. Im certain my right hip will bypass my left hip. My left hip is 10 months old. I don't think it will ever be right. The first surgery I had on that hip really messed it up.

I start my first pool pt tomorrow. I'm excited to get back in the water. I'm hoping she can help me out with my lower back as well. Nothing like having another ailment to slow down what is an already slow recovery process. Sorry just venting. No sleep makes me cranky.

Hope everyone enjoys this Memorial Day and remember those who gave their lives. In honor of my great uncle Kenneth Holm, United States Navy, U.S.S. Oklahoma Pearl Harbor 1941
Thank You.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So this is where you are hurting, yes?

[Bonesmart.org] New to post - Hip replacement 5/7


I would imagine this is post-op pain which leads me to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] New to post - Hip replacement 5/7
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. how often are you icing your wound/hip and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?

Can you detail it like this
At physio or PT
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets

At home
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets 3 session a day
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets 3 sessions a day
 
Yes, pretty much location of knot or something there.
1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions
(Posterior)

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] New to post - Hip replacement 5/7
) Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness
(4) pain different that pre surgery
3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?
(I'm now taking 10 mg Percocet with 325 Tylenol - every 4-6 hours -- usually 5 hours)
4. how often are you icing your wound/hip and for how long?
(20 minutes on, 40 minutes off). Every other hour or so. If I do not forget, I am pretty religious about using ice.
5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
(Walk outside to clean dog poops), two stairs to get outside. Some laundry. Cook some dinners, dishes. Walking on one crutch.
6. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
(Not much exercise. Walking around house enough times to and from bathroom). Butt squeezes, ankle pumps, leg raises). Maybe 20 times a day. Whenever I feel the need to. PT appt. tomorrow with new person. Cant drive yet. No way to get to PT.
Can you detail it like this
At physio or PT
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets

At home
First description - 5 reps x 2 sets 3 session a day
Second description - 10 reps x 2 sets 3 sessions a day
 
Hematoma. Well, had my new therapist today. I had her look at the area where it is painful. She is pretty sure it is a hematoma. She said I could use heat and work through that area. She said in a matter of time my body will release it. Nice to know. She said about 1/3 of her patients get this. It's just unfortunate that I have to get it. Went out walking with crutches today. She said I had a great posture and to keep up the walking. I did some bed exercises as well. She also mentioned I'm not taking enough medication. I am taking 10 mg Percocet with 325 Tylenol every 5 hours. She said I can take two every 5 hours and also take the 12 hour med oxicondtin every 12 hours. I was taking that morning and night, but thought since I got new medication that I didn't need to take that. Boy a I excited to see how it works. Hope all is well with my other hippies.
 
Hi @Dani - I thought you might like to get a snapshot of where you are in the medically acknowledged healing phases.

The following is a link to an article which provides the science regarding the healing process beneath and around the implant and the approximate timeframes for our bodies healing phases and processes.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Nutrition plays a huge part in surgical recovery, in fact it is one of the 'forgotten topics' of recovery..

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know

Feel free to tag me if you have any questions regarding nutrition.

However, I would appreciate if you (or any other member) do not request advice regards supplements as I would be breaking the Common Law Act (under which I am governed) to prescribe outside of my practice, especially via the Internet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom