THR New to post - Hip replacement 5/7

Status
Not open for further replies.
pain level right now is 4
okay, shouldn't be though
I'm now taking 10mg Percocet with 325 Tylenol - every 4-6 hours -- usually 5 hours
Is that what you are prescribed? I agree with your PT, you should be taking it more often.
20 minutes on, 40 minutes off. Every other hour or so. If I do not forget, I am pretty religious about using ice.
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
(Walk outside to clean dog poops), two stairs to get outside. Some laundry. Cook some dinners, dishes. Walking on one crutch.
Too much for 3 weeks out. Did you read the articles Jaycey left you in post #3 of this thread? There is an article about activity progression - I suggest you read it again and follow the advice.
Not much exercise. Walking around house enough times to and from bathroom. Butt squeezes, ankle pumps, leg raises. Maybe 20 times a day.
Leg raises are unnecessary once you can do them. And 20 times a day is far too much. 5 is plenty and don't forget to take at least one day off every week.
Hematoma. She said in a matter of time my body will release it.
Sorry but that's just a silly explanation. A haematoma is just a deep bruise. In time the body will absorb it, not release it.
 
Hi Josephine. I am going to try and make a doctor appointment with my regular MD I cannot deal with this pain any longer. There is something wrong. Thanks re PT. I have stopped all PT until I get better. Heat or ice isn't helping much. Ice can help numb it for a little while, then it comes back. It is almost as if I can grab the lump and tear it out of my buttock. This isn't fair. I will get to the bottom of this. Just like for a whole year, no one believed me that there was something wrong with my hip. The orthopedic surgeon who did the CD told me to go to pain management until I went back to primary care and got an x-ray that showed a collapsed femoral head. These idiots. Ugg!
 
I hope you get some answers from your GP, Dani. I'm glad to hear you're going to nix the PT until things improve. I believe the rest from it will do you good. With hips, some simple walking about the house in the early weeks (like you are) is really all you need.

I hope you continue with all the icing. It takes more than just a few days to see benefits sometimes. If it's helping with the pain while you're applying the ice, then it's helping. Please do whatever works to keep the pain at bay.
 
Saw surgeon. He said the strange bump and pain is coming from hematomas on my bottom and hip. He said it could be pressing up against soft tissue and that is why I am having pain. He said it will take time to heal. Went to my first outside physical therapist. It was nice. Doing some stretches and actually rode the stationary bike for 5 minutes. Feeling a little bit better but still trying to work through the stiffness and pain. How are all my hippie friends doing?
 
Hi @Dani
My THR was May 4 so we are on the same path. My OS told me that walking was the best exercise and that if the PT had me do an exercise that hurt then stop! He reminded me this is not like gym workouts where we "power through" the pain!
I take Tramadol for pain. the initial pain med was Norco w acetaminophen and took that like clock work for the first two weeks! I am a wimp and followed suggestions from the forum to stay ahead of the pain. Hang in there~ I wish you pain free days ahead!
 
@Dani

Hi! It's amazing how long the soft tissues take to repair isn't it? I accidentally leaned my hip on the kitchen counter last night and decided really quickly that wasn't a good idea!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
for your interest

[Bonesmart.org] New to post - Hip replacement 5/7
 
Hi, I had my left hip anterior approach surgery on May 5th and was discharged on May 8th with some complications, I am doing much better now. My leg was so swollen and the knee and foot was bruised 3 days later so I had to return to the hospital for a few days. They found no blood clots but a knee MRI showed serious subcutaneous tissue edema. I have out patient PT 3 times a week and my Therapist thinks I have Lymphedema, has anyone ever heard of this? Will all this go away and is it to soon to assume it's Lymphedema?
I too take Tramadol or Tylenol as needed. Not much pain just tightness and bruised feeling in the leg. I ice a few times a day. Thanks for reading!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom