THR New to post - Hip replacement 5/7

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my first THR I have screws. I think it's normal. I'm pretty sure my second THR has screws as well. I won't get X-rays until my 6 week check up. I remember being a little freaked out by that when I had my first one done. Nothing to worry about. I also remember thinking it all looked like a Pitching Wedge golf club. Lol.

I hope your new pain meds are working. I know I'm running low and need a refill before the holiday weekend starts. Hope your feeling better :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oops. That's, I hope you're feeling better


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
5 lifts 3 times a day
5 lifts 3x a day
5 outward leg moves 3x a day
lift my knee and put pressure against my leg a couple times a day.
You really don't need to do all this. Once a day is more than enough and take the weekend off!
Actually, hips actually don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
A little confused on why I have two screws through the cap. Has anyone else had screws in the picture?
It's just the design of the implant, nothing to do with the patient.
I do so wish surgeons would tell patients this before hand.

Here is an example

[Bonesmart.org] New to post - Hip replacement 5/7
 
@Dani

I'm fairly certain that my cup is screwed in place, too. The surgeon thought he would need to use screws. I'll see x-rays when I go for my six week check up.
 
Thank you. That makes sense. I didn't have cement either. So maybe that's why they put the screws it. They are hecka long.
Trying new meds today . Percocet 10 mg with 325 Tylenol. Apparently it's the same as oxycodone but with Tylenol. We shall see.

Any suggestions on how not to be so stiff and sore in the mornings. I dread getting up because it feels like the first day I got out of surgery. Still sleeping on my back. I hate it. I've always slept on my side.
 
They are hecka long.
Only as long as they need to be! :wink:
Percocet 10 mg with 325 Tylenol. Apparently it's the same as oxycodone but with Tylenol.
Yes, Percocet is oxycodone wiht acetaminophen.
Any suggestions on how not to be so stiff and sore in the mornings.
You need to make sure you take the pain meds on a regular basis throughout the entire 24hrs which means setting an alarm if you need to take them at 2 or 3 in the morning. Mostly people get those issues when they take their last dose before retiring at 10 or 11pm and then expect not to take any more until they get up around 8am. That means you go about 8-10 hours with no pain med coverage at all. So at what times are you taking your meds and what dose?
 
Hi Dani, you had your surgery one day after mine- just wanted to let you know i am wishing you all the best
 
I can now finally sleep on my side. I put a pillow between my knees. Body pillows are nice too. For me anyway. When I had to sleep on my back, I slept in my recliner. I couldn't handle that in my bed. I am also a side sleeper.

I am also doing a stretch that might help. Simply lay on your stomach. To make the stretch longer, simply just rest on your elbows. That whole area in the front will stretch and feel better. I can't remember what he called that muscle or tendon. Lol. My memory is terrible. I do that about 3 times a day. He also told me absolutely NO LEG LIFTS. That is just going to aggravate the area.

Hope you're feeling better and resting.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last night was the first night where I didn't use the wedge to sleep with and I also used a pillow under my knees. Woke up this morning feeling a little less stiff and sore. So excited. I also took medicine when I woke up which I think might have helped a little too. This website has been great for ideas. Thanks to all.

Walking with one crutch. Doing some exercises. Pain meds might be helping more or it's just that I might be healing more. Trying hard not to lean over to my good leg so much while on one crutch. I really have to concentrate on when I walk with my bad leg(right) that my head is over my right leg so I don't limp. One day at a time.
 
I use a pillow between my knees. It almost feels like I'll always have to do that -- had to do that for several months before surgery too! It seems to align the hips and take pressure off stuff which isn't in supportive mode yet.

Glad to hear you're doing better.
 
@Dani You may have noticed I merged your 2 recovery threads on to your original thread. We like to keep all your recovery information in one place so that we can have a history of what is going on and advise you.

Great news on the sleeping! Every little helps! Slow and steady - you'll get there!
 
After waking up from surgery on 5/7/15, I started immediately feeling pain in the buttock area. Didn't feel much around hip region. Well, two weeks later, it is still there. I feel if I didn't have this horrible huge lump in the buttock area, I would be doing great. Has anyone else experienced this pain? It's kind of hard to explain. It is near the incision, but not really. It's almost as if I can grab it and it's about 2 inches wide and 4 inches in length. Is it a muscle spasm? I was told not to use heating pad because it could make the swelling worse. I have only been using ice packs. Any ideas? Thanks all.

Love this forum. I cry mornings and nights just a little to release some anxiety and tension
 
Thanks Jaycey. Still not sure on how this works. Not such a great day for me. Still can't get rid of this buttock pain. I posted a new post. Hope I did it right.
 
The quad pain goes they have been pulled about a heck of a lot. If pain gets too sore shout out.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I posted a new post. Hope I did it right.
Hi Dani, no need to start a new thread for every topic you have. Please just keep posting here with your questions and concerns. That way we have the history.

All you are feeling is normal post op pain. Ice, elevate and regular meds. Things will ease.
 
@Dani i concur with other posters no leg lifts. I too have back issues with a L5 unstable disc. It became pretty clear that I had to be very careful with PT. Let your body dictate how much and tell PT. I have had progression slow and steady since finding my voice. The leg lifts were a definite no go for me. Having said that I can now lift my leg on its own to get in the bed and car. Hang in there...take pain Meds and ice. Sending good hugs, thoughts, and caring hands.
 
Jaycey, if I don't start a new post then how will people know I have a new topic? I haven't heard anthing re the buttock pain.
 
@Dani

It's okay not to post a new topic...people see that there are new responses to threads that they've participated in or that they watch. Sometimes you get super-speedy replies...sometimes it takes longer than you'd like, especially when you're looking for answers to questions and concerns. :what: I know!

Regarding your pain in the rear :wink: :

Sounds as though you're experiencing is related to the general trauma to muscles as things are moved, stretched, and shoved out of the way during the surgery. I don't have a similar spot in my gluts, but I have a firm, rounded spot near my incision, and my knee continues to look like a risen lump of dough two weeks post surgery. The most discretely identifiable point of pain in my leg is on the back of my knee. It's tender and swollen, probably where somebody took hold of my leg and pulled during surgery. I'm impatient for that pain and swelling to go away, but I figure that it keeps slowly going in the right direction, so I keep icing. :ice: We go through so much ice!

Are you able to get an ice pack on the spot?

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I think that it's pretty normal to have swelling and pain in points anywhere from your buttocks to your ankles after this surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom