THR New lease on life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, today was my 1 year anniversary of my 2nd new hip. The time has flown and the hip feels great. My first hip will be 2 years old in Feb. and I barely remember that it has been replaced. The only residual from my 2nd hip is the nerve damage which does continue to improve. With all of the ups and downs I am still very happy to be rid of the bone on bone pain. Nothing I have experienced even comes close to that pain.

Really looking forward to the holidays this year as the past 7 years I was either in pain, in surgery or recovering. It feels good to have that behind me now.

This forum was and still is a life line to me throughout recovery. So many good people here. We really have all been through a lot together and having friends who understand makes all the difference. As I said to Poppet the other day...Oh where we have been and now "oh the places we'll go"...

Thanks hardly seems appropriate for all the support, encouragement and friendship I have received over the past couple of years. Carry on dear fellow hippies, carry on....

Love to you all.
 
I hope you had a good day and everything is ok. I hope the view from the place on the hill is beautyful and not far to the top. Have a good weekend my friend. Tashia
 
Happy 1st Anniversary to hip 2 Diane. Good to hear the nerve damage is still improving.....that will give hope to others too to know it can improve it just takes time.

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Hi Diane,

Happy Anniversary to your second hip and how wonderful to hear that it is continuing to feel better from the nerve issues, that is very hopeful!!

Hope you were able to make it in for your massage and that it helped your lower legs and feet feel better. It sounds like you are in such a good place for the holidays with less pain, moving about, and not recovering from one of your surgeries. I hope you'll be spending some time with your daughter and son-in-law soon.

We are thankful for the forum and the connections with other that we have made. Makes the hip journey so much less lonely!! :cheers:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks, Cardie, Ann and Tashia,

So good to hear from everyone. Ticking off some other health issues right now. Nothing like the joint replacements but still things that need to be taken care of. By Feb. I figure I'll be as good as new! Or at least as good as it will get. I'll take either at this point.
 
Diane i hope this finds you better than you have been. Health issues can really be a pain. We have been having lots of rain which we need. Our days are in the 50s and the nights are usually in the 40s. We don't get snow which I have to admit I don't miss. If i want to see the snow all I have to do is drive about 15 to 20 minutes and then I am in it. If I want the ocean its about a two and half drive. Since its gotten cold we all the trees are changing and are beautiful. I hope the weather where you are better and not so cold. Take it slow and take care of your self. Love tashia
 
Diane, I notice you on line. Its pretty early where you live, I hope all is ok. Its not even 1 here yet. Take care and I hope you got a good night sleep. Love Tashia
 
Hi Tash,

I woke up about 3AM and couldn't sleep. I overdid it yesterday! and irritated my knee. Got up took anti-inflammatory, iced and fell back asleep in a couple of hours. I had weird dreams. But all is well. i cleaned and rearranged closets yesterday and went to run errands. Too much after I just told you I wouldn't overdo it!!! Rest and relax today. Chiropractor this morning and thats it for today. Take care honey, hope you have a great day and thanks for caring.
 
WOW, absent for a while and come back to such a great update from you. ...and CONGRATS on the year anniversary. Very inspiring to catch up on your thread when I think of how you were feeling a few short months ago. I am SOOO happy for you, truly I am. Thanks for posting both the ups and downs. Not feeling the way I want to, and reading your post actually makes me feel better and hopeful, I too, will be on the other side of certain issues. I know it intellectually, but sometimes I need a story like yours to let me know emotionally too. I hope you continue to move forward and feel better each day, Cathy
 
Hi Cathy!

So good to hear from you. Isn't it wonderful how our "stories" can help each other along the way. I would love to set up shop in my orthopedics office and sign people up for bonesmart so they never have to go through a knee or hip replacement alone.

Sounds like you are getting used to the "new" you. Like Poppet says we have to keep pushing our boundaries to see where we are at. I don't know if I will ever get back to where I was but at least I feel better physically and emotionally even if there are things I can't do right now. Life is still good and I've never had it as bad as the bone-on-bone pain before the surgery. I often have to remind myself of that. I am still using a cane. It's as much now for my back and ankle as it is for the hip. Who knows, if I have to keep using it, its definitely not the end of the world.

I have some health issues going on and have several procedures scheduled for December and then in Jan. I have to go to Rochester to meet with surgeons about a ventral hernia repair. Doc in Syracuse says they are the best ones to do it as that is what they do 5 days a week and are some of the best docs in the country. I googled the surgeons and boy, they do not mess around. Their credentials are top notch. So, I'm not really too worried about any of the appointments but would like good vibes, prayers about the driving and weather. This time of year anything can happen and I'm hoping for clear, open days with dry roads.

Hips are doing beautifully. After all this is over (Feb. should be a good month, I hope!) if the nerve issue continues I may look into nerve conduction testing. I have been told that a shot of cortisone might helps also. So may give that a try. It is very mild now and I can definitely live with it but if something can be done that would be great. I am also having another shot in my ankle in Dec. if I can fit it in around my busy shcedule! HaHa!

So glad you got away for Thanksgiving. A change of scenery always does the soul good and then it's always nice to get back home. With winter fast approaching you can snuggle up with some good movies and books and take it easy...
 
Diane, I read an article just last week about a clinic somewhere in Canada that is supposed to be the best place for hernia repair in the entire WORLD!! The gist of the article was that the surgeons do hernias and only hernias and nothing but hernias day in day out. They do them twice as fast as most places and their success rate is supposed to be close to perfect, including not needing to be redone somewhere down the road. It's not that they are better doctors, or know something the rest of the world does not know; it's simply that they do so many of them, they have perfected the procedure. It sounds like the practice you are going to is quite similar. Definitely an advantage of going to specialists in a certain field, rather than a generalist.

So I will hope for good driving weather for you. No more hurricanes. No more monster snowstorms. Just a plain, simple, nice day.

It seems like there has been a flurry of people reporting nerve damage of one sort or another lately. I hope yours eases away sooner rather than later. I know it can take a while.

Sharon
 
Well I can't say I am getting used to the new me because i am not sure what that is yet. i can say I am fighting to try and find some kind of normalcy somewhere these days.

Sorry about the hernia but it sounds like you have a really good plan for getting things taken care of. Really great that the docs in Syracuse knew where to send you and we're willing to give up the business. Kind of like Macy's in that christmas movie haha.
 
Diane, Hope your Thanksgiving was great and that your health problems didn't cause you any problems. Before you know it, it will be 2013. It will be a good year for you and all of us. Talk to you later. Please take care and have calm days. Take care. Hugs, Tashia
 
Diane, so happy to hear your hips are doing well. Best wishes for success with the hernia surgery. Please let us know how you're doing!
 
Hi Diane,

Let us know the dates for your hernia surgery and we'll all work real hard on sending healing thought & prayers your way for this procedure. Sounds like you are in good hands with the doc that you have chosen and I'm sure your daughter will be around to help out too!!

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!! It's nice to hear that the nerve pains have lessened over time some, they sure take a while to sort themselves out. You have plenty of time to decide what your next course of action is for the nerve. Glad that you are using the cane and not feeling down about it -- it is totally not the end of the world, it's great that it helps you get along with the other issues that are bothering you right now.

Here's hoping for a mild winter, it's about all I can cope with too!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Thanks so much for all the well wishes! I will post when I know surgery date as I will take all the prayers and encouragement everyone offers up so readily on the forum. It is so wonderful to be supported around these little blips in our lives.

Saw a urologist yesterday about some kidney stones I have. For the moment all looks well and we came up with a great plan to deal with them. He would like me to be "stone free" before my surgery. That will be a good feeling.

A lot of walking and sitting yesterday, to the doctor's and in his office. Cold, damp weather coupled with the different chairs and extra walking=some pain this morning. Will take something if I need to and ice and I have this essential oil blend that really helps sore muscles. So all in all will be a quiet day. I still think of moving where the weather is warmer. I think it would be a much healthier lifestyle for me to be where it is dry and I could get out every day. I don't even have a lot of confidence going out if the roads and walkways are wet, much less snowy and icy.
 
Prayers, hugs, love and emails winging your way Sis, from down under :)
 
I hope you can get Kidney Stone Free too! That's not a happy thing to have. Ouch!

I hear you about the warmer weather ... Syracuse area in the winter is not conducive to outside activity unless you are into winter sports.

Take care,

Dorothy
 
Diane, Prays coming from a non-snow area. :happydance: I hope you can get kidney stone free that would be so cool. Tell me the day and I will drink in all the sun I can and send to you. Just watch it rain that day.:heehee: Today was in the 60s and sunny. Please be careful with walking and driving I am concerened about you. Take care :friends: Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom