TKR New knee struggles

Thanks for the response, Henrysmom! Good to read that you're doing well and have benefitted from the MUA.

As you take this important step on your healing journey soon, you're hopefully one step closer to putting this behind you. Lean on those who love and care for you and know that we're here for you also. Hoping your holidays are bright and your year ahead is brighter. :SUNsmile: Take good care and stay in touch!
@Henrysmom1005
 
Hello all, its been just over 5 months since my TKR, which was followed by an MUA a couple months later. In the past 6 weeks I have struggled through Bells Palsy that came with horrible neck, ear, and back of the head pain. I was down with heating packs around my neck for 3 weeks. I still have a paralyzed face, but the pain is gone. I was just finishing radiation on my liver for kidney cancer mets. This has been followed by an inflamed nerve in my upper back that has hurt so much that i spend a lot of time propped up against a heating pad for hours a day. My knee is so stiff now and it wakes me at night with the whole leg hurting. I get up and move and it gets better. I am sure being so sedentary has caused the knee to get stiff and I've lost some ROM. I can still sit at a table, but putting on shoes and socks is hard. I spoke with orthopedic surgeon a couple weeks ago, he said with all else going on not to worry about it, but I do worry. Will I need something done to break the scar tissue again?
Is 5 months too soon to be concerned?
 
@Henrysmom1005 although I can't answer your question on scar tissue, I just want to send all positive thoughts to you. You are certainly being tested and I admire your strengths. Once you start moving the knee gently, it starts to wake up and that is better than nothing. Just a few gentle rocking moves until you can do manage more. I am 9 weeks and having problems with slight swelling, so not an acceptable rom at moment and my surgeon has mentioned mua. I see him on 28th February so will know more then. In the meantime I am concentrating on bend exercises and there is improvement but take things slowly. I am sure the moderators will get back to you soon and in the meantime I wish you well x
 
My heart goes out to you in all you're enduring. Even only one of the health issues you mentioned takes strength, stamina and resilience to bounce back from. Your body has been under a lot of stress. Healing may be slower and inflammation from these other conditions may contribute to stiffness. Did you work out a routine with your PT to follow at home as you mentioned? If so, and your surgeon isn't concerned, consider continuing with the home exercises and see if you notice some improvement. Hopefully you will.
Wishing you strength, comfort and the best possible outcome with the health challenges you're facing.
We're here for you!
@Henrysmom1005
 
Thank you for the kind thoughts. Yes I did get some exercises for home. Have not been faithful to do them lately. Although I do heel slides in bed. I will work harder on the others and hopefully as my body heals from other things I will see a response in my knee. I’m sure inflammation is just all over right now.
 
JusticeRider's post -

"I just want to add, for all those coming along, a note on ROM. I want to share this because nearly all of us have a tremendous amount pressure put on us to increase our ROM by certain deadlines, or else.

Mine has been extremely slow coming. First I had to wait out the swelling, which in my case took more than 5 months. Yes, months. At that point I began to see real progress. It has continued to this day. I have seen improvement in the last 2 weeks. It’s still going. A this point I think the limiting factor is tight muscles, ligaments, and tendons from 3 yrs of very limited ROM and actually about 25 yrs of somewhat limited ROM. Those tissues are slowly stretching.

I have had to be willing to let my flexion improve at a glacial pace, be very patient, and tune out the dire warnings of my surgeon, PA, previous PT, and some well meaning acquaintances. I refused painful PT and refused a MUA. I have absolutely no regrets. I know my body, and I believe those things would have caused a domino effect of swelling and pain that may have derailed my recovery long term and even possibly have torn soft tissue, etc. I now know I have the added challenges of hypermobility and an immune condition that causes an inflammatory reaction. I think a MUA would have been very harmful to me.

Instead of forcing it, I have relied on weekly massage and using my stationary bike as a stretching aid every single day. I have been very active, but I have ramped up really, really gradually. I have not measured my flexion, because honestly I feel almost a PTSD type of reaction around it. All I care about is function and what I can do. My knee is very functional now, and still improving. I love my new knee. I’m glad I let it heal on its own timeline even though it was so much longer than everyone (most of all me!) would have liked."
This is music to my ears! I am now having fantasy dreams about having an amazing bendy knee!!! I am almost 6 months post TKR on L knee and have never got past 90 degrees. I dread seeing my surgeon who is very unimpressed with me. But I am not going to be rushed. My muscles are still repairing post chemo and I have in the last 2weeks had my other mastectomy and there is only so much a girl can take. This forum always makes me feel better. Until I can get the swelling down I know it will get better. Interestingly 2 days after my mastectomy, I was packed with anti-inflammatories and I felt a marked difference in my knee. Unfortunately you have to be active immediately after surgery to prevent blood clots so much knee has swollen up a bit again. I would love to take more anti-inflammatories but they hamper healing. So it is ice for now. I hold onto the hope that I will gain more ROM. The regular massage is a really good tip.
 
Yay! I believe those dreams WILL become your reality, bodie. You've faced an incredibly tough journey and you're still pushing forward which is impressive and shows your strength and resilience. Be patient with yourself. Your body has been through a lot, but healing is still happening and will be for months to come. Trust the process and give yourself grace. We're here for you, wish you only the best and thank you for sharing your journey with all. Please stay in touch. :)
@bodie123
 
Yay! I believe those dreams WILL become your reality, bodie. You've faced an incredibly tough journey and you're still pushing forward which is impressive and shows your strength and resilience. Be patient with yourself. Your body has been through a lot, but healing is still happening and will be for months to come. Trust the process and give yourself grace. We're here for you, wish you only the best and thank you for sharing your journey with all. Please stay in touch. :)
@bodie123
Ah thank you so much I will xxx
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom