TKR New knee struggles

@Henrysmom1005
I have dealt with plantar fasciitis related to "flat feet" (overpronation) intermittently for over 40 years.
In addition to the helpful interventions from @Layla -
Once it's under control, see if Kaiser will cover custom orthotics made from molds of your feet. It's a total game changer.
 
I called Kaiser and waded through all the stuff to get some help with the plantar fasciiti
I have had plantar fasciitis, and yes, it’s quite painful. The best thing that helped me was just simple stretches for my foot, which stretched the back of my leg.
Also, I now have a gym membership and have access to stationary bikes.

I also have “silver fit” which means I can you to the ymca. They have a warm water joint excercise class. As soon as I feel I can get in and out of a pool I would like to try that.
The gym and Silver Fit are nice goals, but please give yourself some downtime first, so you can heal from all the aggressive PT you’ve had. Many times in this recovery, less is more. One of our members even said, “Slow is the new fast!”

Best wishes for your trip. I hope you can relax with your feet up on an ottoman and enjoy the different scenery.
 
Good morning bonesmart friends. We arrived at our vacation condo last night after 4 plus hours of driving. Awful rainy weather. Thankful my husband was driving. Driving over 3 passes where there really wasn’t a good spot to stop, especially with the rain. So once we stopped to grab a few groceries I was pretty crippled up. I had a long and sleepless night. My whole leg ached. This morning I really cannot bend it. Hoping if I walk a bit it will limber up. A couple times during our grocery stop my new one buckled a bit. I was leaning on grocery cart so I didn’t fall. But it was a bit disconcerting. I can only assume it’s just weakness in the knee muscles.
Jockette, you are recommending not trying to get to the gym or pool for a while yet? I do not have a stationary bicycle at home and I thought that was a key exercise movement for recovery.
Today I plan to read more of the articles on this website about recovery. I will do some quad sets and try to do sitting heel slides. I doubt any shopping will be possible today I’m just so stiff. We may go out to eat at some point today.
As you probably know, when you have plantar fasciitis you dread everytime you have to stand up and walk. All I really want to do is sit with my legs up with ice and read or watch tv.
 
Today definitely merits being a rest day after yesterday's long car ride (You may want to make sure you can spend part of the return home on the back seat, leg up and icing with cold packs); it might be worth ordering in food tonight and trying for a good night's sleep tonight.
 
I agree. Thinking take out might be best today. Even sending hubby out to pick something up might be good. Ice and Netflix seems appealing.
 
Jockette, you are recommending not trying to get to the gym or pool for a while yet? I do not have a stationary bicycle at home and I thought that was a key exercise movement
Yes, I think the pool should wait a while. My PT put me in pool therapy when I was 4 weeks post op, they had me in the pool for 50 minutes doing countless bending exercises. It took me 3 days to recover from the increased pain and swelling that pool session caused. Pools can be helpful, but it’s very easy to overdo, and cause a setback. Wait until you have healed more.

A stationary bike can be helpful but it is not essential to a good outcome. I didn’t have one, and using one too early at my PT office caused me problems, because my knee was not healed enough. (one would think they would have known that.)

All I really want to do is sit with my legs up with ice and read or watch tv.
For this week, especially after the way your leg feels now from the drive, this is the best rehab you can do. All you really need are some gentle bends, and short walks, to help your recovery. Remember, this is not “doing nothing” this is giving your knee the best opportunity in which to heal.
 
Oh gosh. I cannot figure out how to do the quotes thing to refer to what you shared jockette. Anyway.
I am good with only doing gentle bends and a bit of walking. However I do know when I get back home and resume PT, (unless i dont ) they will be working that bend again to get it back over 100. Today i bet it’s only between 85 and 90. Enough to sit at the table to eat. But not any further. I massaged it with my cocoa butter and vitamin e cream before I did some heel slides. And they were pretty sad bends.
Also I read somewhere that the night time aching and pain is because at night is when the healing really happens. But without restorative sleep how can that be a thing? I sleep about 4 hours a night. And that is because I take an oxy at bedtime I think. Sleep doesn’t come before about 2 am.
 
Hi Henrysmom!
Here is a link explaining the quote feature -

Here is a helpful link to using the forum -

A few ideas that may aid in getting some restorative rest -

You may want to try an icing session right before bed.
Pillows help! They can raise the comfort level making it easier to drift off.
Make up the bed with your most comfortable bedding / blankets along with a few extra bed pillows of different degrees of firmness. Try to block out the light if it's daytime. Minimize noise unless you feel listening to calming relaxation music, a fan, or white noise may help lull you to sleep. Make sure the room temperature is not too hot or too cold. Try to disconnect from the devices at least an hour before the targeted nap or bed time, so it's easier to wind down. Limit caffeine throughout the day and consider natural sleep aids such as Valerian, Chamomile or, Magnesium, my personal favorite, which can assist in muscle relaxation and nerves and promote healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium from our Library -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Most large grocers carry a variety of teas such as Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Herb Tea,
Yogi Teas, Bedtime, Bigelow Cozy Chamomile, all of which may help you relax...at least worth a try.
 
I am good with only doing gentle bends and a bit of walking. However I do know when I get back home and resume PT, (unless i dont ) they will be working that bend again to get it back over 100.
You don’t have to let them “work that bend” The bend will improve as your swelling goes down and you heal. That time frame is different for each of us. There is no time by which you must have a certain number.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

I had two major setbacks in my recovery, one at 4 months post op, and one at 5 months. The rest of that first year I struggled with a “good” ROM number. But, I had a lot of improvement in my second year, as my whole leg continued to relax and heal.

I was discharged from PT, just before my 8 week anniversary. I never looked back. I did an occasional “exercise” and let my daily activities be my rehab.
 
Hi @Henrysmom1005 --you've gotten a lot of great advice from others but I just wanted to sneak in here and say that I just read your thread and I too have a husband who, when he had a TKR the year before mine, just had the surgery, never complained (what's THAT all about?! :heehee: ) and has been fine ever since. Even now, 11 months after my own TKR, it's still perplexing to me that our recoveries could be so different, and even though I know intellectually that all recoveries are different, it's taken me a while to accept that! I also have had plantar fasciitis in the past and to have that when you're trying to recover from something so big is more than the sum of its parts. Enjoy your vacation and take it easy--wishing you many better days ahead!
 
Jockette, you are recommending not trying to get to the gym or pool for a while yet?
Agree with @Jockette to be careful in the gym ( especially group classes) and exercise in water. It is very easy,if you are a bit competitive, to overdo things in the gym if others are around. Also water is very deceptive and it is very easy to do too much.
I am two years after my PKR and can do pretty much anything I want- walking up 6-7miles/ day without any issues. I tried an aquarobics class at the hotel I stayed in recently. Afterwards I noticed slight soreness/ tightness in my knee which I haven't had for months. It may also have been partly exacerbated by clambering over rocky ground in an archaeological park and not doing my regular pilates - but I think the main issue was being deceived by the weightless effect of water.
 
AnnYo, it’s nice to hear I’m not the only one with a hubby who sailed through it and yet have a struggle going on for myself. I do hope I will be able to be active again. At 69 moving seems so important as holding still makes everything stiff real fast.
Yes the advise on here has been so helpful and encouraging! It really has calmed my fears quite a bit.
EalingGran, thanks for your input. I think I am feeling the need to be doing more like going to the gym and working upper body or getting to a water class because everywhere I look seniors are being advised to move more. Get that resistance going.
Hopefully waiting for some months yet will not set me back too far.
I spent the first day of vacation resting. Sadly not sleeping and today I am so tired and my knee is so stiff and sore. Tooth ache in my leg. Today I have not felt up to doing very much. Just some quad sets and a few heel slides but not to the point of pain.
 
@Henrysmom1005 - I had both my knees done during the year I was 68, turning 70 early next year. My take on it: If we don't heal properly, we can rehab properly.

I did lots of walking as tolerated but delayed resuming serious weight training until the newer knee was 9 months old (I had some soft tissue issues I didn't want to risk aggravating in case a tendon was involved). With the higher protein diet recommended for seniors, I'm doing lower body work outs twice weekly plus a full hour of tai chi weekly. I see and feel the muscles gaining mass and tone, and the weights I'm using increase at least every couple of weeks.

So my recommendation is to advance walking in small increments, do your quad sets and seated heel slides, elevate and ice. You can walk short distances as often as you like, and when you feel up to it, one longer walk every day.

My first knee was done midwinter, our chilly rainy season. I nearly wore a path in our flooring after computing how many times around the dining room, down the hall, etc came to 1/4 mile, then 1/2 mile, and yep even a full mile (amazingly mind numbingly boring!!!).
 
Mendogal, did you do short trips away from home? Like to shop? How did you manage to not have cabin fever? I love being home with my dogs. But after a few days I need an outing. I will be hoping if I spend 9 months getting better. Then have the other knee done then another 9 months maybe at 71 I will be able to be active enough to stay strong and healthy.
 
I am an introvert and an artist, so am happier at home than many of my friends are, plus I could sit outside on our back deck, watching birds and lizards (and flowers during the June recovery) until ready to take very short walks in the backyard.

At 5 weeks I accompanied MDH to our Farmer's Market (one long block in each direction, with cane). A few days later, to our local natural foods co-op, using the shopping cart as a walker. At 6 weeks, he dropped me at a cafe to meet a friend for lunch (she drove me home).
 
think I am feeling the need to be doing more like going to the gym and working upper body or getting to a water class because everywhere I look seniors are being advised to move more
If you want to exercise- have a look at my pilates teacher's free classes on YouTube.
Google Katja pilates and loads come up.
She has upper body ones as well as a side lying glutes one with no squats- which was my go-to strengthening class once I could get down on the floor easily.
She is excellent and you can go at your own pace and just find what suits.
 
Mendogal , I too would rather be at home and with my dogs. I’m not great with groups of people. I do find that after a few days inside I do need to get outside and breathe or I feel a bit closed in. Where I live we do not have good walking area as our property is a couple acres with very uneven ground. Currently working on the hubby to make me some gravel walk ways that would be helpful for walking around outside. . I’m working with a health coach learning more about eating Whole Foods and currently prefer a holistic approach to health and functional medicine for healing. This was prompted by a kidney cancer diagnosis that went from a one time thing to spreading to my pancreas. ( not the same as pancreatic cancer) After radiation we have been monitoring for two years. Current scan showed a possible lesion on my liver. I have had another test and will be having a mri next week. If it is something they will address it with radiation again. My oncologist had agreed that taking care of my knees was an okay thing to do at this point. He is optimistic that anything that pops up with regard to the cancer should be treatable. All the more reason I want to be mobile and enjoy being able walk and do some travel with my husband. I feel
Like this year is a time to concentrate on healing. Right now my job is to take care of me. You are very encouraging, and I appreciate your input. ☺️I welcome all comments and suggestions. I enjoy hearing other women’s stories. Thank you so much!
 
Mendogal, did you do short trips away from home? Like to shop? How did you manage to not have cabin fever?
I did short walks to a local coffee shop and then had a break before walking back.
I was lucky as we also had an Odeon Luxe nearby with footrest seats that elevate quite high. I managed to go there on crutches and tolerate a movie.
Later on at about 8- 10 weeks I remember enjoying a trip out to the gardens of an old house for a coffee with friends.
I am like you in that I get cabin fever if stuck at home. You just have to find outings that you can do without aggravating your knee. Concentrate on the fun stuff and gentle exercises. Ignore stuff like housework or cooking that involves a lot of standing. We lived on pre- prepared meals for weeks. Save your energy for stuff you enjoy!
 
Hi Henrysmom,
I am sorry to read about your health challenge. I wish you strength and healing every step of the way and pray you find peace and wellness. It sounds like you're on the right track with the changes you're making. Best wishes in regard to your MRI next week. We're here for you and we care.
Sending love and a hug. :console2:
@Henrysmom1005
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom