TKR New knee struggles

Hi @Henrysmom1005 --I will leave it to the experts to give you advice here--I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear of the serious health challenges you're dealing with. It makes everything about recovering from the knee replacement feel more worrisome and urgent, I'm sure. Your optimism and openness to ideas come through and I know both will help you. Wishing you all the best.
 
Hello. It’s my second day of getting out and about on our vacation. Having a meal and then some shopping. Very touristy here. So mostly window shopping. It’s expensive. Driving into the next town today for lunch. Maybe a little shopping.
I still am not sleeping much due to discomfort and pain. And when I sleep a couple hours I wake up with such stiffness and pain like my knee is stuck. It isn’t of course. But it sure hurts. Because of the fasciitis in my other foot and the occasional buckle with my new knee, I am using a walker.
I’m still icing and taking all the pain relievers. The pain and numbness combination feels nerve related and pain meds just don’t touch it.
I finally heard from dyno splint folks. They want to bring me one when I get back. I have a phone appointment this Wednesday with surgeon I can tell him my ROM is better and I can’t tell him whether or not the splint is helping because they are so late getting it to me. I am considering talking to surgeon about waiting on any further efforts to make that knee bend. I would like to give my knee more time and continue to do gentle heel slides and quad sets. Although quad sets are now painful in my knee. And they really weren’t before. I am now 8 weeks out.
 
I'm sorry the quad sets are hurting your knee (as opposed to making your quads a bit sore from overdoing them). It's the first time anyone has mentioned that. Please stop doing them.
I hope you're not overdoing being out and about and are able to elevate and ice.
 
Just a warning--I used both Dynasplints back in 2019, and they are NOT comfortable. Whatever the recommendation on the extension splint (2-3 hrs at a time), I couldn't get past halfway. The flexion splint was just as bad.

I would never tell you what to do, but I do wish someone had warned me what I was in for back then. :boohoo:
 
Mendogal it hurts my knee cap when I do the quads now. It didn’t before. Doing my best to not over do. But still go with hubby to eat and a couple shops. Sitting down when I can and not staying out very long. It may have been too soon for a trip away. But it was booked a long time ago. I did not expect to still be struggling. Silly me thinking I would be like hubby was. lol
We are going back home sooner than planned because I’m just not at a place to enjoy. And if I am just going to be in a room watching tv, I may as well be home with all my comforts. And my dogs. lol
Rockgirl4. I may get the splint and then if it’s very uncomfortable I would use it. Insurance pays for it so even if I don’t use it, it will be ok. I’ll talk to surgeon next week and see about just waiting a while to see if improvement happens organically.
 
It strikes me that if the contraction of quad sets hurt your kneecap there could be an inflammation or other minor problem at your patellofemoral tendon (actually a ligament).

You might want to book an appointment with your ortho to have it looked at.

The usual treatment for tendonitis is.... Yep, rest, elevation, ice, and NSAIDs if tolerated.
 
Safe travels home! You will feel better in your own space with all the comforts of home and your dogs.
At least you tried! Plenty of time ahead to enjoy getaways once you're feeling stronger and more energized.
Have a great weekend, Henrysmom! :wave:
@Henrysmom1005
 
Hello again. We made it back home last night. I took the suggestion of riding in the back seat with legs up. We stopped a couple hours into our 4 hour trip. When I got out, which was a challenge, I could hardly walk or out weight on my good leg. What I have been thinking was it Band was so painful. But I really think it’s coming from sacral area. I had to use the bathroom so I just leaned on walker and hubby. I cried getting to the restroom and back to the car. So I modified how I was sitting to keeping surgical knee up on the seat and other leg down. We stopped an hour later and I had the same experience. Today I cannot bend my knee farther than to sit down at the table. Heel slides are worse. I don’t know if I need ice everywhere or heat. But I’m pretty down. I will have a phone appointment with surgeon on Wednesday. I have PT tomorrow. I don’t even want to go. But it’s the weekend and I cannot cancel. Sure would appreciate good thoughts and prayers.
 
A four hour car trip is a real endurance test. I am not surprised you are stiff and miserable. I would go very easy with PT tomorrow and not be pushed into anything difficult. Good luck!
 
I agree with @EalingGran You’ve had a lot of activity for a 2 month old healing knee and it is expressing its struggles. For the next few days rest as much as you can, keep your feet up on an ottoman, or couch, as much as you can.

If you really feel you must go to PT tomorrow, just ask for modalities for swelling, and decline to do any exercises. Just getting to the office and home is enough PT. (It’s what I call “natural PT” ) Remember, you are in control of the PT session, not them. Or, just call them in the morning and tell them you’re not up to coming in. (this is what I would do, if there’s a fee for cancelling, it might be worth paying!)
 
@EalingGran you are probably right. Too soon for a trip like that for me.@jockette I will call in the morning and see about rescheduling after I speak with surgeon.
 
Tomorrow is a new day...prayers you feel better. :prayer:Sorry you had such a rough time on the trip home.
I have PT tomorrow. I don’t even want to go. But it’s the weekend and I cannot cancel.
Consider calling first thing in the morning to tell them you're not feeling well...because you aren't "feeling" well.
Or will you be charged for the visit without giving a 24 hr notice? If so, when you get there, tell them you're feeling really anxious about today's session and worried it may be too painful. Let them know exactly how high your pain level is. I am sure they will have compassion, be gentle and make adjustments to accommodate your pain level. Be honest and tell them you will not do anything that hurts and stick to your guns. :wink:
I hope you feel better soon!:console2:
 
@Layla I plan to call first thing and put off PT until after I speak with the surgeon. With the ROM actually being worse since I had my 6 week check up with surgeon I’m not looking forward to this follow up. Hoping he will give me more time to recover before expressing any urgency toward MUA. Feels like a lot going on with my body right now and I need to take things one at a time. Orthopedic surgeon is not aware of my up coming liver MRI. But I really need to know what that shows before I even consider MUA.
 
That's so much on your plate!

I agree with others' counsel to cancel your PT.

Make sure your surgeon fully understands that your ROM issue is a temporary setback caused by too much activity including the four car rides, and that you're addressing it. He can't "make you" have an MUA.
 
I agree that your current ROM is a temporary set back. Please don’t worry about it. These things happen all the time, to all of us, and it will most likely happen again in the future. ROM does fluctuate depending on our activity, which affects our swelling. More swelling equals a bit less ROM.

At only 2 months into a year long recovery, you have lots of time to improve, and you will! Where you are now is definitely not where you will end up. In reality, in my opinion, MUAs are rarely needed. All we really need is time.
 
Hoping he will give me more time to recover before expressing any urgency toward MUA.
MUA is your choice, take comfort in that and allow yourself more time to heal from the trauma of this major surgery. One challenge at a time and your MRI is enough to concentrate on as your body continues to recover from TKR. I hope all goes well with the upcoming imaging and you receive good news. Love, hugs and best wishes on your two month anniversary!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary! Stopping by to say :hi: I hope you're doing well.
Many blessings to you now and in the New Year.
Take care!
@Henrysmom1005
 
Thank you so much! I am doing well with knee. I did have a MUA about 3 weeks ago. It made a difference for me. I knew I would be starting radiation treatment some time after December 9. I really wanted to get my knee to move better before beginning that. It was t fun but it is better flexibility wise. Physical therapist is releasing me now. I will need to plan out an at home routine to keep moving forward with range of motion.
I hope you all have a great Christmas. Blessings to you. ⛪️
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom