THR New Hip -Now bionic!!<

Hi @Cas .
Just seen you are in Yorkshire, whereabouts are you? I am in West Yorkshire (Greetland) and had my left THR on 31st October so just a few days before you!
Another beautiful day today but cold. Like you I am desperate to get back to walking my dogs - I have 2 greyhounds from Tia Greyhound Rescue - and I love walking in the woods. My beautiful horse in the picture on the right is currently on full loan as I'm not sure if and when I will get back to riding. My other boy on the left passed away last year age 25 but I still love the picture. Not so "HorseyLady" at the moment.

I am also suffering buttock pain like you - can't wait for this to go!

Hope you are doing well!

thank you for all your positive feedback. Hope it keeps improving. The only real worry for me is dislocation having read how much risk there is in the first year. Didn't realise it was this long!

Hi @Cas .
Just seen you are in Yorkshire, whereabouts are you? I am in West Yorkshire (Greetland) and had my left THR on 31st October so just a few days before you

I am also suffering buttock pain like you - can't wait for this to go!

Hope you are doing well!

Hi there I am in East Yorkshire - not far. Love horses and used to ride myself. In fact that's how I did my hip, Knee and shoulder in! Galloped into a telegraph pole and hit it with my right knee. Didn't break anything but was told I'd pay for it later. Oh The Follies of Youth LOL. Your horses look brill.

The pain in the butt is anoying. One day it's there and the next it can be gone only to return

keep in touch x

The only real worry for me is dislocation having read how much risk there is in the first year. Didn't realise it was this long!
Please don't worry about dislocation. It is pretty rare. Give yourself 6 weeks of being careful. These implants are very tough. Just listen to that hip. It will tell you if you are moving wrong.

thanks Jayce I was in a panic about it wondering how I'm going to manage my strong boisterous 1 year old dog. Can't afford to pay for a walker so want to be out with him asap and get some training in as he hasn't had much over the last year. Know it won't be up to usual standards but he really needs to learn to walk on a loose lead etc - just the basics for now! It's been hard for the last two years as I did agility and obedience comps and also showed. I have already had to rehome a dog last year due to not being able to train and exercise him and it broke my heart. Two very good friends have him and he is having a super life but it still hurts as I've never done that before.

I was in a panic about it wondering how I'm going to manage my strong boisterous 1 year old dog.
Treats and lots of positive attention! I used to obedience train dogs. The one year olds are sometimes a challenge especially if they are on the big side. Do be very careful he doesn't jerk the lead and throw you off balance when you first start taking him out. Maybe try in the garden or other more enclosed space so you have control. Practicing heeling and sit stay now may be possible - if you are feeling up to it.

thanks for the reply so quick. No don't feel up to handling him yet - he's a retriever cross poodle. Strong, stubborn, highly excitable, wanting to jump all over you when outside. He is ok inside thank goodness. Knows basics sit,stay,down, leave, etc. It's just the outside stuff. But that may be for a while yet!

Hi all has anyone else suffered from sore itchy heels and ankles? Mine are driving me potty!!! Want to scratch them off. Be glad for any help on this. Thanks Cas

anyone else suffered from sore itchy heels and ankles
I didn't have sore ankles but my heels were really sore. Post LTHR I had pressure sores on one heel.

I found if I folded a towel under that leg just so my heels did not hit the bed I didn't have the problem. Or you can buy those blister plasters and wear them for a few days. Works great!

thanks a mill my heels and sides of foot were so itchy I got my daughter to take stockings off. Then she suggested cooling gel for athletes that she has. What bliss they stopped itching and were lovely and cold. Take my last blood thinner tablets tonight so can I take these stockings off yet? They are driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!

can't get to sleep for the itch and soreness in heels and ankles. When it eases off I get about an hour then it wakes me up again. Any!one have any ideas how to relieve it? Jaycee gave me some advice and I,ll try that tomorrow. Icing helps but can't find a way to get them on my heels and to stay on- wish they made a boot with cooling gel

Did you leave your TEDs off? They can cause this itchy feeling.

No I thought better put them back on as I'm supposed to leave them on for 6 weeks - really want them off now though do you think it would be ok? Both feet swollen , red and itchy especially the toes this am. Thanks Cas

If you are taking anything to thin your blood and you are moving around regularly during the day I would ditch the TEDs. I ditched them after 2 weeks both THRs. They are a pain to put on and I hate that itchy feeling.

You have used them for a whole month! Well done. I can't recommend not using them but if it were me - they would be gone!

thanks for that I think the itchiness might go if I wasn't wearing them. Will try without and see how the swelling goes - can always put them back on!!!!

Use ice on any swelling. Much more comfortable than TEDs!

Hi all had a lovely day out with my daughter yesterday but was very tired last night - early bed! It was just such a relief to get out and have a change of scene. Have solved the itchy feet for the moment with cooling gel sheets. What a relief when they first go on - bliss. Am wondering if I'm allergic to a water tablet that the doctor gave me for my swollen legs and feet as I have a red pimply rash where it itches. Water tablet is ferumoside. Any ideas? thanks Carol

@Cas just checking to see how you are doing. I have no idea if your rash is an allergic reaction. You might want to discuss this with your GP or the nurse at that office.

@Cas just checking to see how you are doing. I have no idea if your rash is an allergic reaction. You might want to discuss this with your GP or the nurse at that office.

Hi have spoken to the doctor and he thinks it's a reaction to the water tablet so have to stop those and see how I go. Will keep you informed - thank you for your help

well the itching is subsiding thankfully It was driving me nuts. swelling in legs and feet improved slightly but seem to have to elevate constantly as the minute I stand up you can almost see them filling up again. Trying to walk as much as possible but they become too swollen and painful to do much. Will keep battling onwards and upwards. I keep telling myself this is only a temp setback and the future keeps beckoning. Will let you know how it goes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Cocoabean
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom