Guest viewing is limited

THR New hip in town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, just checking in at 16 weeks postop. The weeks are flying by! I've resumed my hectic work schedule for a full month now- typical week is 50 hours and I exceeded that the week of Christmas. Luckily I have a desk job but with there are some days where it's impossible to find time to take walk breaks during the day. Hard to walk in evenings in the dark and cold plus we just had a major winter storm which has left my favorite trail impassable. But I've ordered a treadmill for the house and once it arrives I'll be able to walk every night! I can't wait.

I've been working on stretching and range of motion in the new hip. I still have a ways to go with that. Resumed my babysitting of the grandson every other Friday night. Last week it went great! I was able to bend, hold hands with the little guy and walk all around with him. The real test was picking him up off the floor after bath and I pulled it off with no pain at all. The new hip felt great all night long! However the next day I was sore! Guess it will take a while before I can do those kinds of things with no repercussions.

This morning something happened though which is worrisome. Shortly after waking up I headed to the kitchen for coffee. This involves turning a corner. My first step around that corner on my operated leg caused me severe sharp pain in the hip and down the leg. It stopped me in my tracks. I immediately panicked wondering what I had done to cause it. This pain felt was deep and sharp like it was preop. I have never felt this pain since my surgery. I took a few more steps gingerly and the pain eased up a bit. I took a Celebrex and headed to work and all day I've had this deep soreness in my groin, like where the socket is. Has anyone here ever experienced this? After a full day I came home, iced, took a Percocet which helped some and rested. I'm praying that it's just a tweaked muscle. I don't know if I should call the dr or not. Hopefully the soreness will be less tomorrow. If not I probably will call my OS because I'm a bit paranoid.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo Oh I do hope everything is ok. Take is easy and if it is not much better in a few days be sure to check with your doctor. :console2:
 
@Tweetybrd- thanks for stopping by and offering support! You are on my mind every day with your surgery so near. 8 days and counting! It's so close you can almost feel it!

This morning the pain was decreased, down to about a 2-3 from yesterday's 7. I am greatly relieved by that. Soreness remains in the area where the acetabular cup is. The pain got worse as the day went on. I'm wondering if it's from sitting at my desk most of the day or in a conference room chair. Back to working 9-10 hour days in the office instead of at home at a bistro table that allowed me to stand off an on and also sit in a high stool which is more comfortable. Maybe I need to look into getting a standing desk.

I'm still replaying my movements yesterday morning to try to figure out what I did to cause this pain. I probably twisted my leg somehow going around the corner without realizing it. The weird thing is I have never had pain in this area during my recovery. This is new to me. It definitely has my attention. It makes me wonder if somehow the cup has moved or shifted. If it doesn't get better tomorrow I may call the OS nurse just to get reassurance. I can walk fine although sometimes that causes pain down the front of thigh but I've felt that before. It's a mystery for sure but hopefully just something minor that will go away in time.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo Hi there. sorry to hear about your scare. As far as my doctor told me you would know if you had done any real damage to your hip because the pain would be soooo bad. Maybe you pulled a muscle when you picked your grandson up and didn't realise it and it's only just showing now. I also think that as we get further along recovery and start to feel more confident we forget to move cautiously and can jar something deep that's still in the healing process. ( I know I do something sometimes without thinking and then hope I got away with it LOL. ) I have to keep reminding myself that at 3 months we are only a quarter of the way through complete recovery and healing especially when I feel I could do anything on a good day. If you are really worried tag Josephine I'm sure she would put your mind at rest. Hope you feel happier soon keep going life is great isn't it.
 
I probably twisted my leg somehow going around the corner without realizing it.
New hips do not like any twisting movements. And Cas is right - if you damaged anything you would be in major pain. Rest, ice and elevate and take something for the pain if it is too bad. If rest does not relieve it I would say make that phone call. But in most cases these little "tweaks" just ease.
 
Thanks @Jaycey and @Cas for the encouragement. A week later the hip is feeling better. I'm being extra careful to avoid any twisting. Still a little sore but no more twinges of severe pain like last week. I find at this stage if I don't make time to walk each day my hip hurts more. When I walk it loosens up and the pain eases. I only had time for a short walk yesterday and today but once I got going it felt great and I was cruising along. Ideally I would like to be walking an hour a day but I'm not there yet. But I will get there! Hard to believe it's been 4 months with my new hip. Time flies. Hope everyone is doing well with their recoveries!
 
Im so glad to read that your pain has lessened. I'm sure in a few weeks you will be all back to "normal". :)
 
@jaymo hi so glad you're feeling better. I still have pain in my back and buttocks when I do too much! Hope all goes well with you. Keep us posted.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom