THR New hip in town

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jaymo - I'm reading your posts at 12:45 AM. This is the first night since my surgery 5 days ago that I've not been able to get back to sleep when I wake up after the inevitable 3 hours. I take Restoril (Temazepam) for sleep and it has not been restricted since the surgery. I was on Ambien for several years and was finally able to wean myself off it a couple of years ago. It's vicious stuff, causes really terrifying dreams, especially after missing a dose. I went through a couple of alternative prescription sleep medications before settling on the temazepam. It seems to suit me best. I'm hoping that once things have settled down from the surgery, I may be able to discontinue it as it was the hip/groin pain and related bursitis that kept me up at night. Since I had an anterior approach, I don't have precautions or restrictions so at least I can (now) usually find a comfortable sleeping position. My pain level post-op is low; the biggest discomfort comes from really sensitive skin under the belly fold. It's actually excruciating and I might called the OS office later on. I've tried Lanacane and Gold Bond but the skin is ultra sensitive there, a deep burning sensation. This isn't new to me, I occasionally get it under my boobs. Weird thing is there's no rash, just a couple miserably burning sensation. Swelling is reducing and hasn't gone below my knee, although the bruising is quite dramatic. I'm with you on the icing, I bought two very large gel packs with a comfortable cover, not the slippery vinyl. My biggest disappointment is that we won't be able to spend Thanksgiving with our son and family in Nashville, followed by a few days in Florida. My 6 week appointment is 2 days before [emoji884] day and in any event, I don't think my OS would sanction such a long flight from Pacific Northwest to Southeast. I'll have to make Thanksgiving at home this year.....


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
the biggest discomfort comes from really sensitive skin under the belly fold

Have you tried nappy rash cream? I know there is no rash but it is great as a barrier cream. I tend to use it when chaffing becomes a problem - works a treat!
 
Today was a great day. I started the day by enjoying 8 hours of blissful uninterrupted sleep! Woke up feeling rested and refreshed. Boy how I have missed that. Best nights sleep sinc before op.

Took my longest walk ever since surgery ( really for the entire year) , 20 mins , 2000 steps. Paid Close attention to my muscles and my gait, especially during uphill stretches. I can tell I'm getting a bit stronger each day. The quads don't hurt quite as much as they used to. It's so nice to be able to say to myself, at any time, oh I think I will take a walk outside. That was not an idea that would occur to me 6 weeks ago.

This surgery is life changing!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Two days shy of 6 weeks post op now. Been tired and a bit blue the last couple of days. I've also had increased buttock pain in the last 3 days and it's stubborn pain. Been icing the area for most of the day.

Saturday I ventured out a bit. Went to a family gathering on Saturday- 25 min car ride each way and then alternating between sitting on various chairs and stools and standing for 3 hours. Later that night went out to dinner and the seating was hard on the bum. Since then I have been very sore and it hurts to sit without extra pillows and ice. I hope this pain eases up soon. Perhaps I stayed out too long?

Today at PT I saw a fill in therapist. She had me do some different exercises than normal. Then she did some massage on the top of my quad muscle and had me do some stretches for that muscle because it's apparently very tight and partially to blame for my poor gait. Between the massage and the gait I am very sore. She said it will take "a long time and a lot of work" to stretch that muscle out so it's normal again. Did anyone else have an issue with their quads being tight in the groin area? Any ideas for relief?

I suppose I am blue partially because I am still not cleared to drive yet and I'm tired of relying on others to take me every where. I'm not taking any pain meds regularly during the day and my op leg is getting stronger every day so I'm hoping that he will release me to drive at my 6 week check on Thursday. Not being able to drive and get out is very isolating and it's starting to get to me. Some days I feel like an invalid. I read about others out driving now and out doing so many things at 5 weeks and I am not doing that yet.

I'm also a bit frustrated that I'm not as far along in my recovery as I would like. I'm struggling with not being able to do a whole lot at this point. I know that I'm so much better today than I was 6 weeks ago but just not quite ready to renter life at even a slow pace yet. I know this temporary but It's just getting to me today.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
:hi: @jaymo - it's a roller coaster isn't it. We hit these flat patches when we get down because we want to be totally back to normal again but it doesn't seem to happen fast enough. You did have a busy patch of car riding/ socialising and sitting and maybe the buttock pain has pulled you down a bit on the pain front and consequently moodwise as a result.

I checked back and @CricketHip enthused regularly about the benefits of thigh rolling using s bamboo roller (I believe purchased from. Amazon) If you type roller in the search box and then her name you'll find a lot of references to it. I have a feeling she is actually a therapist herself (though my memory is a bit hazy) and cannot recall at what stage she started doing this, but others picked up on it and there was a lot of info sharing on the subject so you might like to take a look for yourself in case it's of interest. Meanwhile I'm sure the reliable icing will ease things up.

I know that once I got my driving wings back again it was a big turning point as I felt a great independence once more and reconnected with the world. Fingers crossed for Thursday :fingersx:. Let us know the outcome:console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@MissMuffet- as always it is reassuring to get others opinions, especially in the early weeks of recovery when we are so isolated. The support on this forum has been invaluable!

I made it through yesterday after a few tears and being down. I broke down and took one Percocet to ease the muscle pain and rested well last night. That made all the difference and I woke up in much better spirits and I am so grateful for that. I was able to walk twice today, each for 20 mins at a time ( that's my limit right now). There is the expected soreness afterwards but after a rest and ice it subsides. I also did some practice on the steps going up with my operated leg per PT instructions. It's slow going as the leg is so very weak. Finally throughout the day I did some stretches of the front of my thigh to stretch that area. Interesting that you mention the roller As I ordered one about 2 weeks ago and have been using after each walk. Today I used it a couple of additional times. I think it helps somewhat.

My stamina is very low though I'm very out of shape. The only thing I can do is keep on walking and moving so that I can get back in shape. I get out of breath walking up the little hill on my street for just a few minutes.

I was able to do several things around the house as well today. I made a to do list and crossed things off as I went (shades of my preop self). Felt good to do actually making progress on some things and not just puttering around the house.

I have high hopes for my 6 weeks follow up visit and a long list of questions for my OS on Thursday. I'm so ready to start driving again and getting out of the house a bit more.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad glad you felt a little easier after a rest. Many have commented that if they have a day of activity they always follow with a rest day, then alternate their days like that. Personally I couldn't cope with inclines for many weeks. Take it steady and you'll get there.
 
Exciting day! Full hour of PT and then down to see OS for my 6 week checkup. OS and his PA say that I am healing well and am making good progress in PT. I got the green light for driving - woo how!! They cautioned me to do short trips at first to see how the operated leg does with driving. Definitely brightened my spirits to be able to get out on my own again.

My conservative OS reminded me that I still need to follow dislocation precautions for another 6 weeks. I knew that going
In but he is SERIOUS about this. He did say that the internal stitches and capsule are almost healed but with increasing activity and being out and about it is very easy to move "just so" and dislocate. In my case my muscles are very weak from 4 years of limping so he reminded me that I will tire very quickly and need to remember that when I go out of the house. I still have thigh pain at times and constant pain in my rear- sitting is painful without a cushion. He said both of these are normal and will continue at times for a while but eventually go away. Another order he gave was no invasive or minor procedure or dental work for 6 more weeks. After that I can go to dentist and have other procedures but must use the prophylactic antibiotics he provided. I can now swim, do water aerobics and take a bath. The only thing not allowed are high impact activities. No more sky diving for me lol.

I find it interesting and frustrating that different surgeons have different dislocation precautions. Mine has been very conservative from day one while others are not as rigid. However my new hero has given me a wonderful new hip and a new lease on life so I will keep with the precautions another 6 weeks.

After my big morning my daughter picked me up and we went shopping for a bit. I ended up standing and walking in the stores for over an hour- BIG mistake! My thigh was screaming to sit down and I stated limping. Didn't intend to be out that long but it felt so good to be doing normal things. Went home and iced and rested which helps some.

I still need to figure out when to go back to work and I'm torn about that. OS says I can go back to my desk job whenever I feel comfortable. Hard to imagine that right now when I have trouble sitting for even an hour. Standing is even worse. He did say the normal recovery time is 10-12 weeks. And his PA, who is a THR recipient himself, took a full 3 months off of work when he had his surgery. My employer covers a full 10 weeks off for this surgery so I may go ahead and take the full 10 weeks. My job is very stressful and nonstop busy so I want to be sure I'm really ready when I return to handle the fast pace.

All in all a very good day and a big milestone.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
7 week postop update: this week has been a real turning point for me. After a bout of post op blues over this past weekend, I woke on Monday in much better spirits with very little soreness. As I went about my day I realized I was moving around like the old me who wasn't held hostage by arthritis pain and limited mobility. At one point I also realized that I wasn't thinking about every single step I was taking, rather I was moving about easily. Ever since my surgery, even though I've been progressing well, my hip has been first on my radar 24/7. I've been so worried that something g would go wrong that I was still holding myself back a bit. This epiphany was very uplifting.

Why the new outlook? I think my muscles have gotten strong enough that I'm finally regaining confidence in my joint and leg. I'm strong enough now to not wonder "can I walk that far or move in this way?" (within reason of course). So much of this healing process is mental and emotional. Our brains know that we have been given a shiny new joint but our emotions want to protect it. And of course we know that we need to be patient and take it slow. I certainly have done that, but it's wonderful when the muscles start healing and you are able to regain some semblance of your normal self. I finally feel somewhat normal!

Swelling- by far biggest issue at this point. The area immediately below my incision is noticeably swollen still. Visible through clothes, still tender to touch and backside still sore when sitting. Cushions and ice are still part of my normal routine. Incision itself is healing beautifully.

Pain-controlled for the last 6 days on Celebrex alone. Last time I needed Percocet was after 1.5 hours of PT last Thursday.

Activity- I am up to 1.25 miles per walk. Still not walking a lot uphill. Sticking to flat trails now that I can drive to them. Doing all the household chores. Driving to stores and running errands. Getting in and out of car while keeping precautions is quite a process but it gets easier every day. I'm on precautions for another 5 weeks.

Return to work is scheduled for November 14th. I will be starting back part time, 20 hours a week from home to ease back into it. My employer called me 2 weeks ago to ask when I was coming back. I reminded them of the 12 weeks recovery time and then worked out this compromise. I am still low on energy and mentally just not ready for all of the things that go with working. I also want to be a bit stronger and have my walking routine more firmly established before I go back. The temptation will be strong to skip my walking once I go back full time and I want to resist that and keep the walking as a regular part of every day. I feel that's the key to recovery.

Interesting things happened in PT last week. I was working on steps and while I was walking up the step with operated leg I felt a strange popping in the center of my thigh. It happened with every step. This was new to me. PT said it was either muscles or tendons rolling, definitely not my prosthesis. When I feel something brand new my first concern is always my prosthesis.

I hope these details help the newcomers to this forum who are earlier along in their recovery. Reading others stories here has been invaluable for me so wanted to return the favor/pay it forward. Wishing all of my BS friends well!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
:goodpost: @jaymo. What a great update - and your frankness is so helpful for anyone watching their progress. I do agree that so much of our recovery is to do with a mental attitude and you've clearly got that taped. I think the slow return to work is a good idea as it seems to take a little while for the brain to function properly! I called it brain fade, where my concentration just wasn't up to scratch. I couldn't 'get into' anything that involved my grey matter then one day I woke up and everything changed. I started to read (and take in the words) and felt interested in things generally - making plans, phone calls and picked up on my hobbies again. So pleased you're doing so well!
 
@jaymo Thanks for that wonderful update! Us new hippies love reading the success. And yes, that hip is very much on my mind continuously, precautions, exercises, if not too much or not enough. Love reading your thread, again thanks so much!
 
@jaymo Thanks! I have not responded much on your thread as I have not had my surgery yet and didn't have any advise that you needed. But I have read every post you have put up and am learning from you and you keep all of us waiting for surgery inspired with your great posts and attitude. Keep it up!! Good luck with the returning to work part and please keep updating us. :)
 
@jaymo Your posts are so informative. Thanks so much for sharing with us. These are things that are 'yet to be' for me since i am only 11 days post-op but hearing you talk about the times when you are walking and realize that you feel like your old self, even if it is limited right now as your healing continues, gives me great hope to FEEL that myself someday soon.

Hope you continue to recover so well!
 
Thanks for all of your responses ladies! I am glad my posts are informative and helpful in some way. This forum is so helpful to me, especially when I feel like some folks don't truly understand what we are going through. It helps immensely to share stories with other hippies.

As the week has progressed I have increased my errands and activities inside and outside the house. I think I must have overdone it yesterday as I woke today with severe muscle pain in my rear. Basically the entire area that we sit on. It hurts constantly in every position. I've been icing today. Was hoping it would go away so went out and did a few errands for about an hour and a half. Only went to 3 stores, walked around pushing a cart. By the end I was hurting big time so took myself home. Sat on some ice packs and then broke down and took a Percocet for pain. Now 2 hours later the pain is back down. While I did do some things yesterday I nothing was too radical and I don't know what happened. I'm just going to take it easier today. A bit frustrating since I would like to get more back into life but as many have said here, you just cant rush this recovery and our hips are in charge,

One thing I forgot to include in previous post- energy level. The energy drain we talk about is very real! Between our days in bed, previous inactivity, and the work our bodies are doing to heal, it's hard work getting out and about again. While I am walking a. I,e and a quarter at a stretch I am pooped after that! I feel like I have no stamina right now. Trips to stores tire me out! PT says this is normal and work my way back to previous level. Not like I have a choice anyway. It's just not something I anticipated. The only thing we can do is be patient with ourselves I've learned.

I hope that all of you have successful recoveries (and surgeries). Along the way if you have any questions or just need to vent I am here. This is my first THR , heck my first major surgery of any kind, and I had so many questions at various points of the process and this forum helped so very much (kept me from going nuts) and that's what I hope to give back to all who come here.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tweetybird- when are you having your surgery? I want to keep up with your journey. The weeks leading up to the big day can be stressful but it's worth it in the end to be free from the horrible pain!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo have you tried doing gentle Hamstring stretches for that pain you are experiencing? I had major spasms post LTHR and started doing these stretches from a sitting position. It really did help and I have continued them to this day!
 
@Jaycey- I haven't done the hamstring stretches in a while so I will try them. Thank you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Start very slowly and gently if you have not done these in awhile. Many new hippies complain of very tight hamstrings post op. In addition the sciatic nerve runs down that area and anyone with lower back pain (that's me) will benefit from stretching that area.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom