BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

[THR] New hip in town

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jaymo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. jaymo

jaymo Member

United States United States
    Just creating my recovery thread here on the sunny side. Will post updates when able.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Tags:
  2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

See you here tomorrow! All the best!

3. Nana2-8

Nana2-8 Senior

Told ya.....we'd be holding your hand thru this! Will be waiting patiently for your first up-date.

4. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Here's your reading all ready for you!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

5. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Good luck! Sending positive thoughts for a great surgery and recovery out for you. :)

6. jaymo

jaymo Member

Hello all- I'm excited and relieved to make my entrance on this side of the forum! I am so relived that this surgery is finally over!!! Of course you all prepared me and held my hand through this and I have a fantastic OS so I had much on my side.

Yesterday morning I arrived at hospital at 6am and was taken back about half hour later. Talked to OS and 2 anesthesiologist. Explained my fear of waking up during surgery. She assured me that she would make sure that didn't happen. 10 minutes later I am hugging a nurse for my spinal and I remember being lowered to the table and propped up on my side for surgery. Next thing I know I'm in the recovery room,! It was like I took a nap. Stayed there for about 45 mins and then was taken upstairs to my room.

I had quite the time with pain control. By 8:00 last night I was a 9-10, so I begged my nurse for something on top of the Percocet and oxy. She gave me a shot of Dilaudid and that did the trick. All night long I received Dilaudid IV and that was the best!! Had some side effects of the anesthesia- chills shakes chattering but worst of all low BP. And I am hypertensive so for me to be low was surprising to me but they see that all the time. I just pushed the fluids and by noon I was back in normal range. Then did 2 rounds of PT and my boyfriend trained with me how to get my led up into bed! He's been very attentive and I'm so appreciative!

My PA visited this morning and confirmed that yes I had end stage arthritis with lots of osteophytes inside the joint and out. I asked for specimen ( or photos) but he said the femoral head just crumbled apart so he couldn't do that. He also confirmed that I got a fancy cobalt femoral stem with ceramic coating so if will last a long time.

I was discharged 6 hours ago and now I'm back home in my memory foam bed. Aaaahhhhh! I will say the log leg is not as "stuffed " as I was expecting but the most painful thing is the very tight feeling I have. Feels like my doc tied everything up very tight on side and butt. Of course it doesn't help that I need to lay right on my operated area. Feels extra sore with my weight on it. I'm sure it will get better every day, but from just a few rounds of PT I can tell that my hip will only tolerate so much movement and then it's done. I'm icing and elevating as I type this and staying ahead of the pain with round the clock pain meds. The ice packs from Amazon are very cold and effective so that helps.

I can't tell you all how much your support has meant to me and how relieved I am to have this surgery behind me! Recovery here I come

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. OUCH!

OUCH! Senior

Woo Hoo!

Congrats! I can't tell you how great it is to read this post today. Both because I'm so happy for you and because my surgery is today and this helps me feel more positive! Home in 36 hours. I should be so lucky!

8. jaymo

jaymo Member

@ouch- I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers today. Today is a big day- the beginning of the rest of your active pain- free life! Praying for a speedy recovery for you. Keep us posted.

9. OUCH!

OUCH! Senior

Thank Jaymo!
    Hey, can I ask how long your surgery took?

10. Nana2-8

Nana2-8 Senior

What a great first post! You sound like you're in good hands. Stay ahead of the pain....ice and elevate...push those fluids.....and let others help. Don't be in a rush. Rest/sleep when you can.

11. jaymo

jaymo Member

@ouch- my surgery took approximately 1 hour 20 mins....

Pain level is much better today!! Hip is loosening up a bit every day. I'm pushing fluids bit I'm so swollen and puffy everywhere . It's so great to be home. I was able to sit on a stool near the porch and feel the nice fresh air and hear/ see the birdies chirping.

I'm resting in my chair with great ice pack - feels so good!

So far so good

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. DizzyBlond

DizzyBlond Senior

So thrilled that it's over and done with, and best of all - there you are, enjoying the out-of-doors without that crumbling hip joint to give you misery! You've done all the reading, you know what to do... ice, rest, elevate! And, when you're having a good day, enjoy it in little bits - don't push it! You're body has gone through a huge, jolting surgery!! We're cheering you on!!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. jaymo

jaymo Member

Thanks@Dizzy Blond!! Yes I'm enjoying the little things in life in short bursts. Had lots of visitors and got to see my grandson today! In between visitors I was able to rest in bed. Stayed on track with med schedule . Did exercises and kept ice pack on all day. Sore of course but nothing crazy. Able to get around the first floor with my walker which I've outfitted with a handy little holder with pockets so everything is within easy reach.

Lots of swelling in thigh butt area but I was warned about that.

While I know that I will have ups and downs it sure was nice to have a good day that wasn't built around excruciating bone pain. This pain is nothing compared to before...my surgeon is gifted and I'm grateful to have this chance to get back to my active life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Tweetybrd

Tweetybrd Graduate

Im so glad you surgery went well and you are now doing great on the recovery side! Slow and steady..hehe :)

15. jaymo

jaymo Member

Major swelling today all down my operated leg to the foot. If there was a cankle contest I would win. Foot and ankle are uncomfortably tight and puffy. For now I am laying on bed elevating my feet with my wedge pillow. I've been icing my hip and foot but while sitting keep my operated foot propped up on an ottoman- guess that was not enough.

On a brighter note, my pain level has diminished dramatically. I forgot a dose of my Percocet this afternoon. It's wonderful to glide around on my walker on this smooth new hip!

Had first shower today and it was wonderful. So nice to feel fresh and clean again, not to mention wash off all of the iodine they painted my leg with in surgery.

Anyone else have challenges with swelling and have any tips for managing it?

• Like Like x 1
  16. jaymo

jaymo Member

Im 10 days post op today! While they've been long days I'm amazed by the progress I've made.

Had a great session with PT today. They have several machines there and my PT put me on the new step machine and showed me what she wanted me to do. I taught she was crazy but in the end I did it! Along the way she helped me understand more realistically what the 90 degree rule really looks like on me. I've been so worried about not breaking that rule that I've been holding myself back. I still have a lot of muscle pain it hurts quite a bit during PT so will need to take the full med dose next time. Walking form has improved greatly in the last few days.

I still want to sleep and rest a lot . How much is too much?

My PT helped me change my bandage today, incision looks good no redness or swelling, but it looks bigger than I expected- approximately 8 inches or so.

Pain is keeping me up at night- even with ice. Hard to find a comfortable position. It doesn't help that my incision and operated tissues are right where I sit all day . I find lying in bed or walking more bearable than sitting. I dream of the day that I can lay on my stomach.

I'm itching to start walking outside but not ready just yet. Still very weak. For now, I enjoy time standing on the porch taking in the fresh air in between walking my short laps around the house - it's exactly 46 steps from front door to garage and back. I try to do 3 sets of 10 laps each day. I don't know if that's enough or too much.

For now I'm just taking it slowly.

17. Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet Forum Advisor

@jaymo - it's amazing what can happen in just 10 days. My only concern (and it's purely a personal point of view) is using that step machine as I wonder if the nightime pain you are experiencing relates in some way to overdoing things a bit with the PT? Once you get outside and walking in the autumn air you'll feel hugely better. These little goals are such enormous leaps and will lift your spirits. Keep it up!
    Oh and BTW - my scar is 12" long (I had posterior approach). I'm 5 months out now and it is palest pink and I can see that the thin silver line my OS promised will definitely be a reality. I've worn shorts this summer and it isn't even visible. Healing takes time, but it does happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

No such thing as too much rest or sleep. Your body has been through major trauma. Rest and sleep time is healing time.
    Are you taking your pain meds as prescribed around the clock? Very important at this stage. Having said that sleep can be a problem post op. Nap during the day if you can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. jaymo

jaymo Member

@Miss Muffett and @Jaycey- thank you for your responses. I'm feeling a bit lonely and out of sorts with the isolation. And I'm a loner kind of person! I think because I'm used to working 55 hours a week I don't know what to do with myself all day. I suppose once I feel stronger I should conquer the stairs and go up to my art studio where I love to paint on my days off. For now I've just been keeping to the main floor, resting and practicing walking.

I've only been on the stair stepper once ( yesterday) but this mid thigh pain has been with me since Monday. I can only assume it's a deep muscle pain from the muscle trying to repair itself from the surgery. The only thing that helps is an ice pack directly on it, I tried to keep an ice pack on it most of today and that helped. I will watch and see if the stair stepper aggravates my thigh pain at my next PT session.

Good to hear that sleep is good cause I am sleeping often. My nighttime sleep is fragmented 2-3 hours here or there so I make that up during the day. I am taking full dose of Percocet and oxy at night, but during the day I've gone down to 1 Percocet every 4 hours. Could that affect night time sleep?

Doc put me on aspirin 2 x day which I am happy to take to prevent blood clots. However I've had several nose bleeds in last few days which take a long time to stop. A pain for sure but at least I know the aspirin is working! I just have to be careful blowing my nose.

I walked a lot today inside, tried a few steps with a cane which went well. Also got to see my daughter and grandson- highlight of my day. On days when I get to see him and cuddle him it always lifts my spirits. He was especially cuddly today.

Overall my pain never got above a 2 and that was in my thigh and rear end. Very little pain anywhere else. All in all a good day,

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Why are you using a stair stepper. Way too early for that type of exercise. Your muscles are still in recovery mode. Let them rest.

Patience my friend! It's still very early days!

• Agree Agree x 1