THR New hip in town

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tweetybird- talk about a nice birthday gift!! That's great! Keep us posted as it gets closer. Do you have a thread on Pre Op side?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Tweetybrd- once I started to read your preop thread I realized that I had read it earlier. All of your details came back to me. You poor thing- you have really been through the wringer haven't you? I'm hopeful that your THR will provide some much needed relief for you.

I identify with your story in a many ways. Prior to my surgery, like you, I had undergone several injections in the hopes of relieving my pain. From March of last year through June of this year I has 3 epidural injections, a hip injection and most recently a sacroiliac injection. None of these provided any relief beyond a few hours and the steroid side effects were tough to take. In addition to my horrible hip with no cartilage I also have arthritis throughout my lumboscral spine, degeneration of the lumbar discs, and spinal stenosis. In May they were recommending a spinal arthrodesis. I was shuffling back and forth between neurosurgeons and the OS and neither could definitively tell me where my pain was coming from entirely. All the while I was becoming incapacitated and almost housebound except for work. I was in constant pain and almost at my wits end. After talking to my GP, and two close friends who are physicians, they encouraged me to think more about hip replacement.

So in July, back I went to the only OS I had ever seen for my hip. Trouble was he wasn't very personable and I just didn't click with him. After seeing him for the 3rd time, I thought I will get a second opinion. I researched online to find highly recommended OS in my area, found my new OS, and limped along (literally) until the end of August when I could get an appointment. After 30 mins with this compassionate man who answered my numerous questions, knew I had found THE ONE. He inspired confidence from day one. I scheduled my THR and have not regretted it.

I share all this now because, going into this I was not sure how much of my pain was due to my hip or my spine. They told me my hip disease was severe, but my entire leg hurt. Every single step hurt all way down my leg. My leg would give out unexpectedly. My hip joint itself, in my perception, didn't hurt nearly as bad as the rest of my leg. So I proceeded with guarded expectations. However, to my delight, I can tell you that this new hip has relieved 98% of my pain! It's truly incredible. I. Almost 8 weeks out and I'm still amazed with every step I take, and it's been that way from the day of my surgery. Now that the pain is gone, I've reasoned out how all that pain was from a deteriorated joint. The pain I have today is much different, just muscle pain from my leg working correctly again, which gets better every day.

There are 2 reasons for my long essay here: I sympathize with your current situation and all that you've been through. I've been through some of it and it's not easy. You are to be commended for getting through all of this and persevering to find your OS of choice and waiting for your surgery. Secondly, there is every reason to believe that this surgery will relieve a great deal of this pain that you've been suffering with for so long. You will be amazed! 2017 Is going to be a great year for you - you're gonna get your life back and this horrible pain will be gone. I'm going to be looking out for you as your surgery date nears and waiting expectedly for your recovery updates.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo Ah Thanks so much! Your post made me tear up!:hugzz:
I am not a complainer, so it was kind of hard for me to write all that down. LOL. I just always say " I'm fine" or "I'm ok". My MiL told me the other day, if when she asks me how I am and I don't say one of the previous comments she is just going to call 911. :heehee:

I have thought for a while now that my pain in other parts of my body(down my leg, lower back) is most likely due to my hip. Sounds like you had a lot of the same issues and they are gone, that is so fantastic!!
I am so glad your recovery is going so well and you are mostly back to normal. Keep it up!:)
 
Aaah @Tweetybrd I hope that my novel above gives you hope, and a bit of comfort to know others have and are experiencing the same pain, frustration, and impact in their lives as you.

I don't normally complain either, which is why it took me so long to find my OS. And schedule my surgery. Basically waited until I had no choice any more. It was hard for me to write all of that too, and I don't like to think about all of it but it's part of the journey to get to our THRs and it makes our recovery that much sweeter. It will all be worth it in the end.q




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
8 week update- hard to believe it's already been 8 weeks! Feeling more normal every day.

Activity- daily walks are an absolute must for me. I'm still doing about a mile and a quarter each day. Focusing on the form. Not breaking any speed records that's for sure. I alternate between walking in my neighborhood which has big hills that make my thighs ache, and a flat trail by my house. I use the my walk app on my I Phone, my last saved walk was from April where I limped for half a mile in pain with every step. Today, No pain, only mild soreness in center of my leg that comes and goes during the walk. So before my THR I had stopped my daily walks for almost 5 months. I'm also doing regular grocery shopping driving to PT, run any errands. The seat belt in the car rubs against my incision so I take a small towel and put it between seatbelt and hip and that eases the soreness. Stairs- I can come down stairs normally but going up normally is hard. I can do a few at a time but then have to revert back to one step at a time. Right quad is still weak and I'm working on it every day.

Pain - only on Celebrex 2x day. I overdid it one afternoon last week and had to take a Percocet once. Since then pain has not gotten above a 2.

Incision continues to heal nicely. Getting smaller each week. I do still have visible swelling around and below the incision ( it's not red) doc said it was underlying tissue that was moved during surgery and the swelling may take a while to completely resolve. For now , I'm carrying some extra "junk in the trunk".

I'm continuing with PT once a week for now. The next big step is going back to work next Monday. I will be working part time initially and ease into things, and I will be working from home which is great. I'm sure I will need rest each day after work- I don't want to push myself too much. But I want to be able to keep up the daily walks. I don't go back to Dr for another check for another 4 weeks.

I hope all my BS friends are doing well!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you are doing great @jaymo ! And your plan for returning to work is spot on. Easy does it!
 
9 week update- another week down with my new hip. After making such amazing progress initially, this last week has seemed like I'm standing still. Doesn't seem like I'm making much progress physically. Still walking an average of a mile and a quarter every day. Anything more than that and I start limping. Fatigue is still a big issue for me, so I find myself needing to rest a lot or take breaks frequently.

After 8 weeks out I started back to work on Monday. I have a desk job and it's physically not demanding but bet very mentally challenging. A lot of research, analysis, and interaction with a very demanding client. I knew it would be a difficult transition starting back but oh my it's been hard. My plan was to ease in gradually at 20 hours a week (4 hours a day). That plan didn't go so well and I ended up working 7 hours the first day back. By 3:00 pm my leg and butt were very sore. I walked after work and rested and iced later that evening. And my mind started racing.....wondering how am I going to ease back into this? Yesterday I managed to keep it down to 5 hours. However during the day I had to go into the office to get a new laptop, and ended up standing for an hour and a half. Had my cane for support. Didn't dare sit down on any of the low chairs there. Leg started to get sore at that point and just got worse the rest of the day. By 4:00 my thigh was hurting bad and entire hip area was swollen. Guess that was too much. I almost took a Percocet but didn't. Today I kept it down to 5 hours again. Getting pressure from manager to come back FT ASAP. Not gonna happen yet. I am determined to phase in slowly. As you can imagine my job is very stressful. I can rarely get coverage to take time off so I waited most of this year to schedule my THR. it took a miracle for them to cover me for these 8 weeks. Now they are trying to dump a full workload on me and I'm just not ready yet.

Over the weekend I helped my daughter throw a bday party for my grandson. Cute little man just turned one. It was fun but I did a lot of standing and bending ( maintaining precautions of course) but man did that wear me out! My stamina is just not back to normal yet.

Sorry to whine just having a rough couple of days. And a bit of the blues. I'm struggling a bit emotionally as of late. Hoping that my fatigue gets better, my stamina improves and that soon I'll be able to walk longer. I'm also hoping to be able to be more active so I can lose some of the weight I gained pre op from limited mobility. I'm still on dislocation precautions until Dec 14th. After that I can ride my stationery bike! Yippee.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo Oh wow! Stand your ground with your job if you can, you still need to take it easy and heal. Sorry you are having a harder few days. :console2:
Glad you got to help out and be there for your grandsons 1st birthday. That is exciting! They are so cute at that age. :)
 
Thanks for the sweet words @ Tweetybrd! Today was a little better, mood a bit lighter today.

Work was not quite as stressful today so that helped a lot. Also got to get out of the house for a short walk and take some dinner to my daughter and got to see my grandson. He smiled as I came into the house and crawled right over to me which made my day!

I haven't been to PT this week and I've just been walking at least once if not twice a day. This weekend I'm going to drive to a flat trail near my house and see how I do there. The hills in my neighborhood are still pretty challenging for me.

Muscle soreness is better today. I think my our and a half episode of standing on Tuesday was not good for the new hip. I'm still having visible swelling just below my posterior scar, right in the tush. It's visible under clothes. It makes my pants fit different. Doc said it may take up to a year for that to go away. I didn't need any extra junk in the trunk but I just deal with it. My scar has healed beautifully though. And it's straight now. Right after surgery I thought it would be curved but it's straight and thin. Pretty impressive handiwork from my OS. I'm still on dislocation precautions for another 3 weeks but I'm fine with that. I'm just going to be very careful when the precautions are lifted since I'm pretty paranoid about that.

One day at a time is how I'm taking things right now.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
11 weeks and one day update: after stalling a bit 2 weeks ago, progress has returned. The day after my last post I decided to make myself drive to a flat trail for walking and that has made all the difference. Walking on flatter terrain is so much better! I've walked almost every day and today I walked 2 miles with my daughter and grandson. Very little pain until the last 5 mins or so when that ache in the operated thigh starts up. Even with the soreness I didn't limp or need the cane-woo hoo! Stamina is slowly improving.

Prior to 2 weeks ago I had not been able to walk on this trail for over a year. Today I once again realized just how limited my life had become and how amazing THR can be. I struggled to take 500 steps outside in April of this year and now I'm able to walk pain free. Walking on this trail with my daughter and grandson was one of my goals prior to surgery and I even visualized it the morning of my surgery. Today I felt so fortunate and appreciative that I can enjoy a simple pain free walk once again. What a huge emotional boost. After the walk we took the sweet lil guy to the park and played in the sand and it was so wonderful.

Im up to 30 hours a week working from home. This allows me to take breaks, walk around, change positions throughout the day. I do still get muscle soreness from sitting at a desk. And I finish early enough for the walking which I consider extremely important to my recovery. I'm not looking forward to going back to the office full time because it will be much harder to get a good walk in during the day. Typical workday is back to back meetings straight through til 5:00 or 6:00 but I'm still going to try. I will say the mental focus for work is still not 100% but it's getting better each week.

Pain is almost entirely controlled on Celebrex, but I did overdue it walking at a craft fair for 3 hours last Friday and I resorted to a Percocet and ice as my thigh was throbbing. Next day was back to normal with almost no pain. Still stiff when standing up from chair like most everyone else. I'm still following dislocation precautions for 2 more weeks. But I will be happy when I can tie my shoelaces. I'm still ever mindful of my legs position at all times but it's sort of ingrained now. Found myself doing the golfers reach in the middle of a restaurant last weekend- didn't give it much thought but I got a few weird looks.

The last thing I am working on is stair climbing. Muscles, although stronger since surgery, are still pretty weak, so stairs are a work in progress. Finally the energy drain is still real, even at 11 weeks. I have become more active in the last 2 weeks but I tire fairly easily and still need to take breaks and by the end of the day I am pooped. I know there is still a lot of healing going on but I didn't expect to be so fatigued at this stage of recovery. I'm not complaining though because I am so happy with my new hip.

I hope all of my BS buddies are doing well and I'm wishing you all continued smooth recoveries.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great report! I'm so glad you are making progress again. Wonderful that you can get out and walk and enjoy the time with your daughter and grandson. :)
I am so thankful I found this forum to read through all the great stories here as they are happening. I feel so much more prepared for my surgery and recovery because of all of you.
 
@Tweetybrd- I know what you mean about finding this forum!! It has been so wonderful to share stories, find information, and get support and reassurance. I still come here almost every day to try to keep up with everyone. It's like being part of a special club, well I guess we (and our new hips) are pretty darn special.

It won't be too much longer for you! Your time is coming up soon and you are going to do great. Then we will be reading your posts and cheering you on! Hang in there, the wait can be tough at times but it is SO worth it. You will be doing things you never thought you could do again or that you forgot about being able to do. And you will be able to get your life back on track. I am excited for you!

Yes the time with my daughter and grandson is amazing and I treasure being able to walk with him and carry him again. He's a cuddler which I love but he's also just starting to walk so I got the surgery just in time to be able to chase (very carefully of course) after him!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo so happy to read you are getting out and about with that shiny new hip. That energy drain will fade - just a bit more time. You are doing well!
 
Hello BS friends! I will be 13 weeks post op tomorrow which is hard to believe. The first 2 months seemed to drag by but the last month has been a blur as I've returned to work and increased activity.

Saw my OS for my 12 week check last Thursday and he said I'm doing great and FINALLY released me from all dislocation precautions. Now I'm finally able to dry my leg without a reacher, sit on normal toilet seats again - the normal things I used to take for granted. Doc released me to all activities except running and jumping. Reminded me of prophylactic antibiotics prior to dental and other procedures-for life. He's aware that others recommend that for only 2 years but that's his recommendation. He hasn't steered me wrong yet so I don't mind complying. I still have swelling in the butt and thigh- he says healing continues for a year so it's expected. He recommended a gradual return to bending down, and for touching the foot he demonstrated how to do it himself: sit down, bend knee and bring the foot up between the knees. Interesting that he was so specific. He also said this about healing: "if you're like me you will try twice as hard to heal twice as fast but that won't work because hips heal on their own time". SO TRUE!! Next appt with him will be at the one year anniversary of TKR with annual X-ray to check placement of the prosthesis.

I'm up to walking on flat trails 2 miles with no problem. Increasing distance only as my gait and form allow- if I start limping after a certain distance I take note, back down, and try longer distance the following week. Taking stairs slow as my muscles are still weak. Getting in and out of the car can still be uncomfortable some days, but for the most part as long as I don't overdue it I have very little pain and great movement. Incision is beautifully healed.

The biggest challenge for me currently is return to work-I'm now back full time and it is exhausting. One day last week I came home and was in bed by 8:00 pm. A couple of times I've done too much on the weekend or pushed myself physically and resorted to ice and Percocet because the pain got bad. Last time was 2 weeks ago. This week better physically- making it 9-10 hours a day in the office with only minor soreness. Today I found myself hustling down the hall and someone remarked how fast I was moving and that I was walking normally and not hunched over! With every step I take now I think about how life changing this surgery is and that it's the best decision I ever made. For those of you waiting for your new hip- it will be all worth it in the end! This entire experience has taught me to take care of and pay attention my body, be patient with healing, and to be thankful and treasure this new hip.

Wishing you all Happy Holidays!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jaymo I've just read all your posts and they are truly inspiring! :yahoo: I am progressing slowly at 7 weeks post op. I still have a way to go but after reading through everything here I have hope I'll be running and showing mu dogs again by next November. Thanks for your posts and keep them coming.:dancy:
 
@Cas-I'm glad my posts are helpful. Reading about others' journeys before and after my surgery helped me so much so I wanted to do the same. 7 weeks for you! Congratulations! I bet you're moving and walking better each day. And you will be back to showing dogs by next November for sure! I progressed slowly as well and there were times likes it seemed I was stalled but looking back on it those "stalls" were relatively short lived. Weeks 8-12 were when I saw lots of progress and started getting back out and doing normal things again. And it felt great to be able to do those things that I have not been able to do! You will experience that too. Keep up the work you're doing, take it slow and steady and you will get there.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi, Jaymo! I just tonight caught up with your recovery story. You've done a great job and I marvel at your wonderful positive attitude. I know your careful detailing of your journey will help many others who come behind you and read about your progress. It only gets better and better. Congratulations on your new hip!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom