THR New hip amidst fire evacuations!<

@otisbeagle just dropped by and reading your recovery wanted to say how impressed by you coping with a little one and a healing hip...inspiring.
Also wish I had a physio like yours...no such luck in Uk but if necessary would have to pay for that level of support.
Wishing you a continued good recovery
:loveshwr:
 
Lifting the baby is almost better than it was before my operation
Please be very careful about lifting. New hips do not like lifting anything of weight. I know it's a balance between caring for your youngster and recovery. But try an limit the lifting for now. You will have plenty of time for this once that hip is fully recovered.
 
Jaycey, thank you for the advice. Now I am completely on my own with the baby (parents just left, and husband is on a short business trip), so I do have to lift him sometimes. But I do try to limit it. Whenever I go anywhere, I always use the stroller (I was accustomed to doing this before the surgery, because it hurt so badly to walk with him). Basically, I only walk with him extremely short distances, and only when absolutely necessary. He weighs 22 pounds, so I agree that excessive carrying would be a strain on my hip. Fortunately, my in-home PT watched me carry him up the stairs and gave me tips.
 
@Cathippy, that's a shame that PT is not up to snuff in the UK. Is it related to your differing healthcare system? From what I understand, the quality here is all over the place. My husband went to the UCLA PT center previously for a shoulder injury, and the whole shebang lasted under 30 mins. Then his doc recommended a private clinic (same copay with insurance, mind you), where the sessions lasted 90 mins and were much more sports-specific (my husband fancies himself an athlete). Something I am really liking about my new clinic is that they make me do all exercises on both sides. This forces me to balance on my operative side, and hopefully, this will keep my stronger side strong! Cathippy, perhaps you could get a recommendation from someone close to you for a better PT clinic??
 
Hi @otisbeagle
You're a champ doing this with a baby. I can't even imagine. It's good to know your PT gave you some tips for carrying the little Prince. I would imagine at his age you have to chase him at times too.
Exercise caution, it's all you can do. I hope you have a great rest of the week!
 
Thank you, Layla. My in-home PT said that carrying the baby on my left side would balance me out a bit, since my right hip was replaced. And I’m left-handed, so it works out. At least he holds on now, and I stand him up before picking him up (so that I’m not having to lift him from the floor). Also trying not to trip over the toys or dog!!

I am very happy because I just got up on our spinning bike and pedaled slowly for five whole minutes (zero resistance). Yesterday, I attempted this feat but couldn’t get up on the thing, so yay!! Not going to push it though. And the rain is forcing me to chill out this afternoon.
 
Hi @otisbeagle
We dont get any choice about who we see for physio in UK unless you pay privately which i may have to do. I had my surgery done at a private hospital that the NHS subcontract too. The physio was very brief and follow up was in class.
Going to ring them today as increasing back pain spreading from lower back to upper back today !
Unlikely to be seen though..probably telephone advice. :gaah:
 
@Cathippy That’s too bad that you can’t choose your PT. Rrgh!! You know, I had terrible mid and lower back pain before my surgery (clearly related to my hip), and that went away immediately postoperatively. But once I started ambulating without any aids, I felt some tightness again—surely related to my side-to-side shuffle. Now that I’m walking straighter, that tightness is gone. I couldn’t say whether your back pain is similar, but I wanted to throw that out there. Hope it improves!!
 
Rats, it looks as though I overdid it the last few days. Though I was feeling decent yesterday, I enjoyed some searing pains down my front side last night. They pretty much took me down (uh...while on a work call to India, so now my clients probably think I’m insane), and I was still having symptoms when I got up to use the restroom in the middle of the night. Today I just feel a bit sore, but I haven’t experienced those intense pains again. At PT this morning, I was told to SLOW DOWN!! My PT checked my range of motion and watched me, but he didn’t think it was anything serious. He said that recovery isn’t linear, and that aches and pains can cause temporary setbacks. We went pretty light on the exercises today, and I am trying not to do too much today—mostly practicing improv (I am a jazz musician). And now I’ve got my feet up, and the baby is chewing my dirty socks. Future world leader!!
 
Happy Friday! Getting a visual of your baby boy and doing a laugh / gag combo, lol.
I'm sorry you were struggling with pain last evening. I'm glad it's easing...no longer intense.

Your PT is right, recovery isn't linear. PT can cause aches, pains and set backs because it's really not necessary. It can also cause chronic pain issues if you're not careful. Searing pains that took you down sound more than mild or transient. Please be careful. Consider the BIG TIP....the choice is yours -

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I hope your weekend is all you want it to be.
@otisbeagle
 
Layla,
Thank you for the well wishes. I haven’t had the searing pain today, but I do feel tired and sore. So aside from my early morning PT and a quick trip to the grocery, I’m doing very little. It’s a bummer, because my husband wanted to go to a holiday benefit event this evening (with the baby), but I had to say no. Cabin fever is pretty intense, but I don’t want to risk a more significant setback. With any luck, I’ll feel better tomorrow.
 
Aww, it's too bad you had to skip the benefit. I sure hope you feel a lot better tomorrow after missing out and resting this evening. Great news that the pain is easing.
Hopefully you'll be able to get out this weekend for a bit.
Enjoy the night :)
@otisbeagle
 
@otisbeagle - I'm so sorry you had a rough one yesterday. Sounds like you've got the right idea of doing as little as you can while it sorts itself out. At the very least you have one lively boy to keep you entertained. I hope you're able to get out soon.
 
Wow, @otisbeagle ! I was just reading your thread and I gotta say, woooo hoooooo to you! I am so impressed that in the midst of such a challenging thing as hip replacement recovery, you are a mommy, too. And in the midst of fire evacuations! Geez Louise! So sorry that you hit the wall a bit. Hoping things begin to smooth out for you soon. And I totally agree about the creepy sensation of scar manipulation! Zings, and Zangs, and weird numbness. My scar is not quite 3 months old, and is still lumpy, bumpy, and roapy. So PT says I should lightly stretch across it and with mini half circles up and down the scar. Feels super weird.
 
@hiphoser Haha!! Zings and zangs to be sure!! I was just reading Dr. Seuss to my little guy, and those words sound very much like the good doctor!!

Thank you for reading, hiphoser!! I guess you’re over the hump now, though not over the lumps or bumps (I really can’t get Seuss out of my head right now). “Ropey” is the word. My C section scar was also creepy to touch, but it seemed thinner. A year later, it’s almost nonexistent—a good thing, or else I’d have a noticeable 90 degree bracket across my body!! I guess the hip scar isn’t all that bad, but it still reminds me of Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs. Creepathon!
 
My favorite recovery chart
[Bonesmart.org] New hip amidst fire evacuations!<

Early days...you'll be glad you have taken the time it needs to heal.

It does go up...eventually!
 
Last edited:
@otisbeagle Yes, I have made over several humps, and am slowly making it over another (ODIC membership due to PT), which makes me greatly appreciate @Mojo333 ’s recovery chart above. LoL. Humpety dumpety, on we go! I’ll think of you when I’m massaging my ZingyZangy scar.
 
Hi Peeps!!
Feeling much better today, though I’m super tired. I did much, much less yesterday, and I’m also taking it easy today—just a few modest walks and light exercises (and taking care of the baby). Right now the little guy is asleep, so I’m resting in bed with ice. Yeah!!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom