THR New hip amidst fire evacuations!<

Hi Everyone!!

Things are going pretty well here. Just started driving again (short distances), and I got a handicap placard so that I can drive right up to things. Ooh...the power! I’ve basically ditched walking aids, though I still limp and shimmy a bit side to side. While walking doesn’t really hurt my legs, my lower back feels kind of tired. My PT feels that my limp is much better, and isn’t worried about it. Endurance has increased, and we also practiced lifting my one year old and carrying him up the steps today. My last in-home PT session is this Wednesday, and then I’ll start outpatient PT next Monday.

My parents are here another ten days or so, and I’ll slowly increase my responsibilities so that I can take over 100% when they leave. It’s been stressful being so dependent on them, though I haven’t needed help with anything other than putting my compression socks on in quite awhile. I do not recommend surgery when you have a baby!!

Hope everyone here is doing well, and that you all had a wonderful and restorative Thanksgiving weekend!!
 
Hi :hi:
You're doing well! It's great your parents can spend time with you until you feel more confident on your own, especially with a baby.

Wondering what your PT's thoughts are on ditching all assistive devices while still limping? It's always recomended here that we use a walking aid until we're no longer limping. Consider asking your PT how he / she feels about heel-toe walking -

A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes.
It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Getting released to drive is a great step toward regaining your independence. Enjoy :driver:
Hope you have a nice week!
@otisbeagle
 
Thank you!! I do try to think of heel-toe as often as possible. My PT is very anti-cane—he’s correct that it makes me limp more—and he says I should use the walker as needed. It does seem a little different from the BoneSmart philosophy, but I do seem to limp a bit less everyday. If I weren’t improving, I would want to use the walker more. I do use it when I remember it, but my baby keeps stealing it, so it’s oftrn more of a hassle to go get it!! My PT also thought I might like a walking stick for when I am out of the house.
 
You are definitely a super hero in my book.
With the fire evacuation...Walker stealing baby...and the like.
My PT also thought I might like a walking stick for when I am out of the house.
This is a good idea. My dad had a "Moses stick" I used for a while.
 
Mojo333, I assure you am no super hero. Just a PMSy 42 year old with cabin fever!!

I am going to buy one of those walking sticks. Hope it will help balance me without forcing an awkward limp.

Have a wonderful day!!
 
Riding in the car for short distances shouldn't be a problem....it's a matter of whether you can tolerate it.
For the first few months I found it pretty miserable to be in the car for more than 30-40 minutes. I wanted out! I began using an ice pack that I'd place between me and the seat belt. I experienced posterior approach and the seat belt buckle landed in a place I found uncomfortable.
The ice helped, even if it only served as a distraction :shrug: not really sure, lol.
Hope your sweet baby's cellulitis is getting better.
A great rest of the week to you!
@otisbeagle
 
@Layla, thanks so much! It seemed like the cellulitis was gone, but the baby’s eye looked puffy again today, and he had a few weird rashes (even though he’s in antibiotics). I think it may be the whole milk we have started to give him. Despite inhaling yogurt and cheese with zero problems, he may have a milk allergy. So back to formula for a bit.

I drove again today, and it felt better than before. I think my issue is that my operative leg is very tight when bent. My PT thinks some fascia must be tight in the front of my thigh, because I can’t quite get my operative leg bent in a bridge position. We are currently working on increasing that range of motion, and I think it’s helping.

Today was the first time I actually watched the baby without anyone else around. Of course he had about four gazillion poops in a row!! Though it wasn’t easy, I was able to pick him up, carry him upstairs, etc... Now I just need to build my endurance. An hour’s worth of errands in the car exhausted me!!

Though I was sorta beat emotionally yesterday (PMS), I felt less anxious today.

Hope you all had a good Tuesday!!
 
That's an awful lot for you to have on your plate so early out.
Just because you can...doesn't mean you should, you know.
Hope you are able to take it easy today and don't let the PT overwork you either. It's not like you are sedentary...

And PMS:groan:
Sending hugs...and a flower:flwrysmile:
 
Mojo333, that’s great advice. I’ve been pretty good about not overdoing it. My parents are helping out quite a bit, so I don’t have to do everything myself.
But it definitely feels good to be doing some things again—like putting the baby to bed and driving.

Today my PT was unhappy when he saw my limp, so he gave me a few pointers—and suddenly I was walking with almost no limp whatsoever!! Though I couldn’t really lift my legs properly a few days ago, things have changed. Apparently, the limp was just muscle memory from the last year of right hip avoidance. Today was my last in-home PT. We walked a half mile unassisted (indoors), so that was very good progress. I actually like doing the assigned PT exercises, and I’m careful about overextending myself. Frankly, I’m accustomed to exercising a lot, so I am somewhat aware of the differences between pain, tension and awkwardness. Hmm...I’d like to start cycling on my stationary bike, but perhaps I should wait?? I’ll have a laundry list of questions at my ortho post-op on Friday, so I suppose I could ask him then.

Thank you for your concern.! It’s been quite a journey thus far, and I know there’s still a lot of work to do. But I think I may be over the really crappy part now!!
 
I'm so happy things are going well.
And resolving that limp:ok:

Hope the rest of your week is SWEET!
 
Wow, no rest for the weary over there! How did the post op appointment go today?
 
Swamphiker, my post op went very well. According to the surgeon, everything looks good. I asked a gazillion questions, and also requested a list of my new aftermarket parts (just in case I have an issue, or there is a recall).

Today I had my first outpatient PT, which seemed positive. We didn’t do terribly many exercises, but the PT did some massage, heat therapy, and light stretching to ascertain my range of motion. Nothing we did hurt, though the scar massage was pretty creepy feeling!! He said that my scar was a bit hard/bumpy/keloidy feeling, so I’m supposed to massage it lightly myself. Yick!!

Another thing the PT said was that I shouldn’t walk such great distances that my form falls apart. Hence, he felt that several shorter walks would probably be more beneficial than one long one. That makes sense to me, as I’ve been walking sloppily by the ends of my walks.

Everyday I’m a little stronger and a little more able to take care of the baby. Today I noticed that I’m walking upstairs quite well (downstairs is dicier), and my limp has lessened.

So, onward and upward!!
 
Last edited:
:yahoo:You sound great and so does your PT.
I think the shorter walks is definitely better as things are still in Healing Mode.
Onward:egypdance: and Upward indeed.
 
That sounds like a great report. I wonder how often the surgeons feel like they're being interrogated? I had questions I needed immediately answered so I asked them and then I asked for a copy of my surgical summary (has all parts and sizes and other cool technical things).

The PT approach sounds reasonable to me. I'm so glad you're feeling stronger every day. Taking care of you is priority #1 so that you can take care care of that precious walker stealing baby.

As for the scar massage, it really freaks me out when someone else touches it but I have no problem doing it myself.

I hope today is a great day!
 
Swamphiker, I’m sure these docs are accustomed to lengthy interrogations. From what I understand, they are only annoyed by amateur internet sleuths (what my microbiologist friend terms “YouTube science”). Since I am a humanities academic and most definitely not a medical doctor, I exhibit appropriate deference, and I find that they respond well. My mom, on the other hand, has a way of phrasing her questions as if she’s stating facts. This confuses the hell out of docs!!

Meanwhile, the baby has transitioned from stealing my walker (having reached its final resting place in the garage) to stealing absolutely everything that can be pushed across the floor. Chairs, toys and even the dog can apparently function as walkers!!
 
See I have entirely too much knowledge (not supplied by the internet) and that throws them off their game a little. Your mom sounds exactly like my mom.

Ohhh no, the baby is booby trapping you. All is fair when you're in the race to walk first! Your poor dog :doggie:
 
Swamphiker, that’s so funny. I only wish I had a little too much information. It’s a good thing my best friend is a microbiologist, because she gives me the Cliffs Notes to all things scientific and medical. And then there’s my husband, who had some medical training when he was 20 years old, and now believes he can converse with doctors on their level. Uhh, yeah. But my mom is substantially more embarrassing...
 
And for the record, I walked unassisted first!! The baby is a little speed demon with his walker, but it just hasn’t occurred to him to take a step without it. In the meantime, I’ll relax and not have to worry about him bonking his face (more than he already does).
 
Hi @otisbeagle
Good for you on walking unassisted first! :happydance:
Does that mean you get the day off and baby waits on you instead all day? :heehee:
I hope you have a great Wednesday and feel stronger week by week :)
 
Haha!! There are no days off with a little tyke!! My parents just left, so I’m on my own again with the kid. But I’m happy to return to life on my own terms.

Today I had my second PT session, and I am really responding well to the staff and exercises. It just feels empowering to activate my muscles again, and I think the massage/manipulation is helping. But ick!! I hate the feeling of scar manipulation!!

Everyday a little stronger. Now I can venture downstairs more normally, despite our rather steep staircase. Lifting the baby is almost better than it was before my operation, and I think I’m walking a bit better than before the operation (I could hardly walk a month ago, so it wouldn’t take much). For the first time in my life, my right foot points straight when I walk!! Though I didn’t understand why until recently, my right leg and hip always wanted to veer to the right—hip dysplasia rearing its ugly head. So relieved it’s finally straight. Still a lot of healing to be done, but I am encouraged by my results after just four weeks.

Hope everybody is doing well on this unusually rainy Wednesday (Southern California is generally more about forest fires than monsoons...).
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom