@Beejust I'm no expert, and have not made it through surgery yet so these are only my thoughts of the moment. It truly is a personal decision, and you're likely the best one to make the call, perhaps in consultation with family and your surgeon.
For me, a lot would depend on how much the hip affected life right now, and how much it would hamper participation and enjoyment of what can be a joyful time in the life of a family. I'd also factor in overall health, whether I'm likely to heal slowly or well, and whether the surgeon is likely to clear a flight to and from a wedding. Would you be able to enjoy the festivities more before surgery, or a few weeks post surgery? How does your son and fiancé feel about it?
In my case, the surgeon has been on target in his expectations for the elbow surgery (March 2022), and healing has been ahead of schedule. This gives an optimistic outlook for flying in August. He seems quite confident that we can take precautions against any post-op challenges, and that I'll be ready. That said, it would not be a wedding I'll miss if I have to cancel, so I'm willing to take the chance. (Due to COBRA running out by end of summer, I have time constraints on that end too.)
Best wishes as you sort through the decision, and in your upcoming surgery as well!
For me, a lot would depend on how much the hip affected life right now, and how much it would hamper participation and enjoyment of what can be a joyful time in the life of a family. I'd also factor in overall health, whether I'm likely to heal slowly or well, and whether the surgeon is likely to clear a flight to and from a wedding. Would you be able to enjoy the festivities more before surgery, or a few weeks post surgery? How does your son and fiancé feel about it?
In my case, the surgeon has been on target in his expectations for the elbow surgery (March 2022), and healing has been ahead of schedule. This gives an optimistic outlook for flying in August. He seems quite confident that we can take precautions against any post-op challenges, and that I'll be ready. That said, it would not be a wedding I'll miss if I have to cancel, so I'm willing to take the chance. (Due to COBRA running out by end of summer, I have time constraints on that end too.)
Best wishes as you sort through the decision, and in your upcoming surgery as well!
United States
