New here, hip surgery on July 10, and losing my job at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given your circumstances, I'm with those who vote for rehab in your case. They're set up to help you during the first, most difficult days and, unlike your boyfriend, can be counted on for caring
consistent assistance without drama. As you know, an unmedicated person who is bi-polar is highly volatile... Sounds like a toxic situation... I'd be wondering what I derive from being in it. Sorry for the bluntness... I wish you well & am sure you'll be happy with your new hip & improved life.
 
I heard from my surgeon and rehab can be organized even at the last minute, which is what I'll most likely be doing. And @shrinkette, yes, unmedicated bipolars, especially those in denial who are even more difficult to deal with, are extremely volatile and, as in my boyfriends's case, extremely selfish and self-abosorbed. I think he offered that I stay with him to make himself feel better about himself and prove that he isn't the horrible person he thinks he deep down he is, and seem more "normal". Perhaps he also does really want to help, he ordered a new box spring so the bed will be higher for me, a chair, a some stuff for the bathroom like a shower stool, even a walker...but his mood swings always get the upper hand. But I'm not here on BS to talk about bipolars...
So back to my poor hip!! Tomorrow is one week before surgery and I'm starting to get nervous. And now someone called me yesterday about a job...I have an appointment Monday. Incredible timing lol..
 
@GabsJL, sharing a valuable lesson I learned the hard way after Hurricane Katrina turned our world upside down....

Do you know how to eat an elephant?? One bite at a time.....
 
Good news about rehab! Sounds like your surgeon & his staff are going to be very helpful to you - what a blessing. And woo-hoo! A job interview! Even if you don't get it, or don't even want it at this time, that's got to be encouraging!!! We are all pulling for you through this. It won't be long before you are saying, "Laissez le bon temps rouler!"
 
Yes, I was very surprised that my surgeon, who is the head of orthopedics at the hospital, answered me so quickly. Normally, chief surgeons can be quite pretentious, especially here.
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement!! It really, really helps you have no idea!
 
@GabsJL a belated welcome to the forum and thanks to @Sue629 for alerting me to you!!! I have just read your thread from start to finish and I am so, so pleased that things are starting to work out for you. I will also vote for a rehab for you - I reckon you will find your recovery much easier and quicker than at your boyfriends place - apart from his issues you will probably find yourself to be a bit emotional at times especially early in your recovery.

And as Sue suggested I would love to be your hip buddy as my surgery is the day before yours and we can compare how each of us are doing. Another thing I noticed on your profile is that you were born the day before me!!!! Isn't that a coincidence!!!

You have received such wonderful advice from our terrific members here and I am sure that we are all rooting for you and thinking about you leading up to this life changing time of your life.

All the very best to you and I look forward to reading more about your lead up and recovery. We're all here for you!!!
 
:yay:Greetings @fulafoto and thanks for your nice post! Yes, @@Sue629 did mention you to me and that your were having your surgery 1 day before mine and I was going to contact you, but you beat me to it! So I will definitely be your hip Buddy, especially a fellow Scorpio. I've never had major surgery like this in my entire life and have only been in the hospital once or twice, so this is going to be quite an experience. I'm already very emotional so just I can certainly imagine what will happen later.

Everyone here is just wonderful and I just regret I had'nt signed up sooner!!

If this is your first hip replacement, like mine, I can only imagine how relieved we'll be to get rid of the unbearable pain. I know I can't take much more so next week is really just in time.

I see that you're in Australia, 8 hours ahead of Western Europe, but keep us all posted on how everything went on July 9 as soon as you're fit to write!! Very best of luck with everything and looking forward to your update!:type:
 
Hi again @GabsJL and thanks for your reply. Yes this is my first hip replacement and my third surgery on the hip, one to put 3 pins in and another to take them out but that was 40 years ago.
The emotions are totally expected; both feelings of real excitement and feelings of fear. The way I like to look at it is that really we have the easy part - all we have to do is turn up and the surgeon and his or her team have all the work to do. It is really important for us to have a positive attitude towards recovery and I will be here for you to help you along that road.
It will be the start of a new life for both of us leaving this horrid pain behind. I have been off work since December last year and have basically been non weight bearing since then. I use crutches full time and a wheelchair part time and from the most recent x-rays my dr has told me my hip has collapsed.
I will most certainly be posting in some manner or another as soon as I can and hopefully before you go in. In the mean time please feel free to ask any questions at all and vent your fears and frustrations on here!
Take care, Bill
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I haven't ben on here since last Friday, just too much to do with cleaning out my office and trying to get ready for the hospital.
Regarding a collpased hip, several people have mentioned that here and my doctor also said that might happen to me, but what happens exactly when your hip collapses? Do you feel something different when it happens, more pain, for example, or even more difficulty walking?
 
Hi again @GabsJL and please don't apologise - it is a busy time for sure!
As far as my hip being collapsed I am not entirely sure but looking at my X-Rays, the past ones against the most recent the femoral head is shorter and on a more acute angle which has the affect of shortening my leg even further. If it collapses totally I would think it would be similar to breaking off but that is only my thoughts and I have no medical training what-so-ever.
Not long to go now for either of us. Fingers crossed and take care xx
 
@GabsJL, wishing you much success in your hospital stay, recovery, and life! Peaceful dreams until your surgery time and will look forward to reading you "on the other side"! Wish it were me!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thinking of you, @GabsJL, and hoping your hospital experience is as wonderful as mine was! Looking forward to that first post-op report ...
 
Thank you all for your words of encouragement, it really helps ! I'm still at work today trying to finally get everything out of here and hopefully leave early enough to have some time to breathe this evening (with a glass of wine!) before I start getting my things togerther for the hospital tomorrow.
I must say I haven't really had time the past week or so to get too nervous because I was so stressed by the final days of work...so perhaps that's a good thing! I guess tonight I won't sleep much, if at all, but I really can't wait to get rid of this poor, tired old hip and be able to walk like a human again!
I don't know if I'll have time to post again tomorrow before the surgery Thursday, but I'll keep you posted on the outcome!!
Lots of hugs to everyone!!!:loveshwr::dancy::roseshwr:
 
Best wishes Gabs - we are thinking of you down here in OZ xx
 
Thank you @Poppet You got me just before my bedtime...getting woken up at 5:30am tomorrow ! I'll post in thé recovery section as soon as possible.


Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de BoneSmart Forum
 
Thing of you at @GabsJL....hoping that you are doing well. Lots of us thinking about you!! Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I saw that your surgery was July 10. Hope you are doing well, @GabsJL, thinking of you... Health first, and then you "ll sort all things out. Big hug.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom