New here, hip surgery on July 10, and losing my job at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with @frieds regarding the TEDS. I wore them about 10 days after my first surgery, but only at night since I was moving around every few hours during the day and doing my foot pumps to keep the blood flowing when sitting down. After the second surgery, I literally wore them 2 nights and tossed them! I couldn't stand the things. I was taking aspirin to thin the blood anyway, and even those for only 3 weeks.
 
:heehee::heehee:Yeah if your taking an anti-coagulant I don't see why the horror hose would add any further benefit, but as I said I'll try them in the beginning and if they're too hot or binding, down the garbage chute!
 
TEDS are in my protocol for 6 weeks, 24/7. Mine are thigh-high, and I have 2 pair so change/wash them every few days. So far my PT or home nurse have changed them for me, as I live alone. Since I am still icing my leg a lot, that keeps me cooled down. I don't find them too uncomfortable, except the first few days when the swelling was significant. I iced not only the incision area, but also my lower leg, which helped with residual swelling in that area and thus the comfort level. The nurse taught me to put them on inside out, as the elastic is less binding that way. Powder your foot & lower leg, stretch them out, and once you get them over the heel, you can work them up your leg pretty easily. The TEDS on the operative side still has to be rolled below the incision 10 days post-op.

Regarding your being alone during the day - is there a neighbor or schoolgirl in the area who could stop by once a day for a small fee? You will tire quite easily, and having someone who can just swish through the apartment to do a quick pick-up, help with anything you can't do, pick up something at the store, or just give you the reassurance that if you DO need something, someone will be there - I would find that valuable and reassuring. If your BF is a little OCD, and you are already going to have a walker, cane, reacher, pillows, ice bag, water bottle, etc at hand, it might relieve your stress to have someone to help you tidy up before he gets home.

As for your job ... look at it this way, you are starting a new life. New hip, no pain, you'll have time to recover without feeling the pressure to return to an existing job before you are ready, think about what you want to do and maybe take this opportunity to take a slightly different direction in life.
 
Very sound advice, but I'm having serious doubts about going to my boyfriend's house after all. Today, he offered to help me move a couple of cartons from my office (some personal stuff) to a storage facility with his brother, who has the car, and he's already being mean in a text just because I asked him if they could pick me up (since I can barely walk and taking the subway is a nightmare with all the stairs), on the way. and it really is on the way to my office. He said "it's already nice of them to offer to help, so I shouldn't push it...". A couple days ago he asked me himself if I wanted them to pick me up. Jesus, I was practically in tears when I read that text... So, yes I did take the subway and now I'm here at the my office for the past hour waiting, and they're now coming only around noon, in another hour.

I was trying to stay away from having to go to a rehab center, but frankly I doubt if anyone would be so unpleasant to me there. I only have a little over a week to organize it, so Monday I'll try to contact the surgeon. If it's too late, well I don't know...

I ordered 2 pairs of thigh-high TEDs yesterday at the pharmacy, so I'll see how it goes with putting them on and who can help me. If I'm at a rehab center, there will be someone to help me put them on. If I don't get into a rehab center, perhaps a nurse or an aid of some sort.

At this point, I'm not really thinking that much about my job, although on my last day (next Friday or the following Tuesday), it will certainly hit me.

:flabber:I'm really not in great spirits today. Thanks again for all your responses.
 
@GabsJL , it's all very daunting - surgery and the thought of recovery. But I found it was much easier than I imagined. I stayed alone all day from day 1 home. You will be mobile before you leave hospital. In fact they won't discharge you until you are moving around on your own - including up and down stairs.

And I wasn't working when I had my LTHR. Even the thought of going to an interview set me to tears. You will be surprised how much energy and enthusiasm returns once you are no longer dealing with that pain. One step at a time.
 
:cry:Absolutely, the entire situation is very daunting and I'm surprised that I'm still able to function more less noramlly with all that's going on lol!
It's encouraging to hear that you were home alone from the very first day.
I am so looking forward to not being in pain anymore! Life will certainly seem cheerier being able to walk again. I just hope I remeber how to walk normally after all these months of limping...but I can it's a reflex that returns automatically.
 
I just hope I remeber how to walk normally after all these months of limping
Limping can become a habit. But PT will help you with this. The important thing is to keep using any walking aides (crutch or walker) as long as you need them. Even after you start walking unassisted, you may need a cane or one crutch when you get tired. That way you break the limping habit.
 
I bought a cane already, actually 2 canes, and I'll have a walker and crutches too by next week. I never used them because my deformed elbow hurts when I put a bit of weight on it. The Walker sounds like the best option, at least in the beginning.
 
Welcome @GabsJL - we are all different as to which walking aide we preferred and used. I found my walker to be absolutely fantastic for me. It was an old friend really, as I had used it for 18 months prior to surgery. The benefit I found was that it helped with my gait and gave me much more confidence that the elbow crutches I also had. :)
 
I think it is less stressful to be alone and muddle your way through than to be with someone who you THINK is going to help you and they end up resenting you or causing more stress. Frankly, he sounds like he's got some power/control issues. Your surgeon/hospital is probably able to make last-minute arrangments for rehab (either in-patient or at-home), so that might be your best bet. They are professionals, they know what you need and are equipped to help you get going on the right track.
 
So agree with PA Gal...so much better to be in charge of your own destiny than rely on someone who doesn't come up to the mark....it must be daunting, but there is a lot of help out there that you can depend on. Thinking of you. Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
It is hard to NOT stress as it is all we think about, but soon it will be over and you will think to yourself...."Why did I worry so much." It will be a piece of cake and you will be better soon. It will be awkward at first, but you will be able to get around....I would say even better than you are now even after just having surgery!!! Lots of good advice on here and you will be just fine!! Probably best you be at your own place and make a "nest" you can relax and sleep and the healing will be just fine. Don't forget the ice and pain meds and life will be good!!! Keep your chin up and try to not worry so much dear.....you'll do GREAT!!!!!
 
Thank you all for your excellent advice! It's hard to remain calm with so much going on. My boyfriend is bipolar that is why he is so changeable. And yes, as a lot of bipolars, he needs to control everything and even the slightest change of plans is a major catastrophe for him. The worst part, is that he is unmedicated so it's really a roller coaster ride with him. However, on the other hand, he is a very kind person when he's not having an episode. I won't bore you all with the détails of this but I'm sure you're all wondering why I even agreed to go to his apartment. I don't even have a bed in apartment, I sleep on a futon on the floor. this is not going to work after surgery. also, I thought going to his place would be better than going to rehab or a hotel, but now I'm not so sure.
Anyway, as you say @Plumberbutt (great name!), I'm sur I'll be feeling better as soon as I get rid of this horrible hip and wonder why I freaked out so much before.
Just a little over a week now, I'm really scared but also looking forward to feeling better!
 
@GabsJL, you need to make other arrangements for your recovery and avoid staying at your boyfriend's apartment while you need to be concentrating on healing and rehab. He has his own set of issues that really don't have much to do with you and you don't need the added stress of wondering if/when he will "go off" next. This is none of my business at all but as one of many posters on this forum who are looking out for YOUR best interests, my advice to you is to line up a room at a rehab facility where folks there can attend to you as needed. You'll be in much better shape, physically, mentally, emotionally, once your healing has begun, more able to deal with your job situation and that boyfriend! I write this with the best of intentions and lots of good wishes for your health and happiness.
Really.
 
Thanks a lot @beachgal you're absolutely right. I have thought about all of this myself, but it's good to have someone else's opinion as well. I asked my boyfriend more than once what he thinks is going to happen when he goes off over some insignificant thing and I'm going to be in his flat with nowhere to go. He says "don't worry..it'll be OK..." but I've heard that before. He's in denial about how severe his reactions can be.
I'm going to contact my surgeon tomorrow to ask about rehab.
Strangely enough I'm getting calmer about the surgery but we'll see what state I'm in next week!
 
If you need a bed for your apartment, buy an inexpensive (even used) bed frame and a decent mattress. It will be a good investment, even if you end up selling it later to go back to your futon. Without a decent resting place, your recovery will be hampered and you will be a lot more uncomfortable.
 
@GabsJL :welome:Wanted to say hello and Welcome to BS. Great place as you found already to vent and discuss whatever is making u worry or is on your mind. I am 8 weeks out from posterior approach and I'm on a cane but doing so well. My goal at PT is to walk without limping, ans]d since I limped for 6 years, its a process. But I will get there. I can already see it during my walk tonight around neighborhood very lil sometimes none at all. A positive attitude will be so helpful. I have had a great recovery and truly the worst part was the wait time prior to 4/30. So, with al that said, best of luck on the 10th, my good friend @fulafoto is on the 9th maybe you can lean on each other through your recovery. It is sooo very helpful to have people around u who understand. All my best, and can't wait to welcome u to the other side :) ....Sue:flwrysmile:
 
Similar to PA Gal’s suggestion, you could also consider renting a hospital bed for a few weeks. My wife did that for me while I was still in the hospital and, after we obtained a prescription from my doctor, our medical insurance paid the bulk of the cost. Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery!
 
:thankyou:I wish I could give all of you a giant hug for all your kindness and good advice! So it will have to be a virtual hug lol!

I go from calm to stressed to depressed all in one day. Today, is another bad day because I have to go to a lab to have a blood test since I'm having EPO injections because I'm slightly anemic (thanks rheumatoid arthritis!). And walking anywhere is a major struggle... Also, tomorrow another lab test...this is all getting very exhausting... Thursday is my "pre-termination" interview (legal requirement for economic employment termination in France) with the Human Resources manager, so I can't miss that either.
I think it's a bit late to buy a bed or even rent one because I would have to make room in my apartment and I'm still working full time until next Tuesday. Wednesday I check into the hospital. I would need help and there's just so little time left and and really no one to assist.
In the US most apartments, even studios, are so much bigger than here. My studio is barely 18m2 (about 180 sq. feet), not even the size of most American bedrooms.
Staying at home is not an option at this point, so I'll see what the surgeon says about rehab.
Some of you say you have been limping for years and years. That must have been horrible... I've been limping for less than a year, but it seems like a decade. That is one of the major points I hope will be resolved after surgery...
BS has really saved my sanity...thank you all so much!!!:yay::roseshwr:
 
@GabsJL, So glad you are feeling better because of the Bonesmart site, and I must say that you are inspiring and strengthening me and many other people with your courage and fortitude during this immensely challenging time. If I were looking for someone to employ in Paris, you would rise to the top of the list! Keep strong and know that you have friends who care!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom