TKR New brand new Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
They said "you will have to work hard still PT after replacement."
I thought that I would have to work hard---until my PT's and Bonesmart taught me otherwise---I was one of the few that actually had PT's that held me back!

or reaching goals set by the medical staff or you are a failure.
It is a shame that some folks take this approach. Not everybody heals the same way or in the same time frame. We all heal differently. The "cooky-cutter "approach just does not work.

I'm disappointed in myself because I feel like I wanted/needed the knee replacement so bad that I wasn't asking or even thinking of questions.
Please do not be disappointed in yourself---you are in the exact same boat that I was---and many others---very few of us asked the right questions, and, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.
 
I thought that I would have to work hard---until my PT's and Bonesmart taught me otherwise---I was one of the few that actually had PT's that held me back!


It is a shame that some folks take this approach. Not everybody heals the same way or in the same time frame. We all heal differently. The "cooky-cutter "approach just does not work.


Please do not be disappointed in yourself---you are in the exact same boat that I was---and many others---very few of us asked the right questions, and, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

But isn't it sad that people go into this being told fairy tales? Maybe on those class nights I'll stand outside the hospital and spread some truth around.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Boy,I just finished reading your thread, and I could not believe what kind of OS is. I thought mine was demanding by asking me to reach 120 by the 6th weeks; but even then he did not mention about MUA. Like many friends on this site have proofed each one heal differently, and ROM can be improved after one year. When I left the hospital, my ROM was 90, and did not increase to 110 until the 5th weeks. According to my PT, my record is pretty good in comparison with many patients she see here ( I got my operation 500 miles away). Do not get disappointed. I tried make few movements but more frequent ( like one or two hours). This approach worked for me. I also had all kinds of pain from different parts of the leg. I think this is part of the healing process. How is your walking? Can you walk without a can?
 
This approach worked for me. I also had all kinds of pain from different parts of the leg. I think this is part of the healing process.
As the knee heals and everything knits back together again, theire come all kinds of aches and pains that tend to migrate around and then disappear.
 
Boy,I just finished reading your thread, and I could not believe what kind of OS is. I thought mine was demanding by asking me to reach 120 by the 6th weeks; but even then he did not mention about MUA. Like many friends on this site have proofed each one heal differently, and ROM can be improved after one year. When I left the hospital, my ROM was 90, and did not increase to 110 until the 5th weeks. According to my PT, my record is pretty good in comparison with many patients she see here ( I got my operation 500 miles away). Do not get disappointed. I tried make few movements but more frequent ( like one or two hours). This approach worked for me. I also had all kinds of pain from different parts of the leg. I think this is part of the healing process. How is your walking? Can you walk without a can?

I was walking without any assistive device all last week. But on Monday , this week was told to use it indoors and out and pay attention to heal-toe and bending knee and posture. She said my gait it very bad and needs to be unlearned. My husband says I walk like a weeble , or a sailor. So although it's just one more thing to think about I'm trying to correct it too.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I'm getting a massage on Sunday. I've been looking forward to it all week. Last week she made me feel pain free for hours. I wish insurance paid for it and doctors would believe in it. I really think it's better than pain pills.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
ut on Monday , this week was told to use it indoors and out and pay attention to heal-toe and bending knee and posture. She said my gait it very bad and needs to be unlearned.
This is common. I had the same problem, and had to do all kinds of gait activities at PT.

"Mechanics is muscle memory." Once you unlearn and reteach your legs how to walk, you will be all set. It feels weird, but it will all work out.
 
What you're experiencing is all part of a normal recovery! I also hate that some doctors don't explain this to patients, but I guess that's why BoneSmart is here!

You are still very early in this process. It's gonna take some time. There is no rush and you must let your body heal on it's terms. It's a positive thing to continue to use a walker or crutches so that you can practice a proper gait. After all, the goal is to have normal movement again with that fabulous new knee. If you've spent years compensating for a painful knee, it's no wonder that your body has learned to walk like a Weeble.

My suggestion would be to practice your gait at home for short periods of time a couple of times each day. Use your walker and go very slowly as you walk. While you walk consciously think about putting your heel down first and rolling your foot forward toward your toes as you push off with the back foot. Heck, it's even okay to talk to yourself during this process and say, "Heel, roll-to-toe; heel, roll-to-toe" Practice and it will soon get easier. Then you can work on stretching out your stride so that you're taking long steps instead of Weeble short ones. Honestly, the walker is the best way to do this. It gives you support so you can concentrate on the gait and not worry about your balance. Give this a try for a few weeks and I bet you'll be amazed at your progess.
 
Heck, it's even okay to talk to yourself during this process and say, "Heel, roll-to-toe; heel, roll-to-toe"
I have to talk to myself---I am the only one that will listen!

Honestly, the walker is the best way to do this. It gives you support so you can concentrate on the gait and not worry about your balance.
Jamie makes an excellent point here---while we want to get off of the walking aids ASAP, it is imperative that we use them to get back to a quality stride and gait. Once the gait is back to normal, then the aid can be weened away.
 
Tomorrow is 34 days since my tkr. I am having more good days than bad, although I still have some strange pains and swelling if I do too much. I've learned the elevate and ice song and have set up my ice machine next to my bed and refill it once a day. Then, when I'm a little to ambitious or stupid, I can just retire to the bedroom, elevate, ice and read for a while.

Tomorrow, is a big day for me because I plan to sit in in my car and pretend to drive. I've asked my husband to drive me somewhere fairly deserted and let me try. I'm also going to cut back on pain meds a bit, in order to drive. Hopefully THAT won't backfire on me too much. Although my a Rx has been cut back so far I hoard them for bedtime. I still think my rockstar OS is a horse's butt who has been pushing for ROM numbers too quickly, but I'm getting just crabby enough to not care much about his disappointment. I've been at 80-85 degrees of flexion for more than a week and I'm done allowing PT to push for better numbers. I keep wanting to ask if they win a free trip to Hawaii if I make it to 110.
Anyway, I live in an area unserved by public transportation, and I have three upcoming dr's apps. So driving there myself would be huge. I'm still kind of hoping to get help getting to PT so I can take a little something for pain, but if need be I will tough it out and ice like crazy.

I have a tortuous hinged brace to wear three times a day, although it's miserable enough where I've only ever done it once a day. I don't really see that it does anything more than bruise my entire leg and make me snarl at my family. And I hurt so much after I have to ice for hours and take the max in pills.

I've been reading some of the orthopedic journal articles that seem to indicate the vast majority of patients who were really screwed up with little or no ROM, have the lowest return from the surgery. I already am better than I was. I'm not giving up, I'm hoping to do better, but I am no longer concerned with my OS expectations or statistics.

So, bottom line. Glad I have a new knee, not pleased with a lot I have experienced and don't fell I was prepared for, but moving forward. Wish me luck with my new goals.

Terri


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I think you're getting just the RIGHT attitude!!! You're going to get there, hon.....just give yourself plenty of time and try not to worry about it.
 
Thanks. I've felt pretty negative but somehow I feel like I turned a corner. I might still wilt in the face of authority.. But it have plans to be tough.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I have three upcoming dr's apps

After my right TKR, I was driving at 3 weeks and a few days to go to my PT appointments.

Here was my routine:
I would take the very first appointment of the morning and take Tylenol instead of rx meds.
Also, before I left home, I'd use a handheld shower massage to warm up the muscles and the tissues and help with stiffness and pain. Then once home, I'd ice and take rx meds.

And of course, driving home, I'd stop and reward myself at the coffee drive thru with my favorite drink. :yes:
 
After my right TKR, I was driving at 3 weeks and a few days to go to my PT appointments.

Here was my routine:
I would take the very first appointment of the morning and take Tylenol instead of rx meds.
Also, before I left home, I'd use a handheld shower massage to warm up the muscles and the tissues and help with stiffness and pain. Then once home, I'd ice and take rx meds.

And of course, driving home, I'd stop and reward myself at the coffee drive thru with my favorite drink. :yes:


Bless you for that Elisa, I've been trying to work it out in my head and your experience makes it sound doable. My husband thinks I should wait for one of the doctors to give me permission but I'm so disgusted with all of them that's the last thing I want to do. I will be co-opting your strategy this week.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
When driving before you have been released by your physician to drive -- be sure you are aware of the fact that you car insurance (or the other guy's) might refuse coverage if you are in an accident and you are driving against doctor's orders.

Also in many states or maybe all, it's against the law to drive with narcotics in your system, prescription or not.
 
Terri, it is wonderful that you are taking charge of your recovery and not being pushed to pain and unrealistic expectations. If your knee was really bad for a long time, it will take longer to get the muscles and tendons to stretch and relearn that it can do more - it is just common sense. The surgery replaces the knee joint but stresses out all the muscles and tendons and soft tissue.

Saying that it is good to take charge - please evaluate wisely driving - are you in a very quiet area or lots of traffice, how far are the distances to PT or doctor's appts. There is the issue of insurance coverage if not released but also consider if you can quickly enough hit the brakes hard enough if needed. The driving part is easy and parking and slowing down as needed but test out the emergency situations since they can come up at any time. For me, I drove with the left knee at 4wks but I only had to go 12m and that was quite tiring by the time I got done with PT. With the right I did not drive till 8wks- frankly did not try- wanted to make sure I was really able to stop suddenly without an issue for anyone or myself and my knee. These are hard decisions but just take the time to evaluate fully and make sure you stay safe.

Keep us posted how are are doing and keep your resolve. Remember, sometimes you do not have to do much or explain yourself besides saying No or just ignoring what they say and do what your knee dictates.

Lee
 
Terri, it is wonderful that you are taking charge of your recovery and not being pushed to pain and unrealistic expectations. If your knee was really bad for a long time, it will take longer to get the muscles and tendons to stretch and relearn that it can do more - it is just common sense. The surgery replaces the knee joint but stresses out all the muscles and tendons and soft tissue.

Saying that it is good to take charge - please evaluate wisely driving - are you in a very quiet area or lots of traffice, how far are the distances to PT or doctor's appts. There is the issue of insurance coverage if not released but also consider if you can quickly enough hit the brakes hard enough if needed. The driving part is easy and parking and slowing down as needed but test out the emergency situations since they can come up at any time. For me, I drove with the left knee at 4wks but I only had to go 12m and that was quite tiring by the time I got done with PT. With the right I did not drive till 8wks- frankly did not try- wanted to make sure I was really able to stop suddenly without an issue for anyone or myself and my knee. These are hard decisions but just take the time to evaluate fully and make sure you stay safe.

Keep us posted how are are doing and keep your resolve. Remember, sometimes you do not have to do much or explain yourself besides saying No or just ignoring what they say and do what your knee dictates.

Lee

I know you are right. I do think I will just try it out today to see how it goes. The rehab facility is about 2 miles away, and the doctors office about half that.
I started the day without pain meds, just Tylenol but took the valium as usual. I don't know why, but the valium has made me feel terribly dizzy and tired. It makes me wonder if the plethora of drugs I've been taking have actually made me feel worse than if I took nothing. I won't be able to test that until the valium wears off and I do some of the exercises and wear the brace. Starting to think I'd rather have a gin and tonic in the evening and toss the pills in the community incinerator. I think the most beneficial thing I've got us the ice machine. Well worth the $60.00 I got it for on ebay.
Good day to everyone.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
The need to adhere to the rules of the road and to drive safely go without saying.

Drs tend "not to release a person to drive" but rather to say when you can drive without pain medication then you can drive and leave it to the patient for adherence.

Not sure where Valium fits in the medication spectrum but it does sound like cutting back on it will be best, at least while healing and driving. Hopefully, your dizziness will subside as it must be hard to be dizzy aaaaannnd healing a knee.

Two thumbs up for ice; and let us know how you do!
 
My OS has been very clear that I am not allowed to drive until he releases me to do so. It's also in the handouts they give you, along with the reminder about it being illegal to drive with narcotics in your system, and the warning that your insurance may not cover if you are driving before you surgeon releases you to do so.

Bummer. I'm so tired of being cooped up and mooching rides to the grocery store.
 
Well, other than taking 1 pain pill at bedtime, because apparently just stopping abruptly is not good, I'm relying on extra strength Tylenol. I took a walk today. Just about 3 blocks so no cause for applause. Made my dog happy though. I stopped the valium after yesterday mornings left me wobbly. I will be seeing my primary care doc this Wednesday. I have no way to get there unless I want to call a cab ($60. Round trip with the copay) so drug free I'm planning on driving. It's not far, I think 4 miles and all 25 mph- no highway. I'm hoping for it. Hopefully she can approve the driving.



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom