TKR New brand new Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds to me like your pain is undermedicated. You should have a firm and serious talk with your doc about pain control. There is just no point in suffering when you don't have to. You need more pain medication. Talk to your OS and primary care doc and make them understand how much pain you are still in.
 
The docs need to be better about recognizing that the need for pain meds depends on the individual recovery. :(
 
Just had PT. I usually feel pretty good right after and today's no exception. At the end of the session today the therapist applied heat instead of ice. First time I've had that. It felt really good.
Should I quit the ice and do heat when I have pain now?
 
Hmmm, heat? Never had heat applied after PT, only ice. I thought heat could make the swelling worse, but will let Josephine address this. I'm 10 weeks out now and still go to PT 2x/week and still ice everyday after my home exercises. The only time I was told to use heat was to the back of my knee to help loosen up those tendons because my extension was pretty bad.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
 
I sometimes used heat on my leg muscles but always ice right around and on the knee.
 
Personally I do not think the norco 5 mg are strong enough to get you through 12 hours . I am not crazy about the Norco .
 
The Norco worked ok at the higher strength, I think it was 7.5 hydro. But now that the strength is lower and duration is longer it's a problem. I've cheated and taken a second Norco after 8 hours (rather than 12) when the pain didn't go away.
I absolutely understand that the doctor wants me weaned off all narcotics by 9weeks. But that doesn't take into consideration that I haven't done any kind of exercise for over a year and the work I'm doing to strengthen my knee in PT leaves me really in pain. My non -surgical knee has been swelling as much as the new knee and I can't get it done while I'm still rehabbing the replaced knee.
I do have an appt. to see a rheumatologist who might have some ideas to help with the pain.
 
The norco 5 /325 seems to be the does the Drs will continue to give me . Yes , the higher dose works best. That is horrible that both your knees are swelling . The swelling causes pain . Why can't the Drs get it right ?
 
Thats too bad! Your knee was cut open, bone cut off , metal components pounded in , soft tissue lacerated and your ridiculous OS is under medicating you , after threatening you with a MUA after 3 weeks!! Please tell me this joker is working OUT of the san Francisco bay area! I believe you are about 10 to 12 weeks out. Relatively early on. Get your medication situated by either your OS or your primary! Than light PT and proper elavation and ICEING. There is a right and wrong way to do all 3. Did you read the mantas on the proper way to do that ? Just trying to help . Im Sorry if it comes off alittle insensitive . Best of luck
 
Not in Cali, in Illinois. In three days I will be 9 weeks post-op. I'm starting to wonder if the aching I'm feeling is a fibromyalgia flare. Most of the PT I do is stretching with just some slow squats for ROM. But lately I haven't had my regular PT Therapist and the guy I have had has me doing things like leg curls on the machine. It doesn't hurt during, only after. I figured at 9 weeks it was what I should be doing. He should know,,right? But now my legs haven't stopped aching. Sometimes I get a fibro flare from doing something "strenuous".
As far as the meds are concerned, it makes sense to lessen them over time so I don't become dependent. In a pinch I have a stash of pain meds from before surgery. I'm not a fan of suffering.
Almost the new year. My resolution is to Quit Whining!
 
Yeah, I'd watch out for those more intense exercises. You don't want to give yourself tendonitis along with a fibro flare. As you know with fibro, you often have to pace yourself and you don't "pay" for overdoing until a day or two afterward.
 
It seems a little early to be doing strengthening. You are still in the healing phase and doing strengthening will cause more pain. 9wks is not that much on this kind of surgery. Your knee is still a baby and needs TLC as do you. This is not a fast recovery but you will heal and recover -listen to the knee. :console2::flwrysmile:
 
Im in cali thats why I asked if he was OUT of the bay area. As in out of the state. :-) as for worrying about being dependant on drugs its a possibility but unlikely especially if you are in pain. I had problems in my late teens and early 20s with drugs that nearly killed me and took freedom from me, I have over 20 years of sobriety now and have absolutely no concern of abusing my prescribed meds. I also want to make sure im heavily medicated for atleast the first 6 weeks. Yeah at 9 weeks your soft tissue is trying to recover and is not happy. As some say, before you know it ,the pain WILL subside and your rom will improve greatly. Just be patient and take it slow. We are here for you.
 
Today is 9 weeks post op. No pain.. AT ALL for the last two days. No pain meds needed. Had PT today and rode the bike for 5 minutes!! Went all the way around, even though it meant I had to hike up my hip a teensy bit in order to do so. At the end of the 5 minutes wasn't hardly even doing that.
I think I can safely say getting my knee replaced may not have been stupid after all.
Best part of course is that 6 hours after PT, still no pain or muscle cramps.
Yay!!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] New brand new Knee
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] New brand new Knee
bottomshollow
 
@tmwillia Hooray ! This sounds wonderful . Sorry to be envious . Though I truly am so thrilled for you .

I get it. I feel a little resentful when I read the remarks from the all-stars who had 120 degrees of flex at 3 weeks and no pain.
I will try to dial down my enthusiasm. Hope you are doing well today.
 
@tmwillia Do not turn down your enthusiasm. It is so exciting to hear you had no pain and made the bike go all the way around . Hearing such positive reports gives the rest of us hope . I will be your cheerleader . There are so many fantastic cheerleaders on this site .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom