Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

I can swim anytime Chris. I just want all the workers to be done before they catch me outside in my bikini!! :yikes:
The water is 80 degrees, heated only by the sun. We have a heater but have not turned it in yet. I plan to be in the pool on Mother's Day.
 
:swim:How is the water?

Hi Chris, thanks for asking but I've not much to report. I've been in the water up to my knees. The sun warmed it to 82 degrees on Mother's Day Sunday...but still a bit cold me me. The heater was not activated yet and will not be until tomorrow (Thursday 5/15). The pool is done, but also tomorrow the pool decking will be finished up with texture and color. Sunday will be the day to warm the water and get in at last!

So while I am here I can tell you that today I reached 118 degrees ROM. That is the first ever for 118. I am progressing at a snails pace but as long as I don't go backwards and move forward albeit slow than I am happy with that.

We had an event at the store last night where a lot of doctors were invited in after hours. I was representing the brand Asics. My surgeons PA came and I got to visit with her for a good bit. They have given me their permission and blessing to walk the 1/2 marathon in January. We talked about different shoes that I might wear. Also in last night was my Podiatrist which I had not seen in over 4 years. She recognized me right off. We had a great time catching up. She and my PA I can talk to as though we are long time good friends. With my revision, my extra large spacer made my TKR leg longer than my good leg. I've been wearing since January an over the counter gel heel pad in my left shoe. It helps but does not make my legs even so I am going to see my Podiatrist about something more professionally made to address my new leg length difference. I've got 3 long work days ahead of me the next 3 days, so Sunday will be pool day. I'll post a couple of pics next.

How is your recovery going @Pumpkln ? I am not even going to ask what your ROM is because I bet it is better than mine. I am pain free though so that is most important now, but I'll get there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the report, 82 degrees is too chilly for swimming. Looking forward to photos of your swim in the warm water!
Sounds like it is going to take a while, but your ROM will be where you want it eventually.

I am not even going to ask what your ROM is because I bet it is better than mine.
Nope, yours is better, mine is around 105, I still have tons of swelling, and one very hot knee. I re read my op report, they did a lot while they were in there, tons of scar tissue had to come out, and now all of that has to heal. I am learning to be very patient, and am spending tons of time elevating and icing.
I have a question about Asics, I know they are good for pes cavus feet, my concern is I shear through my left heel (towards the outside of the shoe) when I walk and am concerned about the shearing moving through the jel in Asics, is this a legitimate concern or should I give them a try?
I was able to use my Exercycle just 10 revolutions, with the pedals at 145cm. Felt good, going to use it every other day, increasing revolutions slowly to my knees tolerance.
I have spacer one size larger than before, too early to check the leg length, can't really tell with all the swelling, and partial weight bearing. Maybe they are even.

Your store event sounds like it went well, and you get to walk the half marathon in January :yes!:.
Happy :swim:when the water is warmer!
 
Ok, here are some pool pics. The pool has a LED light that randomly changes colors, so the water is ever changing during the evening as you can see (if we set it to do that). But I have some daytime pics that show the actual color of the water on a sunny day! The last two pictures show my Border Collie Lucy standing by the pool after dark and my Miniature Dachshund Gracie laying on her new patio poolside bed! Life is good!
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
@Pumpkln, I can tell you that we had at least 30 Podiatrists in the store last night. Brands represented were Asics, Brooks, Saucony, New Balance, Adidas, and Hoka. Like I said, I was representing Asics. Every doctor had a card that we would sign off on after they spoke with each brand rep. They made sure that they talked to all of us because once everything was checked off on their card they were given any pair of running shoes of their choosing free of charge. So I know that I talked to all 30 + of these doctors. An overwhelming vast majority of them told me that 'they' wear Asics and they refer their patients to the Asics brand. They are tried and true, they've not messed around with jumping on the minimal band wagon. They've stayed the course and as a result are revered in the medical profession. Out of my 24 marathons that I ran probably 22 of those marathons were run in Asics. I have 30 pair of Asics in my closet...(I own a lot of shoes!) so yes give them a try Chris, that Gel will hold up to anything that you've got to give it! For people who pronate (roll to the inside) the Asics Kayano is the top of the line. Stability, cushioning and cut gender specific for women. For those who do NOT pronate, who are neutral or might supinate (walk on the outside of their feet) then the top shoe for them is the Asics Nimbus, also cut gender specific, supportive and very cushioned. Asics are excellent. Surprising, a number of doctors said last night..."I used to wear, or I used to recommend New Balance, but no longer like what they have done with their shoes. shoes." After my revision, the Asics Kayano was what I wore everyday, it's what I felt most comfortable in.

Did I ever show you the picture of my closet? Before my shoes were organized when I first moved into my new house, then once on shoe racks!!


[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Asics Nimbus
This sounds like the one for me, I walk on the outside of my left foot.
I have never been able to find a comfortable New Balance, and after Saucony changed shoe designers about 15 years ago, I can no longer wear their shoes. I have been able to wear Avia's but find their quality control to be very poor. I had a pair of Brooks split last running shoes a long time ago, but Brooks no longer works for me.
Thanks,
I will give the Nimbus a try.
If I could I would have rated your post both informative:idea:, and funny:heehee:
 
Wow Bonnie, so good to finally hear from you and that you have no knee pain!! That is great!! Don,t worry your ROM will get better with time. Sorry to hear your leg is longer because of the extra wide spacer, I have the very wide spacer like yours, but because my OS had to trim back my tibia, (because the bone was soft) my legs are not different length. My surgery was over 4 hrs long, cause they had to do so much extra work on the tibia.

Your pool looks fabulous, Enjoy!!
 
@Oldie...sorry it took me so long to check in. It seems like I have very little time these days. Between work, Physical Therapy, keeping the house and with all this pool building it seems I am always out walking the dogs because for about one month a portion of our gate/fence has been taken down so I can't let the dogs into the back yard. Tuesday was a 10 hour day at work which included the night with the doctors. Today was a 9.5 hour day at work tomorrow will be the same 9.5 hours again, then another 5 hours on Saturday...then I'll be off Sunday and Monday, whew!!

My leg length difference bothered me greatly in the beginning, I've gotten somewhat used to it now. If I wear flip flops (which is not that often) it bothers me. I have to have this gel pad under my heel in my running shoes or I feel off...because I am off! As a result, too much time on my feet makes my left hip ache (the shorter leg). I thought I'd see if my podiatrist can make me something the perfect height to put in my left shoe.
 
I'm glad you're seeing your podiatrist to get this taken care of. I think you'll be happy with the result and it will be better for your body's alignment. I absolutely LOVE your new pool!!! Looks like the puppies do too. They will be great lifeguards for you.

I have always been told to wear New Balance shoes because I have a tendency to pronate. Do your Asics have shoes that give enough support to help with this?
 
I'm glad you're seeing your podiatrist to get this taken care of. I think you'll be happy with the result and it will be better for your body's alignment. I absolutely LOVE your new pool!!! Looks like the puppies do too. They will be great lifeguards for you.

I have always been told to wear New Balance shoes because I have a tendency to pronate. Do your Asics have shoes that give enough support to help with this?

Absolutely @Jamie! Shoes have evolved and changed over the years. Nearly every brand has models for pronation, you do not need to limit yourself to one brand. Every foot has a brand that their like best. Every brand has a higher or lower or medium arch. The biggest selling top 3 brands across the USA are Asics, Brooks, and Saucony. If you are out shopping, look for Asics 2000, or Asics Kayano, Brooks Revenna, or Brooks Adrenaline, Saucony Guide or Saucony Omni, Adidas Adistar, or in New Balance the 860 or 1260. Mizuno and Nike make shoes for pronation too, you have many, many choices. The Asics, Brooks, Saucony, New Balance and Mizuno all come in narrow, medium and wide widths. Go out and find the shoe that 'your' feet love. One brand is not better than another, the best shoe is the one that feels best on 'your' foot!

Thanks for the compliment on the pool, it will be a fun summer with it!
 
Wow....now I need to go shopping! I love all the new fun colors in shoes these days and want to graduate from white to a more colorful statement. I can hear my credit cards sizzling now.....
 
Wow....now I need to go shopping! I love all the new fun colors in shoes these days and want to graduate from white to a more colorful statement. I can hear my credit cards sizzling now.....
Yes @Jamie, get shopping! You are by no means limited, you can have all the bright colors that you want! Just make sure that you go somewhere like where like I work where they know what they are selling. Google "running speciality stores" and at the very least you have the brands and models that fit your category for pronation that I listed for you and you can look for them. I should've also added the Saucony Hurricane to your list too. Just remember...say for an example if your foot measures size 8, then you should be buying a size 9 running shoe. People always buy their athletic shoes too short because the buy the size they measure when in a running shoe they need to go up one size or their feet are crammed into the shoes. Believe me, when people buy good shoes in the right size for the first time they are totally amazed at how good their feet feel! :wow:

For anyone who might be wondering...running shoes are NOT just for running, you don't have to run in a running shoe, they are the best for walking too. Running shoes are lightweight, flexible in all the right places, breathable and are made to take a pounding!

Happy shopping!!!
 
Have watched your posts off and on. Walking the 1/2 is certainly a challenge. Did a small 5k Fund raiser event last weekend and covered the distance in 43:40. Considering doing the 4 mile event of the Steamboat Classic (I ran that several times over the years). A 1/2.....perhaps....

Anyway the need to set a goal to train for an event is something I need and am thinking about. Have you heard of AquaBike events? Here's one in Texas to consider......https://www.trifind.com/re_137900/OfftheRockTriathlon.html

Too early in the swimming learning curve for me to do one this year, looking at the spring of 2015. Thought I'd share as something to consider.....

Great info on the shoes that you shared! My wife has been very pleased with the narrow Brooks Adrenalines!!

Best to you.....
 
@Jamie @RunA42K ,
I was thinking a sticky thread about shoes would be helpful, as these posts become stale, they are impossible to find. I would be happy to write about how to check shoes for mfg defects (warping, and off center heel counters), so you are sure to purchase a well made shoe.
 
@Jamie @RunA42K ,
I was thinking a sticky thread about shoes would be helpful, as these posts become stale, they are impossible to find. I would be happy to write about how to check shoes for mfg defects (warping, and off center heel counters), so you are sure to purchase a well made shoe.

I very written about finding the right shoes several times over the past several years, and yes...the helpful information does get lost over time.

Everything starts with the feet. We have to carry our body weight around all day long. If we hurt then it seems like everything hurts. The wrong shoe type can affect yours knees, hips and back. The correct shoe type can make everything feel better!
 
I very written about finding the right shoes several times over the past several years, and yes...the helpful information does get lost over time.
I recall you writing about shoes previously, and thought it would be an idea to create an easier to find thread. You have a wealth of information about shoes, types, and brands, that is so helpful to others.
 
Hi Bonnie!

1. Love your pool! Looks so inviting.

2. ASICS! After wearing RĂ¿kas for almost 20 years, I bought my first pair of Asics. I walk 5 miles 4 days a week and teach 3/4 low impact Jazzercise classes a week ... and have Achilles tendinitis! I wear the Flashpoints (volleyball shoe) for class and I'm looking at the Kayano 19 (on sale since the Kayano 20 is out). You are SO right about getting a size bigger.

3. Good to see you pain-free, Bonnie! And working towards walking that half in January.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom