Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

@Josephine @Jamie @turtle68 @maryo52 @patbike @Pumpkln @patient 99 @spinfanatic @RestAssured @alexthecat @Oldie @Celle

Well...this is kind of neat. I got a call from Dr. Incavo's office, they told me that there would be a story about Dr. Incavo that was being written up by the hospital media relations department where he practices where I had my surgery. It will a story to be given to the news media outlets and for print in our Houston Chronicle newspaper. (Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA). They asked me if I would be willing to participate. Of course I said YES!!

If I can be of help to anyone else I will certainly participate. They said the story will be about people who need knee replacements/how to know when you need one and in my case how do you know when your knee replacement needs a revision. Dr. Incavo says that many people wait too long and miss out on a quality of life.

So this afternoon I had a phone interview with a woman from the Media Relations Coordinator for Methodist Hospital in the Houston Medical Center. I got to talk about what I went through with my first knee replacement, my revision and how each and every day I am still so amazed how well I did and am doing. That people should not settle, if they are in pain or have a dysfunctional knee to keep looking for answers and if you don't get them, then ask someone else. Evidently Dr. Incavo suggested that I be contacted after seeing me yesterday. While I was on the phone interview I took the opportunity to tell her about BoneSmart. She didn't know about it, but said she would look as soon as she was done talking to me. I have some papers to sign, scan and send back to her at Methodist Hospital, releases so that I can be quoted and if I am willing to be contacted and or interviewed by the news media. When I e-mail those papers back, I will also include the Bonesmart web address to make sure that they have it.

Then I was thinking...I wonder if my first surgeon will see or read any of this. I hope that he does...Now I think I know why Dr. Incavo asked me which hospital I had my first knee replacement in...a different hospital of course.
 
Bonnie, you are doing great! PT for 4 days straight, unbelievable. I had been told that one needed to rest one day between PT sessions, but good for you, if you can do it! Just be careful don't overdue as you know that can cause inflammation and scar tissue! Also be careful that peroneal nerve damage can be bad. I have a friend & neiighbor (in her fifties) that the peroneal nerve caused her to get Drop Foot, and now 2 yrs later, she is still walking with crutches. Not to scare you, just so you are aware.
Keep up the great recovery, you are an inspiration to others.
 
Oh my goodness! You will be the poster child of successful revision! And maybe for Bonesmart!!!

I have to wonder if your previous surgeon will remember. They remember cases but not so much faces. Hmmm
 
Bonnie, I was writing the above post at the same time you were writing, just read your post, sounds great!!
don't worry about your original OS reading it, My original OS and my revisionist are friends, talk about my knee.
 
Oh my goodness! You will be the poster child of successful revision! And maybe for Bonesmart!!!

I have to wonder if your previous surgeon will remember. They remember cases but not so much faces. Hmmm

Oh Mary, I think that he will remember me...I went back so many times. Also if you remember when my bone scan, aspiration, and CT scans were negative he sent me to "his so called problem solver PT" then when she could not get anywhere with me (because of the scar tissue he said was 'highly unlikely') she called him about me and then between the two of them wanted me to start taking 10mg of hydocodone and force my knee to bend. It never would have worked anyway. But...I never took the drugs and saw Dr. Lintner instead who removed my scar tissue. After that I called his "problem solver PT" and told her that my knee was full of more scar tissue then Dr. Lintner had ever seen and cut it all out. That I would not be coming in anymore...I am sure she passed that on.
 
Bonnie,

I am so happy for you!:happydance: You are doing so well, and representing BoneSmart as well! When I see Dr. Maale on Thursday, I am going to dance in and ask if if he has looked at the BoneSmart site yet!:yahoo:
 
That's really wonderful, Bonnie!!! I'm so glad you get an opportunity to tell your story and to promote BoneSmart. When the article is printed, be sure to give us a link so we can include it somewhere here on the forum. Where it goes will depend on how it's written. But I'm pretty sure it will have a place here! Plus, we may want Richard Warner to see it!
 
@Jamie They told me it would take about two weeks to be prepared. They will send it to me to make sure that I am okay with any of the quotes and info about me. Then it will be released to various news media, that would be print and TV. However the media outlets choose to go with the news release we'll have to wait to see. That is why I had to sign releases for interviewing, video taping etc., since I am a patient. But of course without a doubt I will certainly give you what ever links are out there when I get them.
 
Great report Bonnie. I'm thrilled for you that this revision has worked out so well. Methodist seems to be the go to place for TKR's as I've met several people here who are having or who have had theirs done at Methodist. So glad you found Dr.Incavo, and look forward to reading about your success in the Chronicle.

Dorothy
 
In the press, eh, Bonnie? Nice one! And when you get the article, please do get a copy to send on to Richard Warner and Jeremy. It will make their day! It's surely made mine!


btw, that nerve is the peroneal nerve! - the one that really hurts when you bang the outside of your knee on a coffee table! As you can see, there is also a companion nerve on the inner side - the saphenous nerve

[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
In the press, eh, Bonnie? Nice one! And when you get the article, please do get a copy to send on to Richard Warner and Jeremy. It will make their day! It's surely made mine!


btw, that nerve is the peroneal nerve! - the one that really hurts when you bang the outside of your knee on a coffee table! As you can see, there is also a companion nerve on the inner side - the saphenous nerve

[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
Now that I think about it Josephine...it could have been the saphenous nerve...both names sound familiar. No worries though, it seems to getting better every day.

I told you that I'd mention the Bonesmart address when I emailed back my releases. I did and got a reply saying "you read my mind...I was going to ask you for the web site address." I'll keep you updated for sure.
 
Still holding steady, after 3 days off from Physical Therapy but worked those 3 days, I was back at it again yesterday in Physical Therapy and I am happy to report that I am maintaining my 115 ROM. Not sliding backwards at all. The last 5 times at Physical Therapy I was able to ride the bike each day. I've done both the recumbent and upright. I'm thinking that by the end of this week I may get to 118 or better!! I'm not saying that too loudly because I don't want to disappointment myself just in case. :yikes:
 
Well I am getting a little discouraged because I was hoping to have a higher ROM by the end of this week. No such luck. I was able to pull my knee during wall slides to an uncomfortable 115 degrees. While I am not going backwards I just am not moving forward very fast. 13 weeks and 3 days post op today, I looked way back in my thread and read that at 12 weeks post op with my first TKR I was at 124! Wow, what I would give to have that now. I know that they are two different surgeries, two different knees (even if it is the same leg). I know I'm not supposed to compare...but I can't help it. The one good thing is that in the past 7 visits to Physical Therapy I've been able to peddle the bike, but know that I am no where near to being able to ride outside. When I say I get my ROM to 115, it's not a functional 115, it's a uncomfortable 115 for a moment until I have to let go. Dr. Incavo said me made my knee tight to stabilize it, maybe that is why it is taking longer, they told me I'd keep gaining ROM for the next year...I'm just too impatient. :sos:
 
Hang in there Bonnie, you will get there. My OS said my knee will continue to improve and while I still have swelling after lots of activity, I continue to improve. I know how fit and athletic you are and amazed at all the PT you're doing plus working. Maybe it's just that swelling inside your knee that's holding you back. Perhaps a little of that ODIC.
 
Bonnie,
I agree with turtle68, ODIC.
Your ROM will come in good time. Look at how much more you can do with your new knee, ROM would not make any difference right now.
You will be able to do everything you have been hoping for, have at least a little more patience.:flwrysmile:
 
Hey Bonnie , you are doing so well , congratulations ! Working and Pt 3-4 days in a row . Riding the bike . I started OPT . I got the coolest therapist . You would think he was a bonesmart moderator. My extension is great but my flexion pretty disappointing. Obviously im overdoing it due to several factors . Im doing surprisingly well , so I feel I have carte blanche to "OVERDO IT". Internal swelling is hampering my flexion . Well Bonnie , keep up the great work , iceman
 
@turtle68 @Pumpkln Ok...I give up! What is ODIC? As soon as you tell me I'll probably smack myself up along side my head and tell myself...of course dummy!!
 
Yes Bonnie I had to ask that question also about the ODIC club! They started laughing and said I should know, I am the Queen!

Now, for a bit of realism. Remember how long it took me to get to where I am pulling my knees to my chest? Where I am kneeling? Doing planks? Another words, NONE of this happened overnight! I have had Abby pull me back, because I am my own worst enemy sometimes! She and Jill challenge me, and I am getting better, stronger, and faster. My breathing no longer sounds like a broken winded horse when I get my heart rate up!:rotfl:

But, take it from the Overdoer that has been there and not only with a replacement, but a revision, you will get there! Dr. Maale said everything looked perfect w my knee yesterday. My foot and ankle well the snap I heard was osteoarthritis breaking off into the tendon in the foot causing the stabbing pain. He said that the swimming the past week was the best thing that the doctor could have recommended! I am pain free everywhere except my neck, and Dr. Maale has already gotten in touch w a neurosurgeon in San Angelo, and one in Dallas. He wants two opinions, so he can give me my best course of treatment at this point! He said it may be a fusion, like I have, and I shyly said then you and I will be the Bobsey twins! However that cartoon strip from www2 was spelled! He just laughed!:happydance:
 
I was able to pull my knee during wall slides to an uncomfortable 115 degrees.

Is it possible you're worried that history will repeat itself?

On vay-cay in Puerto Rico seems to be making my "recurrent synovitis" even worse. I learned from your case that an unstable knee can cause scar tissue, and I believe this was my case. I continue to entertain a revision. Not only do I have the synovitis and the constant feeling of bands around my knee, my leg is in about 7 degrees of valgus. So it isn't horrible but semi-horrible.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom