Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Been reading your thread......thank you for sharing all you did...and for being YOU!
 
Been reading your thread......thank you for sharing all you did...and for being YOU!

@Karringtyn Wow...that's a lot of reading. I hope in some way it eases your mind, answers some questions and lets you know that you are not alone on your own out there. I found Bonesmart about 7 weeks before my TKR, just by accident. It helped me so much. Although others are well meaning, try to be understanding and take good care of you, there is just no way that they can know what you're going through unless they've been there themselves. That is what this community is all about, to educate, comfort, and listen! Good luck in your recovery :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bonnie! I just saw the question you posted over in Blue's thread regarding the bike rotations. I never actually thought of that, but the height thing makes total sense. Since we (I'm 5'10") are able to sit with the seat much higher up than someone shorter, that would naturally decrease the angle necessary to make a full rotation, right? I wonder if it has anything to do with hip alignment too. Such an interesting question/observation....:what:
 
Yes @DogLoverx3, it has bewildered me at times knowing what people's ROM is and can pedal a bike. I really need a minimum of 115-117 degrees to get get on and pedal normally. Of course we can adjust seat heights, but still I either hike my right hip or have that hitch at the right ankle/foot. I have two sisters, we three are 5' 2" tall but they have longer legs than me starting about 2 inches higher at the hip. So they have short body and long legs and I have long body and short legs...

I wonder if anyone else can shed some light on this?
 
Hi Bonnie,
I am 5'2" and have a long body and short legs. My ROM is between 115 and 120, I need more ROM to pedal around at the correct seat height. I am thinking of having someone measure my right (healthy) ROM to figure out what I need. For my exercycle I have and adjustable crank arm at 165 cm, most bikes are 175 cm.
You can purchase shorter crank arms, a local bike shop can help you.
Here is a link to a bike forum discussion:
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-754780.html

I hope to be cycling again after my revision, :bicycle1:
 
I have real problems on a bike - I have tried however now given up. I am 5'1" and have a ROM of 90 at best. I have attempted to ride with the saddle so high that my good leg an just touch the pedal and bad leg has heel on other one, with a VERY wiggly method (exercise bike only - too wobbly for real bike) I can sometime get a rotation however it was getting less and less often and more and more painful (not only for my knee but also for other chaffed parts!). I also get very odd looks at the gym with my classy cycling style!

I have looked into crank shorteners however the ones I can find in the UK that fit my bike are very expensive and as I am still hoping that more can be done for my knee I am not prepared for the outlay just yet!

Shortie x
 
@maryo52 @Shortie When I've been able to pedal after my revision recently it is with the seat raised up. If I were to put the seat where it should be for my height (which is better for the back and hips) I'd never be able to make a rotation. I bet I'd need 120 to do that.
 
Yup. It's like doing stairs. It just doesn't seem to go all that well at first. But give it time . . .
 
I usually don't go to Physical Therapy 3 days in a row, but this week I have. Usually my knee swells or gets stiff afterwards so I put a day in between visits. Monday, Tuesday, then today Wednesday, and each day I did better than the day before! Right off I measured 110 then 112, then 114, my highest number yet on the 3rd day. I spent 20 minutes on the recumbent bike, peddled 2.52 miles and peddled quite well.

Tomorrow Thursday I have my OS check up. My knee is 12 weeks and 2 days old today. What I really want to ask him about is that fact that when I really try to bend my knee the place where it huts is on the outer side of my calf. Once I get to a point, I get a pain that makes me jump. My PT wonders if it has something to do with the LONG implant in my tibia. Maybe tomorrow I'll get an answer. Maybe it's that bone is still healing. Any thoughts on that anyone?
 
@RunA42K,

I am 5'9 1/2, and Abby has has me on the spin bike by locating the top of my hip bone to determine height. She does the same with the trainer bikes. I am no longer allowed to count the recumbent bikes as warmup because I can get the ROM she wants, pedal at 95-100 for 10-20 minutes and chat with everyone going by! I thought being friendly was a part of my training:heehee:, but apparently I am mistaken!:rotfl:
 
@RunA42K;I had a pain on the outer calf at the top that was the fibula head which hurt to walk and was hard to weight bear. My physio did some massage and mobilised the head and the pain eased.

As my extension has got better the fibula head doesn't flare up. She said it was because I wasn't walking correctly because I didn't have full extension and because of my quad lag.
 
Wow. You can go full rotation on the bike. After 6 weeks I'm still rocking my knee...still can't make it go around. Hopefully I might be able to before my insurance stops. Have 6 more PT spots left. Have bike at home, maybe it's time it get the clothes off, dust it and hoist myself on it.
Good luck to you. You motivated me even at 4am. Thanks
 
Bonnie,

It could be that it is because you are still in the early stages of healing. You aren't overdoing it in the gym are you?! Of course, I know the answer because as you say we are both driven. The pain could be a number of things. I will be interested to hear what your OS has to say.:friends:
 
Sitting here in the waiting room now at Dr Incavo's. A woman sitting next to me just 'belched' then pretended nothing happened.

@RestAssured, I really am not over doing it at the gym. I work out where my Physical Therapy is because they have sports performance training. I go at it hard with upper body and core, but everything to do with my legs is under the guidance of my PT. He tells the guys/girls (trainers) what I can and can't do and they modify the workout for me. We pretty much save the legs for Physical Therapy.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic knee week this week. Did Physical Therapy 4 times this week, each day was better than the day before. Today I got my knee to bend 115 degrees, that is the best yet. I also was able to pedal the bike 4 days in a row too. 12 weeks 3 days post op, I saw my surgeon today and I was doing so well, he told me I don't have to come back for 8 (eight) years! Wow...what a difference a good doctor and a new knee make and of course my Dr. Luu who I've been doing Physical Therapy with for over 3 years now!!! It's going to be a good spring/summer this year and life in general!!

We did talk about the calf pain and both the OS and his PA felt that it is the nerve that runs along the side of the calf (I forgot the name maybe @Orthodoc or @Josephine knows). Anyway, they said when the skin is pulled back during surgery that nerve can sometimes get damaged and takes time to heal. If you remember early on after my revision I was concerned about the calf pain I was having, even worried about DVT. It is exactly the same spot where that early pain was but now it only hurts when I bend past a certain point.

It's all good, I am indeed blessed. Each and every day still, I am amazed at how great this second knee is and so thankful that I found Dr. Incavo. I thanked him today for doing such a good job on my knee!
 
What a wonderful report, sorry about the burping lady, geeze :scratch:. Excuseeeee Meeeee!
That is the same nerve I stretched, peroneal nerve or fibularis nerve, is has two names :groan:.
Takes awhile to heal, give it time.
Thanks for your kinds words in Aprilgirls thread, I need to reign in my Nervous Nellie, it will be just fine, and much better when all is said and done.
 
@Pumpkln Yes Chris, it was called the peroneal nerve. I knew if someone said the name I'd recognize it. I think I'll read up on it. It sure makes sense though since that was a source of pain early on and healed up enough until now I guess I'm stretching it more with more ROM.

And yes...don't worry! I know that is easy to say, I don't think that I was worried before my revision, I had prepared myself to be in agony like the first TKR, but knew I had to do it because I couldn't go on living life the way I was, I had to take the chance that I'd get better. You know the rest of the story...what a pleasant surprise my recovery has been! I am excited for you, wish the day would hurry up because I know you are going to feel so much better and can start being active again!!
 
Great to hear your news, your recovery trajectory is very positive . I too investigated shorter pedal arms in the early days but eventually got the rotation I needed to start biking. I though am 5' 11 and have longer legs for my height making it easier than in your case. Look forward to updates on your progress.
 
Hi Bonnie. Love your thread as you have been a terrific and positive role model for me! I had my revision 3 weeks ago and look forward to your regular updates. I, like you, hope to be back on the bike soon. Fingers crossed! Anne
 
Back
Top Bottom