Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

I am sticking with platform pedals too. Mine have the usual little spikes on them which help them grab the hard rubber soles of my shoes. I use a pair of regular cross training shoes with deep grooves and they grip just fine plus they feel very light. It even feels like my feet are pulling them up at the beginning of the backstroke.
I also have a pair of biking sandals (they have mounts for clips which I don't use), they seem to be a little stiffer on the bottom but not as grooved. I like both and interchange them. The groups I ride with all use the clipped pedals but I seem to go the same speed and I don't fall over at stop signs like they do on occasion. :-).

Your progress sounds great but do hold yourself back a little and buildup over time, just to be safe.
 
I am sticking with platform pedals too.
The groups I ride with all use the clipped pedals but I seem to go the same speed and I don't fall over at stop signs like they do on occasion. :).

Your progress sounds great but do hold yourself back a little and buildup over time, just to be safe.

Truer words were never spoken, @patbike "Your progress sounds great but do hold yourself back a little and buildup over time, just to be safe."

After my 2.30 mile walk on Saturday only got me to a 104 ROM today :-( I guess I should not have walked that far but I was so excited to be in the outdoors again.

I took my road bike into the bike shop today and they were able to order the platform pedals that I wanted in the correct size. They will be in next week. I sent the other ones back today that were the wrong size. So what's the big rush with pedals on the road bike? When I am able to actually ride outside I will start out riding my mountain bike. Fatter tires, upright riding. My mountain bike is on the trainer right now, and it will be going outside so I wanted to get the platforms on the road bike so I can put it on the trainer. The road bike has pencil thin tires, and of course the handle bars where I am riding somewhat hunched over. That will come in time but not right away.

Too funny about those in your group falling over at stop signs...I have seen that many times before...thats not going to be me!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I made an appt to see my OS today. I'll go next week when I am 12 weeks and 3 days post op. I would have been going closer to 16 weeks but as usual, you know how I over do things. I keep taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back when it comes to ROM. After getting my ROM to 113 a week ago, yesterday it was 104. The reason I do so much is because I feel so good. Like walking the 2.30 miles on Saturday. I felt great and still my knee does not hurt, but it swells and when it swells it does not bend...how many times have I said that to other people?? Anyway I felt like I wanted to see him sooner rather than later just incase if I had any adhesion issues. I did pop one in Physical Therapy a couple of weeks ago. The PA said today that I can continue to gain ROM for a year, maybe longer and @turtle68 when I hear about your 130...I want that too!!! Yes, I know - be patient. The first TKR it took me 6.5 months to get to 135, before I lost it all to scar tissue and a bad knee!
 
I felt great and still my knee does not hurt, but it swells and when it swells it does not bend...
Swells is just another word for pain! And Pain (swells) equals no gain.
Slow down, you move too fast, plenty of time later for long walks. I worry with inflammation, that your scar tissue can come back.
I agree no clips, just flat pedals and fat tires for me.
 
@Pumpkln I know you are right Chris. I just get excited and over anxious because for the first time in 2 years I feel good again. I don't have pain, I don't walk with a limp, my hip is no longer hurting from over compensating for my knee. I am so happy to feel more normal than I have since 2010 when I was bone on bone. So I get excited and get over zealous about living life again!!
 
Hey Bonnie, how about if I share my 135 ROM if you'll share your ability to actually DO things and feel great? I think I would swap my ROM for the ability to walk across the house without my knee blowing up and hurting. ;). Great ROM does no good without the ability to actually use it, so I think you're very lucky to feel so awesome! I hope you get good news from your OS!!! ((Hugs))
 
Hey Bonnie, how about if I share my 135 ROM if you'll share your ability to actually DO things and feel great? I think I would swap my ROM for the ability to walk across the house without my knee blowing up and hurting. ;). Great ROM does no good without the ability to actually use it, so I think you're very lucky to feel so awesome! I hope you get good news from your OS!!! ((Hugs))

Seriously @DogLoverx3 you had your TKR 12/16/13 and you have ROM of 130? My revision was 12/02/13 and I've not gotten past 113. I know we are not supposed to compare but I'm jealous! I'm not going to be greedy...if I can get to and stay at 120 to where I could just hop on a bike and go I'll be happy. As it is now, some days I can peddle and some days I can't! But yes at least I don't hurt!
 
I'm jealous of you! Good ROM is pretty much all I've got right now. My knee stays hugely swollen round the clock (as the swelling sits right on top of and above my knee, it doesn't affect my bend) and sore. I seriously can't even make it around my block walking :( I see and read all the great things you've been doing and only hope that I can actually do them someday. You'll get to 120 Bonnie I'm certain of that!
 
Bonnie, you're actually missing the biggest concern, and that's return of scar tissue. When you overdo it, you notice it swells. But swelling is caused by inflammation, and inflammation is a primary factor in scar tissue. Am I right @skigirl?
 
I've had the same amount of swelling since day 1 (practically). It's not that it swells more it just stays the same...somewhat swollen. I've learned on BS that we can have swelling up to a year. This knee feels so different than the first one. When I say I do not hurt, I truly do not have any pain. It feels totally different than the first knee when I stretch or bend it. When I had popped that scar tissue a couple of weeks ago that was a whole new experience for me because my first knee that never happened...it just grew like a weed and took over.
 
Bonnie, what are we going to do with you? I understand how you feel because that's the way I was at your stage, and although my rom didn't seem to suffer, I could hardly do anything. I am just now able to peddle the recumbent bike, and I could ride it for 15 minutes at my 1st P.T. session 1 week after surgery, so please, please take it easy. I was thrilled today when I walked a mile on the treadmill with no pain, then rode the bike for 15 minutes, and I really think it would have been an easier year if I hadn't overdone it at the beginning. I still have swelling by the end of an active day and my extension is -5 but OS said that would get better as I continue to strengthen my muscles. Dorothy
 
Well after working a 9.5 hour day Tuesday and 5.5 hours today, I went back to Physical Therapy today to continue my ROM roller coaster! Monday ROM 104, today 111. I rode recumbent much easier than I even did last week. I took a video of me peddling on the bike today. I peddled for 17 minutes...I was told to do 15...always challenging myself to do more. I was comfortable and no worse for the wear tonight! Each day is a new day...and today was a good one. Here's me peddling below! Yea!!!
 
I know the enjoyment of being pain free for the first time in a long time.
I think it was around the 4 month point when I went for a hike over varied terrain and I felt like I was floating because there was no pain. I could not even feel my knee as if it wasn't there.. I was sort of euphoric and wanted to keep going. Before that walking was a struggle that I dreaded or totally it.
 
First chance to get on here since Wednesday evening. I had another good day in PT a second day in a row on Thursday. After my 17 minute bike peddling on the recumbent bike Wednesday, Thursday I got to 113 degrees and peddled the upright bike (which is more difficult) for 15 minutes. This really makes me happy because I was able to do even better the second day. Monday ROM 104 Thursday 113, a gain of 9 degrees this week!! I will behave this weekend...

I'm having empty nest syndrome...again! When my husband was so critically ill in 2012, my son moved back home so he could be of help to his Dad and his Mom (me) who had a bad knee (my first TKR). As Dave got well, he stayed with our blessing so he could live rent free, no bills at all and save money to buy his own house. He was here through his Dad's illness/recovery, our move to our new house, my scar tissue surgery in August and my Revision in December. He was able to save LOTS of money while being a help to us and we enjoyed his company. He started building a new house in October, he saved enough to buy a house and an engagement ring for his girlfriend. Yesterday he closed on his new house...so he is in his own new house tonight and my house feels empty without him. He has a Dachshund just like my Gracie who has been with us all this time too, tonight I drove his dog Doobie to his new home. So now Doobie is gone too, he's been here long enough that we all miss him and especially my Gracie.

It's all good though, I'll adjust. We raise our kids so they can be independent, responsible good adults and my son is just that!
 
It sounds like you did a great job with your son---and now he is off to live a productive life. I miss my kids too--you can always get another friend for Gracie!! Most of all, it will be you who picks up your life right now.

Mary is right too though, try not to overdo the knee, there is always a fine line from stressing yourself a little to move forward and causing pain or swelling to your knee. It sounds like you are moving forward responsibly and I am happy to see your progress.
 
Bonnie. Great video. I couldnt even tell which knee is the new one. I really enjoy working out and miss it dearly. I probably wont be going to my gym for atleast 10 weeks if im lucky. They have a arch trainer at my gym its like a treadmill / elliptical trainer. It is cool . Its the only time I can run cause no bodyweight is on the knee. Its like gravity free feeling. Anyway I couldnt be happier for you. Keep up the great work. However do I sense alittle ODIC membership? You know , you could take your time , but I understand this has been a long arduous battle for you. Its hard to believe your revision was only in December and you are doing so well. I will continue to follow. Im a little guilty myself of a little ODIC. take care BONNIE
 
Healing:
You can't really speed it up much but you can sure slow it down.

Wow... That is so true Patbike! Simple thought with lots of meaning.

I had a busy Saturday, on my feet a lot at home, cleaning bathrooms, doing laundry, turning the room that my son vacated into a guest room. When I woke up Sunday morning I felt like I'd been beat up! I knew I had to take it easy on Sunday so I assumed the position on my bed for most of the day, icing and elevating. Just out of curiosity I tried to see if I could peddle my bike early in the day, I could not. So I rested all day and all evening. Got up today, no work on Monday and once I was showered and dressed I assumed my position on the bed again, Dachshund Gracie by my side and took it easy till it was time to go to Physical Therapy at 1:30. First measurement taken at Physical Therapy right out of the box was 108 after some wall slides 113 so they had me get on the bike. I peddled better than I have in a years time (upright bike).

So yes @patbike your statement is so very true!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - just how inspirational can someone be? Thank you so much - I have just read quite a lot of your thread (sorry didn't read ALL 81 pages) and for me as someone who's TKR isn't great you really have inspired me to keep on going and to keep asking why, and not rest until it is right! Thank you x

Shortie x
 
Wow - just how inspirational can someone be? Thank you so much - I have just read quite a lot of your thread (sorry didn't read ALL 81 pages) and for me as someone who's TKR isn't great you really have inspired me to keep on going and to keep asking why, and not rest until it is right! Thank you xShortie x

@Shortie
You are very welcome! I am glad that I've inspired you without even trying, just talking about my TKR/Revision journey. I say never settle, keep asking questions and if you don't like the answers then ask someone else until you are satisfied. I've certainly had my ups and downs but things are going so incredibly well now. New doctor, new knee!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom