Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Today I rode the bike at Physical Therapy for 15 minutes! OMG, the littlest of things (just peddling a bike) mean so much. Can you just feel my smile coming through as I type this??? So I am working Thursday and Friday then rest, ice elevate and stretch a lot over the weekend and I'll be ready to do even better by Monday's PT appointment!! Revision gave me my life back...Life is Good!
 
Bonnie, its so wonderful to hear how good you are doing after your revision, I also believe the revision surgeon has the credit. but also not doing any PT for the first 3 wks, giving the knee time to heal before aggravating it (which only just caused pain & swelling) has alot to do with the great recovery. When my revision surgeon said no PT for 3 weeks, I couldn't beleive it, cause with my first surgeries I was in PT a day after going home just like you were. I'm so grateful he knew best, just like the Bonesmart Mantra.
I like you are am very happy with my revision! I wish you continued good recovery!
 
Thank you so much @Oldie, yes I give my doctor the credit because he did a very good surgery, used the correct knee and started me off in the right/smart direction! Today I worked a 9.5 hour day, (9 weeks 3 days post op) my knee was fine, no pain pills, no limping, swelling or need to ice. Each and every day I am still amazed how this revision is sooo much better than the original TKR! Yesterday at Physical Therapy, my PT in just handling my knee remarked how stable and strong my revision knee feels, saying that my old knee always felt unstable as though it would fall apart. I am very blessed indeed.
 
Sounds like you are having a model recovery. It is terrific that you are able to be on your feet for long periods with little or no discomfort or reaction from your knee. This is a very good sign and may mean that the muscle and connective tissues are all falling into place, getting stronger and able to do their jobs without becoming sore.
I am very pleased for you.
 
Off to Physical Therapy, exactly 10 weeks post op today. Wish me luck, I want to do good. My knee feels fine, I worked 5 days last week. No problems.....
 
Congratulations to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Well, I must have got all those good vibes from all of your today because I did good at Physical Therapy! Right out of the gate 113 degrees...my best so far. I was able to get on the bike and peddle, peddle, peddle, forward and backwards. So after being on my feet working 5 days, last Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday I am no worse for the wear! Next Physical Therapy is Wednesday and hopefully I'll be at 115 or higher. At this rate when the weather warms (March for South a Texas) I'll be outside riding my bikes!!! Thanks everyone!!
 
:yay: soon you will be :bicycle1: along a country road !
Fantastic to hear you can work, and be none the worse for wear, I look forward to that day!
 
Good news with the Rom and the pedaling. For me being able to rotate my knee on a bike was my main goal and a great relief once I could do it. I also think it really helps keep the Rom improving in the early months.
 
Good news with the Rom and the pedaling. For me being able to rotate my knee on a bike was my main goal and a great relief once I could do it. I also think it really helps keep the Rom improving in the early months.

I just like you @patbike have the goal of being able to hop on a bike and go. I know that once I am good at peddling it will help me maintain my ROM!

Today I met a woman in my store that had a TKR 7 months old. She said she's been limping around all this time with a stiff knee and she could not believe that I was just 10 weeks and walking around like I'd never had surgery. I told her that I and my family were amazed too. I wrote down the Bonesmart web address for her, she had never heard of it before. Hopefully she'll join in.

More Physical Therapy for me tomorrow...hope I do as well as yesterday.
 
I can relate to your story as I am sure that there are more out here who have had or are having difficulty with their original TKR. I certainly have. It's been a proverbial PIA for me. Felt good 6-7 weeks but after that all sideways.
I just don't care to go through all the BS again.

Am I living a normal life? Mehhhh somewhat.
I can still feel the TKR and it is bothersome, not painful just doesn't feel right.
My other Ortho says it's scar tissue and he can remove it arthroscopically. I do not know if I want to open up this can of worms though. I just try to endure it. I wish I would have never gotten it to begin with.
 
Bonnie. Congratulations. Im glad you are doing so well. It gives me hope. So far so good. Im on my 2 morning on the otherside. Might be going home today. Everthing has come along better than I had thought/ feared. Its great to hear you are working and relatively pain free and limp free. Keep up the great work.!!
 
I can relate to your story as I am sure that there are more out here who have had or are having difficulty with their original TKR. I certainly have. It's been a proverbial PIA for me. Felt good 6-7 weeks but after that all sideways.
I just don't care to go through all the BS again.

Am I living a normal life? Mehhhh somewhat.
I can still feel the TKR and it is bothersome, not painful just doesn't feel right.
My other Ortho says it's scar tissue and he can remove it arthroscopically. I do not know if I want to open up this can of worms though. I just try to endure it. I wish I would have never gotten it to begin with.

Yes @lionsm13 it's been quite a journey but I don't have one ounce of regret for the scar tissue surgery and then the revision. I was not content to just settle, but I was in pain too. After having such an active life then barely being able to walk to my mailbox I wanted more out of life. This revision has been so wonderful, I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had too. I am truly happy now for the first time in over 3.5 years because I am feeling normal again. I know that my active life is returning again. Each and everyday I am truly amazed what a turnaround this revision has been.
 
Bonnie. Congratulations. Im glad you are doing so well. It gives me hope. So far so good. Im on my 2 morning on the otherside. Might be going home today. Everthing has come along better than I had thought/ feared. Its great to hear you are working and relatively pain free and limp free. Keep up the great work.!!

Well, look at you @icep707 ...giving me encouragement when you are just two days post op!! I hope that everything continues to go better than you thought/feared. I can truly say that I found out that TKR does not have to be horrible, as my first one was. So here's hoping that yours is going as well as my revision is! Since I've gone back to work I've not been on the forum nearly as much, but will catch up on the weekend. I look forward to reading about your recovery and hope that I can help you along your way!
 
Today at Physical Therapy I rode the bike like nobody's business. Two miles...by the time I got warmed up and really going, no hike in my hip or ankle, I just peddled pretty darn normal. We didn't push things too far because I am going again tomorrow so after my success on the bike I did upper body weights and core exercises to the point of having noodle arms and abs that were screaming. It's all good...I love working out with the trainers, it makes me feel like me again. :spin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, lets see...I was last here on my thread 3 days ago when I reported my success in pedaling the bike in Physical Therapy , not much new with the ROM since then but today I went walking outside. It was beautiful out 70's and full sun, a nice change from our extra cold cloudy wet winter so far. I wore my Garmin GPS so I'd know how far I walked and the time doing it...from my house I walked and back again 2.30 miles in 52 minutes. 10 weeks and 5 days post op from my revision. This after working the prior 4 days in a row. I've said it before and I have to say it again, I am still amazed how well I am doing after having such an awful TKR the first time. My Dr. Incavo is absolutely awesome!!
 
I could stand and walk but I would get visible puffiness and heat particularly if I went on any kind of hike.
While it lessened over time I think it was four months or so before the post walk swelling went away. I still get a little heat but almost nothing at this point 9 months out. Fortunately pedaling was always easy and seemed not to cause any irritation.

You are surly having a great recovery, keep it up.

PS I made a note of your surgeons name just in case. It would be more than worth the trip.
 
I could stand and walk but I would get visible puffiness and heat particularly if I went on any kind of hike.
You are surly having a great recovery, keep it up.
PS I made a note of your surgeons name just in case. It would be more than worth the trip.

@patbike Here is hoping that you'll never need to make the trip but if you do, he is an awesome doctor. Dr. Stephen Incavo, in the Texas Medical Center, Houston, Texas. Chief of Adult Reconstructive Surgery. Had I known before what I know now!!!

Heat? I still have a great deal of heat coming from my knee. It just goes with the territory i guess.

I ordered some new Wellgo white magnesium pedals for my road bike...but found they don't fit. I am taking off the Speed Play pedals I have on there now because once I am out on the road riding again, I don't want to be clipped in anymore. I don't want to increase my risk of falling. I'll sell those Speed Plays and my bike shoes on e-Bay. I plan on taking my bike into the bike shop tomorrow and purchasing or having them order the pedals that I want in the right size. The ones I got were off a e-Bay and they are returnable, fortunately. I guess I just need to not worry about getting a good deal and just go in personally and get what I want that fits.

Physical Therapy tomorrow afternoon, heres hoping that I can ride that bike again!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom