Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Sounds like a perfect recovery. I remember my rom did not go in a straight line and the changes were small. some days a little better and some a little worse and some the same. but the long term trend was positive and after 3 to 6 months I think the major benefit (pain elimination) was achieved

Also I was reading on another post that it is not uncommon for some minor swelling to linger and to gradually reduce and not fully resolve for 6 months to a year. I know my O/S said pretty much the same thing.
 
Fantastic. So glad your P.T. is the slow and steady kind. You'll be riding that bike in no time.

Dorothy
 
I'm going downtown today to do a 1/2 day helping get the Houston Marathon finish line ready. The marathon is Sunday and I plan to be there with my finish line crew helping. I did email the the person in charge of our crew and told about my surgery. He was very understanding and wrote back to tell me that he'd have some jobs for me where I could sit a lot since I told him at 6 weeks 3 days post op (today) that I could not be on my feet for extended periods of time. More than anything else my shin bone hurts. My knee does not bother me just my shin. I have a heating pad on it right now. My PT remarked yesterday that my knee hardly had any swelling at all. Everything is so much better this time...except my shin and I know that's from the long stem into my tibia.
 
Helping at the marathon sounds like lots of fun. I can't wait to hear all about it afterwards. :)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
@alexthecat Day one getting the finish line ready 1 pm till 5 pm, I did just fine. They were all so caring and kind and yet amazed that I was even there. Someone always was asking me if I was doing ok, I would get chauffeured in the golf cart instead of walking and they had this sweet little seat for me on wheels. We take care of the last .2 of the marathon (26.2 miles). There is fencing put up (not by my team) and we cover all the fencing with signage of the sponsors. We thread USA flags, Texas flags, marathon flags, 1/2 marathon flags on to rods that are about 12 feet long. On race day we put out all the flags that we got ready. The signage is not done yet, we will be doing more tomorrow. I have a picture of me on the little rolling seat. I went along the fence line (rolling along) and zip tied all the signage we had done at the bottom. Others standing did the top. It was a good day with good people. I can't run the marathon anymore but I am having fun being a volunteer which let's me still be a part of the marathon that I love so much. :yes!:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Another great day getting the finish line ready for Sunday's race. From 9:00 am this morning till nearly 6 pm. I was even interviewed by our ABC news station. My knee was fine, I was on my feet a little more today than yesterday but I was just fine, no problems with my knee ...I am so happy I had a revision!! My shin hurt from time to time, but it hurts every day. I took a Tramadol and 2 ex strength Tylenol and that would take care of me till it wore off. I am fine tonight. I have one of those activity bands that count your steps, calories burned etc., it is a Polar Loop, pretty new technology and it's great. It tracked my steps today which was 16,763. I enjoyed my day so much, volunteering for the marathon that I love and ran (26.2 miles) 13 times. I got another picture to show of me today at the finish line.
Finisher 13 times is me...6 weeks 4 days post op!
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does it also tell you how many kilometres. My maths says if each step was a metre then it'd be 16km but you're probably pacing 2/3rds of that so maybe 10km? Absolutely brilliant so soon after your revision. Give that girl first prize please.
 
Wow, Bonnie!!! That's some bit of walking! You're doing GREAT!!!!
 
@Campervan You can set it up anyway you like. Since Polar is a world wide company you set the measurements, weight etc., to what you use in your country so anyone anywhere can use it. I got this about 10 days ago. I have a Garmin GPS for my bike (that I can't ride outside yet) I have a Garmin Forerunner GPS for running outside but I can't run anymore. So I wanted this to let me know if I was being active enough in doing other things. So if it says, I've burned 2200 calories, I may eat the ice cream, if it says I've burned 1200 calories I'll SKIP the ice cream. It keeps me honest. The funny thing is, you upload the activities to your computer or app on the iPhone, etc., and it was telling me things (when I was still just resting, icing and elevating all day) you've been sitting a lot, try to more more tomorrow! It does not know I just had a knee replacement. The next day it tells me how long I slept over night. So the goal in steps is based on age, gender, weight so different people have different goals, steps, etc., when I uploaded my stats this evening it said I was at 148% of the 100% goal. Yesterday I was over too but today by far the most...and my knee feels fine. I am just not believing this!!! Polar Loop at www.polar.com I am soooo happy I had a revision!!!
 
WOW, I do not think I have walked that many steps in years!
Take it easy tomorrow so you are ready for Sunday:happydance:.

Tomorrow is rest, ice and elevate day. I'm staying in a hotel downtown overnight on Saturday night so I don't have to drive into town at 4 am and try to find parking. I'll take Zip Loc bags with me and fill them with hotel ice, order room service and watch TV or get on Bonesmart with my iPad while lounging on the bed. My daughter is running the 1/2 marathon so she'll be with me. Since she will be done before me with her 1/2 marathon (it starts the same time as the full marathon) I'll still be at the finish line, she can go back to the room, take a shower and a nap till check out time and then I'll be done! Marathon weekend in Houston is my most favorite time of the year!!!:spin::happydance::dancy:
 
Well, I made it through marathon weekend. It was great to be a part of such a huge wonderful uplifting event! My daughter and I checked into the Hilton on Saturday like I said I would. We stayed in, ordered room service and I iced my knee all evening. My biggest problem though was my shin hurting, and I didn't bring the heating pad. I think that Tramadol is keeping me from sleeping well, I'd taken it exclusively for all of last week and would have much trouble falling asleep at night, a little worse each night. Saturday night before marathon Sunday, Iliterally slept only 3 hours! Has anyone else had this side effect with Tramadol? It was not until I took a Narco at 1:30 am, that I fell asleep at 2am only to get up at 5am. Once home late Sunday afternoon I iced, elevated took a Narco before bedtime and I slept a straight 11 hours.

Watching all the runners finish whether they be doing the 1/2 marathon or full marathon is so incredibly emotional. Their emotions are all over the place. Tears of joy because they achieved their goal, tears of pain, shouts of jubilation, high giving, to turning cartwheels across the finish line! I have to say that there was a number of times that my eyes welled up with tears. Seeing the joy along with me missing it so much, I was happy for them because I knew what they were feeling. Sad for me because I'll never do it again.

My knee is fine a bit of swelling but pretty much gone now, no pain. My Polar Loop activity tracker gave me these stats.

Thursday Jan. 16 - I met 110% of my goal with 12,253 steps
Friday Jan. 17 - I met 154% of my goal with 17,675 steps
Saturday Jan. 18 - I met 141% of my goal with 14,938 steps
Sunday Jan. 19 - I met 142% of my goal with 15,977 steps


Thank you Dr. Incavo for giving me such a great knee, happy weekend...doing all this starting at 6 weeks 3 days post op!

[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Here I am in the yellow jacket waiting for my daughter to finish.
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Back
Top Bottom