Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now friends!

So happy to hear our posts helped. It seems what is great about this forum is we have all had the moments of hope, fear, pain, celebrations, personal loss and gain --all put together you can come express feelings & feel understood by so many people. You sound good & that's wonderful. By the way I am in SA & have 2 daughters 16 & 20. But at their ages I seem so boring and for my 16 yr old, kind of embarrassing OMG...hahaha. Have to be able to laugh at some stuff to get through this.
Let's work together on the mental support side and we can recover really well together!
Parla
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

There you go, Bonnie!!! You ARE improving, my friend! What a great and supportive family you have. They obviously care a lot about you. We do too, so let us know how you're getting along.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

That's great, Bonnie! You will make it - and now you know there is no need for the journey to the miserable as well! :thumb:
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Hey Bonnie,
I was thinking of you as evening approaches on a Saturday night. I thought what do post ops do for fun on the weekend? I was thinking, pjs, rest, ice, and elevate. And just to get really crazy I walked four steps without my walker!! Funs over, back to bed, hahahah
Also when you were taking about "joint camp" I was thinking " Woodstock"? Then I googled it - so now I know what it is. Us baby boomers! Lots of laughs and I hope you are resting comfortably.
Parla
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Woo hoo Parla!! Four steps without the walker! I was 17 when Woodstock happened. Well me on a Saturday night, on the couch, icing on and off. Playing a game called "Words With Friends" on either my iPad or iPhone. It is like scrabble, interactive with people anywhere. I play with friends here in town and one in England. Do you play? Does anyone else here on the forum play? If so, send me a game/play request...my user name is Bionic Bonnie. Just listening to tv in the background, have about 4 word games going right now with different people. I only cried once today...I just felt miserable. As you know we are having some of our most gorgeous weather of the year right now in Texas. Sunny, warm, low humidity. I see people outside having fun, kids playing, people just enjoying and I thought I just want to be normal again...boo hoo. Been hanging this leg off the bed today getting it bent more than yesterday, sitting and bending, even went up the stairs once very slow the normal way. Then I swell, get stiff, ice, elevate, and do it all over again tomorrow! I am glad you checked in! Last time I was in SA was to run the very first Rock N Roll Marathon when they started it in SA, I guess about 3 years ago.

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

I have words with friends! My daughter installed it but I don't have anyone to play with it. I think I am Parla1st, but I will check. Today I had lots of swelling. Using ice all day. You are right about the weather. Just so we are clear, with Murphy's law, I will better when our great weather is over, hahahaha. We have had the nicest golf weather since I have been down and not been able to play golf. I just have tried to be happy for my friends, hope they appreciate it!
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Good morning friends...just sitting here on the edge of my bed, dangling my legs and bending my knee. Looking out my upstairs window at the beautiful world outside, knowing that soon I will get up up in the morning and go out for a walk! I've been sitting here reading all kinds of topics on Bone Smart, even found the social and games area. What fun!! All that talk about pizza and hot wings does not sit well with me right now, I just had my morning coffee. Speaking of games...Parla, it is your move! I found you on Words With Friends and started a game by sending you a word, you can also chat/instant message on the game too. Does anyone else play? You say you play golf, I am not a golfer, I don't know how people tolerate the heat and humidity in Houston, Texas to play, but right now it is beautiful out. Most of my friends are runners, they whine and complain, about anything and everything, I just answer back with a simple statement...."Just thank God every day that you are able to run!" Running is not the most important thing to me anymore, just being healthy and pain free is all I am after, and if one day God gives me the opportunity to go out for a little jog, I will be thankful. Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

I was lucky because when I was the most immobile and on the recliner for 14 hours a day the weather outside was miserable. Good that you can focus on word games, etc. I couldn't focus on anything and just watched TV and slept. This period will pass and you will be outdoors moving soon.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Hang in there! Soon, you will be outside and active as can be. You are handling everything well ---it can be frustrating, especially to someone like yourself who has been tremendously active. That activity level will certainly come back.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Glad your feeling better and sounds like you need a dose of outdoors. I understand how being closed up with these knees is hard on us. Maybe your family can fix you a nest in the shade for a short while to get you some fresh air. Just keep the sun off your scar so it does not get dark.

I'm glad my first post-op days were in the winter and I am able to get out and walk around outside now. We have been getting out and going to garage sales on Saturdays. Our favorite "weekend date." Yesterday was very cool in the morning and my knee was a little stiff. I used my cane some for the hilly areas. Later I did my wall slides to stretch my bend out again and it helped. That is my new favorite stretch because you control how fast and how deep you stretch each time with the wall supporting you. It also has your leg up so you get the benefit of elevation. I also massae the cramps and spots that have tried to scar down at that time. They were hard a couple of months ago but are soft now with only a tiny spot or two to still work out.

Is the words with friends like scrabble or something? I have seen some friends at work playing something like that. Funny story one of the friends works in a small office area with another of the ones she plays with. He left his i-pad at his desk. To pull a trick on him she keep going over and hitting pass on his pad and she won. He could not figure out how he lost till she laughed and told him what she did.

Our post-op area at the hospital was Joint camp too Parla.:th_heehee: It does sound funny doesn't it. Where is SA?

Donna
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Yes I am loving the weather right now in TX! It is about 70 and I have been detailing our vehicles! I got so mad the other day when I spent 12.00 dollars for just the outside and brought home a car that still had bugs all over the front, and lots of grime on the car!

I never have liked running even when I was an athlete, unless it was with a basketball in my hand.:th_heehee: I have started doing a lot more walking though, and I am riding the exercise bike at the PT place on days when I don't have PT!:biggrin:

Soon you will be back to running, and admire you for that!

Now I think the only way I would run is if someone was chasing me!:hysterical:

Take care of yourself!


 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

SA is San Antonio Texas ! I am so glad I met Bonnie. It is like scramble & you just take turns whe you have time. You can play on iPhone & iPad. My daughter who is 16 plays with friends, so I wasn't cool enough. She teased me about having no one to play with : ( so now she can't tease me anymore. You're welcome to play too kneeworn!
Yes joint camp had me laughing as a child of the 60's! Maybe we have them. My new doctors office helped me with resources WAY more than doctor 1. With my new doctor I have nurse home visits & home pt. It is so helpful!!! I was also given rental equipment like the ice wrap machine & cpm machine & other pt items I was not provided with before.
Parla
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Donna," Words With Fiends" is just like scrabble. It is an app you can download to your iPad, iPhone, Android...etc. I started playing several months ago. I always have a number of games going with a number of friends. It is no pressure you can play at your own pace. The download is free. I am user name 'Bionic Bonnie' and Parla is 'Parla1st' if you want to play just do a user name search for us, and everyone else is welcome too! When I went in for my surgery my friends said.... We will know that you are ok, once you send us a word! My husband got me this iPad for my birthday which was two weeks before my surgery, it has been such a great thing to have during recovery!

RestAssured...I couldnt run if some one was chasing me...I have to fix that! I at least need to be able to run to get out of the rain!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Bonnie I do have a smart phone and may look for that app to download. I can't promise I will go on a lot but it sounds like fun. I'm addicted to my quilting habit and you will find me in my sewing room most of my free time.

However with the weather getting better I'll be getting out on weekends for our "garage sale dates." Ray and I are hooked and will even go on Fridays if we are off together. The best stuff is to be found on Fridays.

I'm off for a week in May for my birthday and had hoped to go hiking. I don't think I will be up to a hike yet but I still think we will head to the Smokeys for a short stroll at least. I will take my cane. Uneven ground still scars me a bit but I am getting better.

I spent 45 minutes doing my wall slides today and think I got at least 115 if not 120. I feel like my strength in my flexion is improving.

I used to love to run too but now I will be happy just to get out and walk and hike again. I know some do run on their totals but I want mine to last a long time so I'm going to be happy with low impact activity.

Hope your having a good day.

Donna
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

What devastating news! I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved "fur-baby." I'm glad someone posted the Rainbow Bridge. Please check it out. I'm glad to hear you're progressing well and that the hospital staff have been so kind. Remember the good times, and know she's no longer suffering. Take care
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Went to the PT yesterday after a weekend of rest and only got my ROM to 79. The week prior is was hard work getting it to 75 so I was disappointed only moving up to 79. Am I not pushing hard enough? Am I resting too much? Will my knee ever fully bend again?

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

You do not need to push it---just keep working it gently and it will come. I discovered that ROM did not come on my terms or time; it came on its own. Your knee will bend and you will regain the ROM---this takes time, and gentle exercises work best---I learned that from experience.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

At three weeks, don't even think that! Much too soon to be worry about that. I've told you before, your job is to manage the pain and swelling - your knee has plenty of flexion in it but it can't bend while your leg is swollen and painful. Think of it like you have a plaster cast on it. It will come in time - just be patient, do your exercises and do what you can. You will see it bend more as time goes on.
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Jo's so right.....you're just barely at the beginning of your recovery journey. Things are still healing big time!! Try to relax about it all and don't put unneeded stress on yourself. 'Taint worth it!
 
Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

I slip backwards with worry, I know! I do need a pep talk from those of you that know more than me. Please bare with me, and just let me have it when I need it! I love that you are all here for me!!
On a happy note, I have some friends coming to pick me up in a couple of hours to take me to lunch. I don't even care about eating, but an outing out into the world will be nice I am sure!!

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Back
Top Bottom