Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

maryo52 a sense of humor and a positive attitude is the only way I can be. I just have to believe that this surgery #4 will do the trick, I won't let myself think any other way. My surgeon tells me he can guarantee me 80% that I will be better off than I am now. I choose to believe it!
 
I got an e-mail from my surgeons PA today and she told me that my new knee will be the Stryker Triathlon TS, so I read up on it. They make a Triathlon for TKR and a Revision Triathlon.

She also said this, and I will quote. Please tell me if this about the ligaments sense to anyone.

" I don't think there is a guarantee, but if there is a problem noted at the time of surgery, Dr. Incavo will let you know. I looked at your exam from your first visit, and it does appear that you have some instability in the ligaments, so that is a possible contributor to your pain. You should have more stability after the surgery."
 
Bonnie, I'm going to tag Josephine so that she can comment. The key point she was making about having more stability after the surgery is an important one!!!
 
Bonnie, I'm going to tag Josephine so that she can comment. The key point she was making about having more stability after the surgery is an important one!!!

Thank you Jamie, I would like to have Josephine's input. Anyone's input Orthodoc, Stability? Ligaments? I am clueless.
 
Let me also tag Sonja (RestAssured) as I believe she has actually been through some "unstable" ligaments with her knee.
 
RunA42K,

Instability in the ligaments? Poster child, should find my face next to the description! :wink: Now that I am awake let me try this again! When Dr. Maale did my revision the VMO had to be shortened, it was so stretched out. That is what has taken me so long, plus kneecap issues. I never thought I would find stability and I won't lie to you...it took a year and a half and finding a trainer like Abby who knows her stuff! We become so dependent on the "good" leg, and so yes pain starts from imbalance. Abby has been teaching me to trust my knee again, and oh what a difference it makes! Scary, yes at first, but you gain more self-Confidence every time you work out! Talk to the OS and ask about this new information. The knee that you have now is the same one I have! It takes a lot of work with specific exercises to get this baby running smoothly! But the rewards are out of this world! :happydance:
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
RestAssured what is the VMO? Guess different knees work differently in different people, mine does not work for me.
 
It is the vastus Medialis Oblique muscle and it run down the inside of the leg. My bones had popped out so many time before the revision, that it stretched it way too far. Yep you are right, different knees for different people! I hope that they can resolve all of your issues with this new knee. One thing I have learned about my knee is, it will not dislocate! I have given it plenty of opportunities! :heehee:
 
If they tell you that your ligaments are stretched out in surgery, will they shorten them? That is what takes longer in recovery, but is very doable!
 
you have some instability in the ligaments, so that is a possible contributor to your pain. You should have more stability after the surgery.

Your OS will determine the stability of your ligaments during the time of surgery. The ligaments will be balanced appropriately to make sure there is good stability. Proper balancing of the ligaments is an integral part of performing the surgery. There are also options to increase "constraint" of the prosthesis during the surgery to make up for ligaments that are not properly functioning.

Orthodoc
 
RestAssured Yes Sonja you can feel good in that it won't dislocate. I have given this knee (which is what you have) several opportunities in falling on my bike. The first time was 7 months post op. I wonder sometimes if that is why all my problems started...or maybe not.
 
Well, I fell several times if you remember! :wink:

But if you have instability in the ligaments that is to be expected. I hope the new revision can solve your problems! I know I did not do myself any favors by pushing my recovery at the first! Follow what your OS says, and actually use the BoneSmart mantra! Your new knee will thank you! :yahoo:
 
RunA42K,

I have not had the pain you have had all the time though! That means you need further intervention! What good is a knee that won't dislocate, if you can't enjoy it!

I am ready to see you happy and exercising again after your revision. Biking, whatever you want to do! That is the MOST important thing. The freedom that a knee will give you! I am so glad they have figured out the type of knee that gives you the greatest chance. :friends:
 
RestAssured, Exercising YES, but I've come to terms with myself that I will not run...maybe just to get out of the rain! My goals are now...to be able to pedal a bike, go up and down a flight of stairs and be able to go out and walk 10 miles! I could even WALK a 1/2 marathon . Quality of life is most important, along with no pain!
 
I totally agree with you! Everyone has to set a goal to remain positive! :) My exercising and food lifestyle are designed to bring back the body into a normal weight zone and tone as much as possible.

We have two different goals, mine is to lose below 200 and have skin removal surgery.. After that, I plan to do "Boot Camp" at the place I exercise!

Bonnie, it took me awhile to get to this point, but I am happy! I can honestly say my goal is within reach! From 435 pounds down to 160-170 is a big goal. I just keep working! :happydance:
 
RestAssured Sonja, I think you are doing an awesome job. You have come such a long way with difficult hurdles. I admire your drive to never give up and keep pushing ahead. You will meet your goals, I have no doubt. I am a person who never gives up, I try to be positive all of the time. When I was working out upper body yesterday, there was a teenager 18ish working out as well, a volley ball player. He he he he, she could not lift as much weight as me in every exercise that we did. Determination…I am 61 and could have been her grandmother, but I was stronger and more physically fit (except my right leg), I will never sit on the side lines and become an old lady, never give up, push ahead, you are only as old as you let yourself be!

When I was in the hospital in August to have my scar tissue removal, my blood pressure they told me was "that of a teenager." When going for pre surgery evals, they say this is all you take? "Nexium…yes, that I all I take." They say, "no BP no cholesterol medication?"
"Nope just Nexium for heartburn!" I know that all of my fitness activity has done me very well for my age. You will be there too!
 
Your OS will determine the stability of your ligaments during the time of surgery. The ligaments will be balanced appropriately to make sure there is good stability. Proper balancing of the ligaments is an integral part of performing the surgery. There are also options to increase "constraint" of the prosthesis during the surgery to make up for ligaments that are not properly functioning.

Orthodoc

Orthodoc Sorry, what does it mean to say there are options to increase "constraint" of the prothesis during surgery to make up for ligaments that are not functioning.
 
Bonnie,

Thank you so much for being so supportive throughout my ordeal! I am still working on strengthening the knee, but have a ways to go! Abby and my new Phy Ther are working on my hamstrings! Rather, they are helping strengthen them by having me do different exercises!

I know you will not give up, you have too much drive for that! I will be praying for you! Keep in touch and we will get through yours like we have through mine! :friends:
 
Bonnie,

Most of the time, the OS can balance the knee by using multiple different techniques in the OR. However, if the OS finds that one of the remaining ligaments the knee is extremely deficient, then he/she can use different types of prostheses to make up for this problem. There are different versions of knee replacements that can subtly or dramatically change how the moving pieces interact with each other. When the pieces of the knee replacement provide the stability, rather than the native ligaments, we refer to that as increased constraint.

Orthodoc
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom