Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie, about your comment wondering if your OS will ever know about your scar tissue surgery and the coming revision, I just wanted to tell you that my original OS knew I had gone to a revisionist after the phystriast had referred me and he actually asked the revision OS to assist him with my surgery, which he did. Turns out they are good friends, I guess my OS, who is considered the best in the area, was interested in learning more.
Wishing you the best with your revision and also enjoy your time with your Mom!
 
It would be fun for all of us to post videos of getting on the ground and then up again. I warn people around me that they are about to witness a comical scene.

maryo52 Let"s do it Mary, it might be fun! Those who are not ready to get on the floor yet can gain some good ideas for when they are ready! I'll see if one of the kids (20 year olds) at the store can take a video with my iPhone tomorrow.
 
maryo52, Funny ways we figure out to go down to the floor then back up when your leg does not bend. This is how I do it.
November 8, 2013 'pre revision'

 
That's much quicker than I can do it, Bonnie! I'm more like a ponderous elephant.
 
Bonnie, I've not been able to get up off the floor that gracefully for years. Good job.

Hugs, Dorothy
 
Bonnie, I've not been able to get up off the floor that gracefully for years. Good job.

Hugs, Dorothy
Well once I have my revision Dorothy I won't be able to do that for a while. With any luck I will be able to get up and down like a normal person once again.
 
Today I am 12 days out from my Revision. Yesterday I had my pre anesthesia evaluation, this morning a chest X-ray, tomorrow will be appointment with the primary care doctor with all the pre surgery blood work, then in the afternoon across town to see the ortho's PA. I am coming down to the wire. Now I am so aware of not wanting to get sick and washing my hands and using the hand gel many times a day. If I got sick they would postpone my surgery and I am so ready to get it done and start recovery and on with my life pain free.

Guess I need to go the the BoneSmart library to read up on questions to ask tomorrow. I should know all the questions after all this time here, but when I am facing a second TKR on the same knee I think I need a refresher course.

If "you" were having the revision in 12 days, what would you ask?
 
How long will the revision surgery take, compared to a primary TKR?
How does the recovery differ from a primary TKR?
Do you have any advice for me ahead of my revision, to increase my understanding of the procedure and recovery?

Just a few question, I am sure others will be along with relevant questions for you.
Good luck with your pre op, and stay healthy!
 
Thank you @pumpkin those are great questions!
 
Best wishes. I bet you will be cruising the trails in your new neighborhood before you know it.
I guess I would ask about the procedure's details...surgical process and what that means for recovery. I trust it will be more similar than different from the original.
 
Well, I found out a few things today. I will have a spinal and general anesthesia. I will not have a drain. I will have staples and a bigger scar than I have now. I will have home healthcare Physical Therapy twice a week for 3 weeks. At the end of 3 weeks, check up with knee doc, staples out and he would like me to have 90 degrees ROM. Out patient PT starts after 3 weeks. Waterproof bandage for one week that I can shower with, but week 2 and 3 I'll be changing the bandage so I'll be using Glad Press and Seal to shower. I won't have to give myself those shots in the stomach for two weeks when I am discharged, I'll just be taking full strength aspirin. I was happy to hear that they don't mind if my toes are polished, so I'll get a pedicure the weekend before Monday's surgery.

I've done all the testing I need to do to get my surgery clearance. Two doctor appts today finished that up. Now I just wait.
 
I get up and down exactly the same way that you do!!! I feel like a baby. Lots of times I end up with both hands and feet on the floor. Then, I have to stand up!! Good luck with your surgery. Kelly
 
I just saw your video. I can't believe someone actually took my idea seriously. If I filmed myself getting down and up, you would wet your pants.
 
skigirl kelly, I get down and up like that because my right knee won't bend enough to do it any other way. I thought you'd be doing it somewhat normal by now. I too have both hands and feet on the floor all at the same time too.

maryo52 I bet however you go down and up is very creative...promise I would not laugh!!
 
my knees bend, but I don't like to kneel on the left one, so mostly I get up the way that you do.
 
Amazingly, I can knee just fine, and crawl on all fours! But with 34" inseam, plus I'm 5'11", I am ungainly on a good day, and getting up and down is an event!

I hope you retain your sense of humor in the coming weeks . . . You'll need it!!
 
Hi Bonnie and good luck on your upcoming revision. I have followed your thread for quite a while as my TKR has been problematic and revision is being considered 14 months out. I have decided to postpone any decisions to next year and currently await allergy testing and results. I look forward to reading your recovery thread. Please provide lots of detail and thanks for sharing!!! Good luck! We will be waiting to hear!
 
spinfanatic Hi there, so happy to meet you. I hope that my thread has been helpful to you and will continue to be as I go through my revision and recovery. I have certainly had my ups and downs for 3 years now. There is no other answer but to get rid of this Smith & Nephew knee and get a new one. For so long I just thought it was me, am I not trying hard enough? Or is this the way it's supposed to be? I finally came to believe that it was not me, it was my knee and that was told to me by a really outstanding surgeon. I will certainly be on here letting you all know about recovery, I still can't believe that I am going through this again. I just thought that revisions happened to other people...not me.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom