Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Bonnie, While Dave is sedated please take some time for yourself. You've had a hard few weeks and I feel you're a very strong person to have coped so well. So please, don't feel guilty taking some time now for yourself.

God bless.
 
I agree with Campervan~please take time for yourself and get your much needed rest. Easier said than done, I know. But if you continue on down this path, your stress level will continue to rise making you more vulnerable to illness. And we want our Bonnie to be healthy!
[Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
 
Bonnie,
I guess the road before you will be slow but I am thankful it is continuing - please take some more time for yourself - PLEASE - it will do Dave no good it you are injured in an accident - sorry to b so blunt but I am worried about you!!!
xoxoxxo,
Linda
 
Bonnie I am going to be very frank - you are no good to Dave dead! My friend you need some rest. Please do not drive home if you are too tired. Now I am really worried about you. Dave wouldn't want you to be exhausted either. Please take care Bonnie. Sounds like Dave is slowly but surely coming through this!
 
Bonnie,
I work in health care with caregivers and carereceivers, and I have seen every thing. If you can stay in a nearby hotel when tired, that would help. The social worker should be able to help you find a hotel. Sounds like Dave is getting better slowly.
Thoughts and Prayers,
 
Bonnie
I'm not married and I have no children but I have parents,
as a child, and you have them I beg of you to take care of yourself. You can't keep up at this rate. You kids MUST be worried about you as well as Dave.
PLEASE get more rest and good food, no more taking care of yourself last.
lean on your kids or ask them to step up, whatever is needed.
if you have a church get them involved lean on them for support.
you and your family are in my prayers
 
Bonnie,
I guess the road before you will be slow but I am thankful it is continuing - please take some more time for yourself - PLEASE - it will do Dave no good it you are injured in an accident - sorry to b so blunt but I am worried about you!!!
xoxoxxo,
Linda

You can all be as frank with me as you want. I take it as endearing friendship and I know that you are right. The night that I fell asleep driving and hit that curb was a big wake up call for me (no pun intended). I have not gone in as early in the day and I have not stayed as late into the night. The past two days when I sat with him all day he didn't even know I was there but I just keep thinking that...What if he opens his eyes and I am not there? I know that I can't dwell on that or I will drive myself crazy! so today is Saturday March 3rd and I have been dealing with this since February 12. Here is the latest update:
Dave had a CT Scan about 5 am Friday to look at the area of his neck to see if there was any reason why the breathing area in that part of his neck/throat was restricting his air intake. It showed nothing so it is just probably swelling and they will continue with some meds to get that swelling down. They say that his lungs are fine now and he does not need the ventilator for the lungs but only for the air passage in the neck area. They also drained over one liter of fluid from his right lung yesterday. The kidney doctor took away the catheter yesterday so no more dialyses, he is done with that! He has been sedated most of the day. It is the Michael Jackson drug that when used the 'right way' it is a very good drug for Dave. The hospital calls it "milk of amnesia!" it comes in a little white bottle. His white count was lower Friday than it was on Thursday! They all tell me that these are all steps in the right direction and that it will take time but he is 'not' going backwards. But at the same time they tell me that he is not out of the woods yet and that he is still very sick - critical. Two days ago there was talk of a tracheotomy.

After going to physical therapy Thirsday I got a lot of positive feedback from all kinds of people for doing that, so yesterday (Friday) once I was awake and called in to talk to Dave's nurse to find that he'd just be sleeping for some time, I laced up my new Newton running shoes and did 3 miles at local Park where in the past I have run thousands of miles. Running/walking "shhh don't tell Dave when he wakes up that I was running, he worries about me, but I can't help myself!" I fully expect to have sore calves tomorrow and and I will like it!! My daughter Lacy and I will bring our running shoes down to the hospital with us since between 6 and 8 pm we can't be in his room. Usually I just sit in the cafeteria for two hours but on Saturday and Sunday (weather permitting) we will walk/jog around Rice University for our sanity check! Rice University is just a very short walking distance from the medical center.

I've made my morning call today (Saturday) to check on Dave. Nurse says he is still sleeping, surgeon was by and said that his incision looked great. Once the pulmonary doctor comes by they will do some kind of test to see how he can do with his breathing today with no ventilator. They don't take it out, they just turn it off and deflate the tube inside of him. If he is does well it can come out and if not he keeps it longer.

I did tell my physical therapist to expect me every Tuesday and Thursday morning to start getting this knee working again. We just did easy stuff on Thursday getting my quads to fire again and soft tissue work. He said go ahead and fall asleep if you like...we won't wake you up! I also had 3 friends wanting to come donate blood in Dave's name yesterday. I wish I could do it every day because there is such a need. I will be a regular now for sure, but once only every 8 weeks they tell me.

I will try and get a few things done around the house this morning before the trip into town, and for those of you in the USA, now I am starting to freak out thinking..."How will I find time to do my taxes before the 15th of April?"

Have a wonderful weekend friends!! God Bless you with pain free recoveries and ease your fears of your surgeries to come for in the end it is ALL worth it!! :doggieshmooze:
 
Great update Bonnie - so thankful you are taking some time for yourself and finding a better balance overall. Continued prayers all the time!
xoxo,
Linda.
 
Thank you for the update, sounds like you have better balance during this stressful time. Take good care, both of you and your family.
 
Bonnie, why don't you call the IRS and ask for an extension on your tax due date. I am sure they will grant one! Your husband is in critical condition and you just don't need to spend time on that now. Make a call. I'll bet it's just a matter of a form.
 
Hi Bonnie
We are all still thinking of you and Dave. I'm pleased that you are making time for you and your knees - I bet it does you the world of good to put those running shoes on and go :thumb:. Take care and positive thoughts being sent to Dave xxx
 
Bonnie, I'm so happy to read your report. This is progress!! As far as taxes go....I agree an extension might be the answer. You could go to one of the tax prep companies and they can do it for you. You might even consider having them do your taxes too this year if you normally do them yourself.
 
Bonnie,Glad you are taking time for yourself. It is not easy, the "what if's" will drive you mad. When you talk to Dave's nurse, does she tell him you called, she could tell him, that you're in PT on those days, and you will be in later. He will hear her, may. It remember though( milk of amnesia). Just wondering. When my patients family called, even when they were not responsive, I always told them.
 
Hi Bonnie, great to hear the good news on Dave's recovery. And glad you're making time for yourself. Your taxes - I agree with the others above that your IRS would give you an extension. I'm sure US system for agents is similar to New Zealand and they would then have until the end of the current tax year to file your returns. So you wouldn't even have to get the data and documents to them so soon. Take care
 
Bonnie,
Even though I haven't been here in a while, I have been keeping up with your thread on my phone. Dave's progress is slow but very encouraging. Can't even begin to imagine what these last weeks have been like for you. Happy to hear that you are back to PT and trying to take better care of yourself. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!
Niki
 
Since my update this morning, the pulmonary doctor has said that we are looking at a tracheotomy on Monday. Been here by his bed side for about 3 hours now, he is asleep and has been. Almost time for my daughter and I to take that walk around Rice University (3 miles) then maybe to a Subway for dinner then back here at 8 pm for a bit!
 
Bonnie, The trach will be less trauma to his mouth, plus when not snowed, he can talk to you.
Hope you enjoyed your run with your daughter.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom