Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Bonnie, sounds like you're getting off to a wonderful start with this revision.

I'm so glad they did not have to crack tibia. :yes!:
 
I can say I've been pain free the entire time I've been here in the hospital. I'm going home today.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 285
  • [Bonesmart.org] Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie
    image.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 304
Going home already - great!

I do hope this surgery will be the last you need! :prayer::angel:
 
In my release instructions from my doctor he says...if it hurts, don't do it! Don't let anyone else do it to you tell them to stop! Sounds like he's been reading BoneSmart.

I got to come home a day early because my vitals and blood work were perfect each time I was tested. I could get in and out of bed get dressed and to the bathroom totally unassisted.

Im taking it slow and steady!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In my release instructions from my doctor he says...it it hurts, don't do it! Don't let anyone else do it to you tell them to stop! Sounds like he's been reading BoneSmart.
It's great to hear that your surgeon is a closet Bonesmartie! :yay:
 
Wow, Bonnie.....you're doing so well! I'm thrilled to read about how mobile and pain free you are in these early stages. I know you are aware of the importance of taking things slowly, so I won't preach to the choir! But do take extra special care of yourself and continue to let us know how you're doing. We want you well and smiling!!!
 
No worries @Jamie, I am a model patient. I'm not trying to hurry anything along. Tonight I am 5 days post op so after 2 1/2 days at home, all I do is use the CPM, and only exercises in my bed. Ankle pumps, quad sets and heel glides just a couple times a day. Slow and steady wins the race. I walk in my house with a walker only to use the bathroom, and to get something to eat or drink...no cooking more like warming in the microwave. I'm not even using my crutches yet, just using what puts the less amount of stress on my body.

I went to my first Physical Therapy yesterday. No standing whatsoever. Just an evaluation basically, I am 3 degrees shy of -0- extension and when in a sitting position with feet on the floor I was 90 degrees. We didn't even try to work on ROM, just took baseline measurements. My surgeon lets me shower even though I have staples and I wait each day till my husband is home from work to do that since otherwise I'd be home alone.

My leg is sore as you would expect it to be but I am not pushing or being aggressive in anyway shape or form. I watch TV all day, play words with friends, I let my dogs out when they need to go out. Not rushing at all here to do anything. I've taken myself off the schedule at work until January. My employer says TAKE ALL THE TIME YOU NEED, WE WANT YOU BACK HEALTHY!

So if anything, I'm kinda boring right now because I'm not in a hurry to do anything!!! I guess my ROM is 90, I don't know and I don't care! Now that does not sound like the early 1st TRK Bonnie! Good things come to those who wait. Next big day is November 20 when I get my staples out!
 
Bonnie,
Sounds like you are doing well and taking it easy. Boring is best in the early days.
:elevate:
Oh yeah...after my revision in 2013, I got a new Temperpedic bed that allows me to elevate my legs, all day long, all night long with toes above nose! This is great! When I got it in 2014 I said geese, I wish I would have had this for my TKR and Revision...not knowing I was yet to have a second revision. This bed has more than paid for itself!
 
I inherited a bed like that from my Mother, I love it. I sleep with my leg elevated half the night. It still helps.
 
I agree, Bonnie. Think of you often and hope things are going okay.
 
Hi everyone,

I'm doing ok. I am two weeks post op today. I get my staples out tomorrow.

This second revision has been nearly as pain as my original horrid TRK. My first revision (2nd knee) was a breeze, but this 2 revision (3rd knee) has been tougher. More likely because of having three knee replacements on the same knee in 4 years. Since it took 3 1/2 hours just to get out the Stryker nickel knee it took a toll on my tibia and it's been very painful.

I just lay home everyday by myself with the CPM, my dogs and watch TV and doze on and off. I've been to PT 6 times. My surgeon wanted me to start right way. My Physical Therapy is 100% non weight bearing and mainly consists of soft tissue work to get the swelling out/down. Ankle pumps, foot rotations to right and left, ABC's with foot etc., don't worry no one is trying to hurt me. My CPM did go back today, I had been using it up to 100 degrees 4-6 hours a day.

I do, do some heel glides at Physical Therapy and for two days my ROM was 74 degrees. Two weeks post op I am not one bit concerned. I'm resting way more with this knee than any other surgery. As of yesterday, 13 days post op, I gave up the walker and crutches. I rarely ice my knee like previousl surgeries but I do use heat on my tibia because that bone is so achey. I sept 8 hours over night with no pain pills, I am turning the corner.

As far as ROM goes for me... if there is one thing I've learned from Bonesmart in 4 1/2 years is...don't worry about it. It will come...ultimately I want to be able to walk a 1/2 marathon, ride my bike when ever I feel like it and workout cardio/weights in the gym. I'll get there, I'm not the least bit worried about it. As long as my knee lets me do that than I am happy!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that was quite a marathon to remove the old implant! It's no wonder things are pretty tender with your knee now and I'm sure you know that could last a while as you heal. That's significant trauma. BUT....the rest of your report is really, really good!! You're doing things just right and keeping patience as part of your recovery mantra.

You're going to be an expert on those movies! :heehee:
 
Bonnie,
Thanks for the update, sounds like you are doing well after the extensive work to remove the old implant.
With time to heal, you will be back to :walking:and :bicycle1:.
 
Staples are out and Doc measured my ROM as 80 today 15 days post op. They were wishing it would have been 90 degrees as they measured me at 120 degrees during surgery. Instead of going back in one month for a check up they are bringing me back in, in 3 weeks on December 11 to check my ROM. Due to my rapid scar tissue growth, they will consider doing an MUA if I do not meet a certain criteria within a certain time frame. Don't ask the numbers, because I don't know. They did say that it was without a doubt one of the most difficult lower implant removals that they have ever done.

Let me just say about the possibility of an MUA, yes it is early to consider such a thing but I am more used to doctors dismissing the idea of scar tissue and I've never had a doctor looking ahead and being proactive in my case. Yes, he hopes that the arthrofibrosis was due to being allergic to the nickel knee, but knowing how I grow scar tissue after each surgery I am happy that he is leaving the possibility out there and keeping an open mind. He did tell me that my entire knee was indeed completely filled with scar tissue again just 5 months after surgery to remove it.

Knee is straight, solid and stable and I have no restrictions in PT, I just need to get some ROM before scar tissue tries to claim me again...maybe!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom