Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

My revision was weight bearing and I felt great until I got overconfident on day 3! That's when I got stuck in an immobilizer brace
 
Thanks Bonnie and @trailspud.

Bonnie, I forgot to congratulate you on your new granddaughter. What joy and you have so much to look forward to.
 
Today is the day. I've never had surgery later in the day before. Although it's just 6 am now, I'm to arrive at the hospital at 11 am, so maybe 12 hours from now I'll be done. Doc said surgery would last 4 hours.

Later...
 
All the best Bonnie @RunA42K ! I look forward to your update from the other side!
 
Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

Dorothy
 
Sending you and your surgeon positive thoughts. Looking forward to your update.
 
Just to keep these handy, here is the post op reading.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping all has gone well, you're out of the OR and sleeping g peacefully. You deserve a great recovery.
 
Surgery took 4 1/2 hours today. Didn't get to my room until after 8 pm. I'm pretty wacko right now so more later but the good news is...they were able to get out all the cement, glue and implant without cracking my tibia so tomorrow I get to take a hospitl walk around the floor.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so pleased, Bonnie!
Rest up now and we'll talk to you later. :friends:
 
Happy to hear you can start walking today.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Sounds like a great result! Enjoy your ward walk! Glad that knee is done and dusted so you can get on with living again.
 
Great news Bonnie. Glad you're able to get "out and about"
 
I've walked twice today and sat in a chair for 30 minutes. Considering it's been less that 24 hours since my 5 hour surgery I think I am doing really good!

Surgery was actually 5 hours. 3 1/2 hours to chisel out the old knee and cement, then another 1 1/2 to put in the new knee.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom